“Go for the boxer shorts if nothing else”

Chatuchak Weekend Market
Ranked #17 of 457 Shopping in Bangkok
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Chatuchack Weekend Market is indoor and outdoor market, Also known as JJ Market was reached a landmark status as a must-visit place for tourists. A huge market about 35 acres, with 27 sections in all, Many shops more than 10,000 shops and stalls offering a wide range of products from Thai handicrafts, handmade products, clothing, accessories, arts and painting, house decorations, households, souvenirs and gifts, pets, plants and book. The heaven for shopaholics!! Opening Hours; Tuesdays - Thursdays for Plants & gardens. Fridays for Wholesale night market Saturdays - Sundays for all areas are opened. Enjoy your shopping!!
Sydney
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Go for the boxer shorts if nothing else”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

If you are in Bangkok on the weekend, don't miss your opportunity to visit Chatuchak Weekend Markets. Get on the Skytrain and go to Mo Chit station, then follow the signs. Or you can take the Metro there (the Metro station is right next to the market and closer than the Skytrain). The markets are absolutely enormous, and they sell everything under the sun. Absolutely everything. Leave companions who hate crowds at the hotel .

My TOP TIP is for males who wear boxer shorts: buy some from the vendors who sit on the pavement with suitcases full of them; most of them are tasteful striped cotton designs. In Australia in a department store it generally costs about $AUD20+ for a pair of boxers; at Chatuchak I bought them at 3 pairs for 100 baht! That's just over $1 each. They are just as good as the Australian ones, and one pair even has a "modesty mesh" usually seen in swimming trunks. I wish I had bought many more pairs as it would have set me up for life.

SIZE WARNING: I am pretty slim and wear size 32 jeans, and M-size boxers from Australia (I think they go up to something like XXL or migher even higher?). But I had to buy XL-size Chatuchak boxers. They were the largest size available. One vendor even charged me a bit extra for XL. Incidentally, on our earlier travels, at the Robinson Department Store near Central Pier (Taksin Skytrain) after I bought I Thai SIM card for my BlackBerry so I could make cheap local calls, I bought a nice pair of XXL boxers in a cheery pink and white check pattern for about $3. XXL was the largest size available.They fit me fine, maybe just a tad parachute-like around the legs. Are there no larger sizes in Thailand? Is everyone skinny? Or do fuller figures wear briefs? I can't work it out. Can I POSSIBLY be the fattest boxer-short wearer in Bangkok? I am like a rake. To all, be aware that the alleys in the markets are narrow and crowded.

Or buy a pair of fake Vans seakers like hubby did for about 32 bucks.

Try and find the pets section. This is delightful, all cute doggies and pussies luxuriating under swivelling fans or in air-conditioned booths. (It is hotter than Hades at the markets.) Though with the number of stray dogs in Thailand maybe not to be encouraged. I bought a Superdog outfit for my best mate at home, Billy the Schnauzer.

I also bought a bespoke ice-cream, which was fun. The lady dipped it in my choice of toppings and it was tops!

Visited June 2011

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A definate must!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2011

A definate must see- worlds largest outdoor market! You won't make your way around everything but chances are you'll end up buying something as you can buy everything! Obviously very hot and crowded at times, so keep your bag safe and stay rehydrated!! Try stop by the pet bit to see the teenytiny animals!

2 Thank torij89
guntur
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“place for teens and funiture lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

we went on Saturday it was hot but very interesting .wonderful place for shopping.young designers have shops for trendy cloths at very good price .bought many souvenirs ,footwear leather goods bags accessories and any thing you ask for. we also bought wooden cardboard and metal furniture and the shipping agent is right there .lots of local food available

Visited May 2011
2 Thank padmavathidevi
Makati
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 279 helpful votes
“Whole day shopping”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

If your planning to buy a lot, go here. Price is cheaper compared to that of platinum/MBK/Siam, but come prepared! With cheap prices comes great sacrifice! :) its all worth it.

I suggest you allot one day here, (again this is applicable if you plan to buy lots of merchendise). Bargain! Get a map and plan where you want to go, most of the time, men clothes are in one cluster, womens are on the other.

With a map, you wont be spending time and energy (of course) to check out things that you dont want to buy.

I think there are three money changers, rates are lower compared to the money changer in platinum/malls.

Bring umbrella! And dont expect same shopping experience a that in the malls, its an open area. If you plan to buy less, then go after 3pm where the sun is less. During saturdays when stalls starts to close, you will start seeing stands in te road, this is around 630pm onwards.

All in all, i had a great bargain here, since i bought a lot! If you have a trolley for shopping, bring it. I really recommend you bring one, less hassle.

10 Thank Travelandtravel005
Palm Bay, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Best place to shop in Bangkok”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

Yes, it is very hot in the market and very crowded...but we would have liked to spend all day there rather than a half day. The market is huge! We heard an estimate of around 15,000 stalls. You really have to go in there with a plan of which stalls you are going to visit first, then next, etc. We were a little overwhelmed of where to begin. You also need to go in with the attitude of "If you see something you want to buy, buy it!" If you think you will just come back later...you will never find that same stall again. We didn't end up buying everything we wanted for that very reason. Most vendors are willing to bargain quite a bit, but some stalls are fixed price. There is a pet area as well with all sorts of animals supposedly, but we only saw cute puppies and kittens. The antiques were much cheaper than what you would have paid at River City (where all the nice antique stores are). I'm not too sure if the antiques were real or how old they were, but if you are looking for something to decorate your house with, this is a good place to do it. There are lots of clothes for young people and the market has similar fashion stalls to those at Siam Square. If you are buying something fragile, the stall keepers do a really good job of packing it up for traveling. If you are getting hot, I recommend trying some snow ice from a vendor. It is much lighter than ice cream and is served with fruit. Very tasty! If you are shoppers, plan on spending most of the day there and try to get there early. Also, toilets cost 2 Baht to use and there is not toilet paper, so bring your own.

Visited June 2011