“Great rooftop pool, located where all the action is”
Review of Buddy Lodge Hotel

Buddy Lodge Hotel
Ranked #181 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Great hotel, clean and friendly service. Lovely rooftop pool and bar. Located in lively area of Khao San road. Not ideal choice for families, if you want some peace and quiet. Breakfast was very average.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Rana K,

Thank you for staying at the Buddy Lodge Hotel, our whole team were very pleased to read you were happy with all the different hotel facilities we offer.

We are currently in the process of reviewing our breakfast menu and are planning to make some significant changes in the near future.

Thank you once again for staying and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Bangkok.

Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights, perfect backpacker lOcation , right next to mc Donald's on kohsan rd but once you'd enter the hotel you wouldn't think so.. Beautiful rooms and best pool that I've seen anywhere.. Oozes class.. The manger was an English guy who was extremely helpful to us , it's a no brainer if your looking for somewhere to stay in Bangkok .. Just book it

• Stayed: July 2013
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Lucey Dan,

Greetings to you from the busy city of Bangkok.

Thank you for taking the time to write a short review of your recent time at our hotel, we really appreciate your kind words about our location, pool and customer service.

Thank you also for your kind recommendation to other travelers to book our hotel if they are going to Bangkok.

See you next time.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I spent only one night at Buddy Lodge in July of 2013 and I was not impressed. To start with, the room was in serious need of a paint job. What a difference a paint job would make. The room is looking really beat up. The bathroom was clean enough though the showerhead was stained with hard water type blue stains. In the middle of the night someone was smoking outside my room (whole hotel is supposed to be non-smoking) which stunk it up. The noise level outside my window was distracting though to be fair you are located on Khao San road. That being said, a set of heavy velvet curtains would dampen the noise from outside considerably. The rate I paid did not include breakfast which for whatever reason annoys me. I mean just give me a free bagel or something so I can start my day.

The worst part of my experience came at check out. When I booked the hotel online, I booked for three nights. I checked out after a very dissatisfying first night and they demanded I pay for a second night. I told them I'm not going to pay for a second night as I didn't stay there. They sited their cancellation policy as a reason for the second night. The way I read it, if I didn't show up or cancel within 72hours of showing up, I was on the hook for one night. And I paid the one night, but why they wanted a second is a mystery to me. RAther than get into a battle with someone in a foreign country, I decided to charge it to my mastercard and I disputed the charge. Waiting to hear back on that. Let me paste the cancellation policy here and you make the decision:

In case of cancellation less than 72 hours prior to arrival or in case of no-show, one night-stay per room will be charged to your credit card.

I can't say whether or not the other hotels on Khao San are better or worse but I went about 15 minutes walk down the road to the Roof View Inn and paid $20 for a single room that included a great breakfast and was in a really quiet area. Because I felt extorted upon checkout by the hotel, I am forced to give a Poor rating.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank The-Guy-In-Kansas
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear The Guy In Kansas,

Thank you for staying at the Buddy Lodge Hotel in Bangkok, we are sorry to read you did not have an enjoyable time during your stay.

We would like to take a moment and try and respond to some of the points raised in this review:

At our hotel we have tried very hard to enforce a non-smoking policy. We have put no smoking signs up in reception, all the hotel corridors and each guest room. Unfortunately, not all guests respect this rule and in the early hours of the morning it is very difficult to stop offending guests. As a direct result from this review we will instruct our housekeeping department to complete regular checks of the corridors at night time to try and stop this from occurring again in the future.

When a guest chooses to book through the hotel website they have the option of selecting whether they want the room to include breakfast or not. In this particular case the reviewer did not select breakfast as an option. They knew before they arrived at the hotel that breakfast was not included and this cannot really be validated as a criticism of the hotel.

If as the reviewer stated he was so dissatisfied with the room why did he not inform our Front Office Manager and give us the opportunity to assist him and solve the problems mentioned in the review above. All of the issues cited in this review as reasons for leaving could have easily been solved if they had been communicated to us the next morning.

When the reviewer contacted the reception and informed us he wished to check out 2 days earlier than scheduled the reason given was because he wanted ‘to catch a flight to another country’. He made no mention of remaining in Bangkok or changing to a better, cheaper hotel.

Our Front Office Manager informed the reviewer that if he wished to check out early he would incur a one day penalty clause. This is a standard penalty clause which most hotels would have in place, as each reserved room has been specifically blocked for each guest booking and we would have lost business as a result of the cancellation.

The Buddy Lodge is sorry if the reviewer felt coerced or pressured into having to pay the cancellation penalty, but the reasons given above are not in our opinion sufficient grounds to cancel an existing reservation.

We are disappointed we were unable to reach a compromise and wish ‘The Man In Kansas’ happier travels in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Room is very clean , location is perfect, and friendly staff. The more reasons that i book this hotel because i want swimming pool. the pool area is very big and nice and at the first floor there are big tour operation so you can buy the ticket to cambodia at the tour operator. and stafff is fluently english speaking. Very recommend if you want the clean room, nice pool and valued price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Alejandro M
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Alejandro M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at both the Buddy Lodge and Buddy Boutique Inn during your recent trip to Thailand.

We really appreciate you taking the time to post reviews on Trip Advisor for both hotels. Your kind words have been shared with our whole team and I am sure it will inspire us to continue providing a high level of customer care to all our guests.

We hope you will return again to the Buddy Lodge after your holiday in Cambodia.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel room was average and clean. Nice decor and big queen size bed. The pool was wonderful. The location was great, but as expected,it was noisy from the bar downstairs. I was allowed a late check out, but it cost 1000 baht, a bit extreme, but made things easier for me. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Amber123161

Dear Amber 123161,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for taking the time to write a on-line review of your recent holiday experiences.

We are glad you had an enjoyable time at the Buddy Lodge and liked our newly renovated rooftop pool area.

At our hotel we understand that many of the flights and buses out of Bangkok tend to leave in the evening, which is why if requested we do offer the late check-out service.

Should our guests choose this option all hotel facilities are made available to them, such as the swimming pool, fitness centre and free WIFI, during the agreed time period.

Thank you once again for choosing the Buddy Lodge Hotel.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Buddy Lodge was a great place to stay along khao san road, lovely room and facilities, clean and modern. Great location, away from the noisier end of the road! Staff were brilliant and really helpful in giving advice about attractions and travelling arrangements. Geat price aswell, stayed at a different hotel along this road for the same price without all the same facilities.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NCaiquo
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear NCaiquo,

Thank you for choosing the Buddy Lodge Hotel and for writing a Trip Advisor review of your recent hotel experience.

We were delighted to read you were impressed with our large colonial style rooms and would like to thank you for your kind words regarding our staff's high level of customer care.

Take care and hope to see you next time.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Beautiful clean rooms, helpful friendly staff. Right in the middle of the madness of khaosan road bangkok. Stayed there at the start of our trip and decided to go back at the end with more friends. Will definitely recommend to others and will be staying there again when I return to Bangkok.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jasmine M

Dear Jasmine M,

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot to everyone at the Buddy Lodge when we receive such a good positive on-line review.

We also really appreciate your recommendation to fellow travellers to stay here and hope you will have the opportunity to return again in the near future.