“Value for money”

Ranked #190 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Value for money”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My tour agency booked us at Bangkok Palace, but I saw not so good review about this hotel and decided to book my own hotel. Found and booked Eastin the night before departure. It only cost me S$110 for a twin sharing room with breakfast. The good thing is Eastin is just a two minute walk to Bangkok Palace. As I didn't want to be too distance from the main tour group, this was the best choice I had and I had to admit I made the right choice. A big breakfast spread awaited us the next morning after we checked out our room.

The only thing which is not too nice is the room air con. It gets rather noisy if you switch it to full blast. Other than that, everything was good for us.

Room Tip: A room facing the highway is better, else I believe you will be facing the next door hotel building...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Krugersdorp, South Africa
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We visited Bangkok in February 2012. The quality of this hotel is supreme to say the least. The rooms were really modern and service was excellent. I have nothing to complain about. The restaurant had the most amazing Burgers we had ever eaten. Location is great as it was quite central and just a few minutes walk to the markets at night and 5 minutes by tuk tuk or taxi to the shopping malls, I do advise you to take a drive in the tuk tuk. It was a very thrilling experience. Wifi was free as we were given free wifi vouchers on our arrival. On the day we arrived my girlfriend and I went for a full body massage. it was relatively cheap and very relaxing... Overall it was fantastic and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Use the TUK TUK service. An experience I will never forget. Also have the Beef Burgers from the rest...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Had I not stayed previously at the Easton on Sathorn, I would have rated the Eastin Makkasan as "OK", but I have and a comparison was inevitable. Simply put, the Makkasan does not compare with its sister on Sathorn. It is actually quite odd from a branding perspective. Both have Chef Man chinese restaurants with the same menu.The one on Sathorn has a lemon chicken with almond that is exceptional. Tender and delicately favoured. The one produced on Makasan is rubbery and tasteless. The pool area at Sathorn is much nicer. The buffet at Sathorn is more impressive for its scale and variety. The one at Makkasan is limited (but lower cost). The rooms at Makkasan are equally comfortable, but beware the noise in the mornings from the goods trains .

Room Tip: Not facing the goods train line
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
EMB_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Hotel Makkasan, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear james m,
Greetings from Eastin Hotel Makkasan Bangkok.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Eastin Makkasan. It is greatly appreciated to receive feedback on areas in which our guests are satisfied and areas where we can improve on their experience for the benefit of our future patrons.
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms as many guests comment on how pleased they were with them compared with other hotels in our category.
I must apologise for your disappointing experience with our Chef Man restaurant compared with the one located at Eastin Grand Sathorn. As they are both operated by the same management I will speak to them personally about the issue with your meal as both our hotels’ Chinese outlets have a very commendable reputation in Bangkok.
If I may be allowed to reply to your comparison between us and Eastin Grand Sathorn. The Eastin chain of international hotels and residences covers all categories of properties and serviced apartments, from deluxe to more budget-oriented accommodation, therefore I would like to politely point out that a direct comparison is not, as you mentioned, inevitable nor is our branding odd. Eastin Grand Sathorn is slightly over a year old, whereas we are older, and as you mentioned regarding the buffet, our prices are lower, as are our room prices, but we maintain the Eastin brand standard as required for all hotels in the group.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Eastin Grand Sathorn and I regret that your stay at Eastin Makkasan did not live up to this but, to maintain our reputation for high standards of service coupled with excellent value for money, must comment that a direct comparison with our immediate competitors would have been fairer had you had the chance to experience one of them. The vast majority of our guests, both in person and via media such as Trip Advisor, overwhelmingly praise the facilities and amenities we offer for the price paid.
May I end by saying that we were pleased to have been of service during your time with us and we hope that you have the chance to stay with us again and compare us more favorably with similar hotels.

Best regards,
Chutima Kaewta Fortescue
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at the Eastin Hotel Makkasan for the Pan Africa-Asia Results-Based M&E Forum and will do so again this year in September. And thinking about last year's Forum brought back memories of the Eastin Hotel Makkasan.

The hotel is really fine. A good little gym, nice pool, nice outside roof area overlooking the city and the rooms are comfortable with good beds. It's a good location, quite clean - though room service trays keep on hanging around in the hallways without being picked up - and nice staff, though they get overworked with bigger conferences.

What was really the downside of this place last year is its restaurant. Maybe we were unlucky, but at least 2 people got severely sick - vomiting all night - after eating here. I myself had a bad stomach, but fortunately not more than that.
The food displays look fine; clean and it is tasty as well. But in some way some bacteria got the best of it. Hopefully we'll all stay healthy this time during the Conference in September...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Dennis_Bours,
Greetings from Eastin Hotel Makkasan Bangkok.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay on Trip Advisor. We appreciated all feedback as it allows us to maintain our high standards and rectify any problems to ensure the satisfaction of our guests.
I would like to reply to your comment regarding the illness you and your colleagues suffered. It is regrettable that you chose to make this information public via TripAdvisor nearly a year after the alleged incident took place. This makes it impossible to ascertain the source of the problem and whether it was a result of dining in the hotel or not.
At Eastin Makkasan we operate under the strictest food hygiene controls and undertake regular Department of Health inspections to ensure that we meet all hotel regulations. We take allegations such as yours extremely seriously and, had the problem been reported at the time, I can assure you that the matter would have been fully investigated. This would have included taking samples of the food for laboratory analysis and having the guest examined by a doctor to check the type of illness suffered and whether it could be a result of eating the type of food taken at the hotel.
The well-being of our guests is of the utmost importance and I feel sure you understand my need to defend the reputation of the hotel as normal protocols regarding this type of allegation were not followed. Had they been you have my personal guarantee that, had the hotel been found to be at fault, we would have accepted full responsibility and come to an arrangement to ensure both you and your colleagues satisfaction.
May I end by saying that we look forward to welcoming you back at the next forum and we hope that your experience this year gives you a better impression of our hotel.
Best regards,
Chutima Kaewta Fortescue
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was such a fantastic experience, the food, staff and friendliness was like having a home away from home. Smart, comfortable and clean. Loved the view and free wi-fi to keep in contact with all back home in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, south Africa.
Fantastic and more :-)

Solize and Lizette Mc Donald

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Nice enough hotel, reliable fast wifi. Staff is friendly and efficient.

Beware of the tuktuk and taxi drivers, they often want to take u to have a suit made or buy knock off watches before taking u to your actual destination.

• Stayed June 2013
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I am from Bangalore, India. I stayed with my family during June 2013. Excellent hotel. excellent hospitality. Nice food. Nice pool. Staff members are very caring and helpful in nature. I would highly recommend this Hotel for any family visiting Bangkok. Location is also quite ideal

Room Tip: Rooms facing the metro-rail track gives you nice Birds-eye view of the town, the traffic.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family