“Convenient”

Buddy Lodge Hotel
Ranked #172 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
“Convenient”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Fairly accessible. Was first stop over in Bangkok. Room's fantastic, clean and basic. Pricey but it is on Khaosan Road. Really really need sound proofing though.
Friendly staff always happy to have a chat. Great wifi (free) and the room service is great.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank TravellingJanieBear
CRM_officer, Marketing Communication &CRM officer at Buddy Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reading
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This hotel is in the middle of the action on Khaosan Road, despite this, it is actually possible to sleep at night. The rooms are quirky, clean with all the usual stuff you want - Aircon, mini bar, TV etc. When you go into the hotel, it feels like you are staying in a shopping centre (essentially, you are). Only stayed one night, but would go back, as the location is perfect (well, for khaosan road). Only watch out would be the bill for the mini bar - watch this, as the cleaning staff miscalculated - I am pretty sure that was a one off though.

Room Tip: Book in advance, check the room before hand - booked 2 months in advance and there were still no dou...
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Buddy lodge was a stop-over for me on the way through from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I stayed two nights and had a room on level one. First room on the first floor.

My flight was delayed and I arrived very early in the morning after a seriously bad taxi trip from the international airport. I used the public taxi system from BK international and had a receipt from the taxi counter providing my hotel details and a map, I was allocated a driver and he said he knew where the hotel was, but he didn't. He drove like a maniac down the super highway, and there were no seatbelts in the car. It was frightful. I felt sick, but kept my head. In the end he dropped me off at the wrong hotel in the early hours of the morning.. not a great start to my trip. I had to catch another taxi to Buddy, from some seedy laneway, not HAPPY!

Anyone who stays at Buddy, should know, that taxis drop you at end of the street - either end, and the middle is mildly mental - party crew all over the road, hammered and having a great time, all good and well, but when you are trying to find your hotel amongst this with a trolley bag after ten hours international travel, not so funny. I am open minded, but in short its a bit over- whelming... The road is closed where the hotel is and only for street traffic. Hence taxi drivers tend to avoid..and you tend to pay premium for the privilege too. My trip there, was double than for my trip back to BK international airport to fly out. of BK. go figure. Seems I got a really bad taxi driver although I followed the correct channels - public taxi rank and the rest.

It's not so easy to see the hotel facade amongst the party throngs when you are wandering down the street, but when you do, its at the back, off an arcade behind Mac Donalds. Good luck!

When I finally arrived, staff were really pleasant and showed me to my room. It was a generous size, very effective air conditioning, floor boards, fridge and satellite T.V. Bathroom is small, but very clean and adequate. - you can't however swing a cat in there...there are toiletry products for free and towels are clean, albeit small. Outlook of room was very average, bird poo on the roof next door and vista over other hotels. For smokers, you can smoke in the room. It didn't smell of smoke though and was very clean overall. Style wise it's really nice.

Bed was super comfortable, clean sheets, large King size bed, pillows and throws.Biggest concern was the lighting... so dim, I couldn't see and whilst you can operate the lighting from the beside table, its complicated and at 4am in the morning, not easy.

I actually broke two of my toes in this hotel..by closing the bedroom door from the hallway/ensuite to get a better boost from the air-con. There was a huge brass, magnetic knob on the floor that latched to the hallway door - when open. Once this door was closed - due to dim lighting I didn't see it, and went to unpack my case, and walked straight into it. Needless to say, the pain was off the radar. I spent half a day in Chiang Mai hospital after I left BK the next day. Watch the hell out for that floor knob, it's lethal. Turn the lights up!

In terms of room and rate, its cheap and cheerful for BK, but, I wouldn't stay again. I am up for a party, but this place really caters for budget/party animal stays In BK. I knew the location before I booked, but in saying that, I didn't expect not to find the hotel on the street or get out of there easily and have taxi drivers avoiding it. Which they do!

Amazing and cheap street food can be brought from the street market though outside hotel and its quality. It's only 1 minute from your room - all good. There are some great massage places on the street too, and they are brilliant, prices are really fair and you can have an amazing massage upstairs - above entrance off street - which I did twice during my stay.

Location of the hotel is on party street, I knew this before I booked, but I guess you can party there and stay close by without sleeping in this locale. I was totally over it by the time I left, there are throngs of tourists off their face, and people just all over the place. There is a small bar downstairs on street level, it's nice and overlooks the party crew, as its right on the street level. Music is cool and prices are fine. Good people watching and street spotting.

The Mac Donalds off the arcade of the hotel is immaculate, pleasant and very groovy for a Mac Donalds, It overlooks a fish pond with gorgeous fish! Weird having that atmosphere but really nice. I had breakfast here before my early flight to Chiang Mai. It's run ship-shape, clean and has great service.

Big tip - taxi drivers told me that they charge more for people getting lift from this street than from others nearby. I was lucky and got a great taxi driver who actually charged me nearly 50 % less than it cost to get me from here to the airport - it's a fair distance too. I tipped, and they appreciate this immensely.

Lastly, the noise from the room was intense on my final night at Buddy, I might have well headed down to the club in my P.J's rather than try to sleep... it was thud, thud, thud...and it vibrated my room. I didn't head to bed until 1.30 am and that's when it was in full force.

If you want to party hard and have little sleep, this place will really suit you. Personally I'd rather stay elsewhere to sleep and party there on my terms!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nightclub!I think the entire place could feel the thud though!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank travelbella_11
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights at the start of trip and again 3 weeks later for the end of our trip in August. The hotel was perfectly located for our needs on the busy Koh San Road. The rooms were lovely, 4 poster beds, clean, spacious, lovely swimming pool on the roof. Beware of the taxi drivers outside trying to grab you to use them, or lying about the Grand Palace being closed. Overall, good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a double bed rather than two singles. The double rooms are mostly the superior ones.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here for three nights during the beginning of August. Our first impressions were tainted by a less than friendly welcome and the realization that breakfast was not included (for the money you would expect it).

The rooms are clean and the mini-bars are well stocked. The bathrooms include basic smellies and you get clean towels. TV is good size and the bed is nice. Gym clean and pool area nice.

However, the rooms did not make up for the general feel of the hotel, which was somewhere in the realms of, 'Your not here for long so we're not that bothered'.

If I was to stay again, I would not get a balcony room- pointless as it looks onto a wall and everyone throws their cigarettes down from above.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the large balcony- not worth the $
1 Thank Gemmagrdn
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I had changed my booking through Orbitz but when I got there the management refused. So I lost a day, and then they tried to tell me the room wasn't ready which they had started charging me for the day before. Room service was cleaning it apparently, but why since I wasn't even there to make it dirty. Made no sense. I argued and finally got a room. When I wanted to add a day to my stay they charged more than the rate I already had, again a management failure to make customers happy.

Rooms are nice though, location is great. Pool is very nice. It is noisy at night which we didn't mind but I can see many not liking that. Some nights we could hear noises till 5am. Free wifi is a plus.

There are definitely cheaper places around the area. Stay here for the pool, I doubt many offer that.

Room Tip: Some rooms have nice big balconies, get those if possible.
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on our 1st few nights in Bangkok before we traveled to the islands the place is great right in the centre of all the hussle and bussle. Great price for the location and all the others about street noise...we didn't hear a thing. If ur a young / old couple or a group of traveling friends this place is a must abit of luxury bang in the mix of it all at a gd price.

• Stayed July 2012