“It's nice only because it's new...” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Berkeley Hotel Pratunam
Ranked #230 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Auckland
“It's nice only because it's new...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

The rooms are very clean and new, and the pool is spacious and nice. Location is premium.

However, the hotel is very big and has 2 towers. If you stay in the north tower, then you will have to walk a lot and take 2 elevators to get to your room. It just seemed that you are a "number" in this hotel, you need vouchers (that receiption will provide upon check-in) to exchange for breakfast at the restaurant - which you DON'T want to loose - Staff are running around doing their best, but don't expect that extra touch of service. They will call a taxi for you, but you will deal with the driver, etc...

It's a nice place, if you want something NEW and clean in the middle of town for a couple of nights, then it's a good call.

Room Tip: Go for the main tower!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank lex84Auckland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Been a bit skeptical during booking. Glad that I did, this hotel turned out to be revelation!
First, tower issue made easy: Luxury range of rooms belong to Main Tower; Premier range belongs to North Tower. Present promo price difference between corresponding premier and luxury is in the tune of single digit bucks!
Location is great for family shopping vacations - right in the city centre - in close proximity of shopping and entertainment. Palladium is next door (adjoining from the hotel lobby), Platinum diagonally across, Central World within 250m, Siam Paragon; Siam Centre; Siam Discovery and MBK in succession after Central World. 6-11 pm flea market on the walkway adjacent to this property. As far as clean entertainment is concerned, Central World has an Ice Rink, Siam Paragon houses top-class movie theaters (3d, 4d and i-Max) and an underground aquarium, Siam discovery has Madame Tussaud's Bangkok. A negative about location is distance from public transports - over 1km to the nearest BTS (Chit Lom), closest metro is even further, about half a km to Ratchaparok Airport Link.
Well maintained spacious rooms, Luxury corner rooms have big window for nice city view. We stayed at floor 30 with a mindblowing city view! Adequately furnished, universal power outlets in work-table, bath-tub, shower enclosure with rain shower, air-conditioner temperature adjustable, pillow-bed-linen clean and comfy. Had a few lesser issues though -shower mixer was difficult to adjust; either too cold or too hot, the rain shower force was not good enough to my liking and the shower enclosure floor was not properly sloped for easy drainage of used water. Might be an issue to my particular room - not sure! Room does not have any hotel directory, service manual, telephone directory, room service menu etc. which is quite unusual after months of inauguration! Can get some printouts if one asks the reception - which is pretty useful.
The common areas of the hotel are vast, nicely set, well decorated and properly maintained. Specially the swimming pool area and the dining area are grand. The lobby is not bad either though looks a bit crowded at times. This is understandable since this hotel accommodates over 700 guests.
The buffet spread is just adequate. The kitchen counter serving freshly made eggs, hams, bacons and waffle-mapple syrup has a nice touch. Bread choices are pretty good. Milk and cereals are included in the spread. Serves fresh fruit juices (choice of orange and pineapple only).
The service or rather the intention to serve is the highlight of this hotel. You ask for anything, it comes almost instant if you can overcome the communication barrier! During our five night stay we have asked for extra hangers, iron-press and stands, etc. Check-in, chek-out quick and with smile, bell boy, concierge desk courteous. 11th floor (pool, hall and tower transfer floor) has an effective tour operator and a pool bar.
This hotel seems to come some way since its inception, and it seems heading towards the right direction so far. If one can get over the debate of its star rating, one can enjoy it as a decent city hotel in a prime Bangkok location.
Eatery tips: Some street food stalls are there across the hotel on Petchaburi road for one to explore. In the Palladium mall basement # 2, there is a food court selling yummy food at reasonable price for occassional meals. From the hotel lobby just take the mall entrance and should not have any difficulty in finding it. Tell what, they sell tastier Chicken-rice (Khao Man Kai) than their more known counterpart across the road!

Room Tip: Luxury Corner Suite is the best they have to offer - opt for a high floor - get a mindblowing city v...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank hasska
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel was gorgeous. of course still new. For the price is an excellent hotel. Staff need to learn to speak better English as it was a little hard to communicate for them to understand me and for me to understand them. Breakfast was not included in my stay that was a little disappointing and the price of the breakfast to purchase for a hotel guest was pricey. not in a ideal location unless you enjoy the malls. Had to go far to enjoy the attractions to Bangkok.
overall a good place if you are looking for a luxurious hotel for a good price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vandeyck
Tel Aviv District, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Berkeley for 2 nights. Great disappointment! Our room was on the North building, meaning you have to switch elevators at the 11th floor. The elevators were very crowded in the morning, especially with people checking out, took us almost 10 minutes to get to the lobby. The room is very big, but only a bed in it, makes it seems empty. The shower was a bit old. The toilet seat was broken, the a/c was leaking. The hallway had a very bad smell. Breakfast is very rich but not so fresh. Luggage service was very helpful. A bit far from the BTS- 20 min walk, MRT- almost an hour. Airport link is closer- Rachatapori station is 10 min away. The streets out side the hotel are all food markets and rats.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Moshe_and_Mor

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Firstly, this is not a 5 star hotel but the price paid was very good. The pool is lovely and clean and the staff attending this area were good too. I had a corner room in the north tower which was massive but sparsely furnished for the amount of space. The room was clean, as expected in a relatively new hotel.

I found this area quite boring compared to other locations I have stayed while in Bangkok but it is excellent if you want to shop as it is near Pratunam Market, opposite Platinum Fashion Mall, extremely close to Centralworld and in the same complex as Palladium. The hotel is at an extremely congested intersection so crossing the street really needs to be done by using the overbridges. It is far from the skytrain so if you want to go away from the hotel you'll want to take a taxi... And this is what annoyed me the most about this place: the hotel allows touts to operate right outside its front door and if you ask the doorman to get you a taxi they will utilise these guys to get you it. It was near impossible to get a metered taxi without walking across to one of the malls because of this. To my mind, that is unacceptable as every other 4 or 5 star hotel I have stayed in at Bangkok will assist you with this task. To illustrate the point: MBK by metered taxi was 59 baht both times I went. The taxi the doormen could obtain for me wanted 200 baht. Chatuchak market was 89 baht, the taxi the doormen arranged wanted 300. Complaints to the hotel about this result in you being ignored and no taxi.

More on taxis: Suvarnabhumi airport to hotel was 405 baht including tolls but the ride took nearly two hours due to a severe traffic jam getting off the highway. It was extremely congested and I believe there is nothing the driver could have done to get us out of the mess we were caught in so no problem with that. Metered taxi leaving via Don Mueang airport was 157 baht + 60 baht for tolls. I actually was able to get a metered taxi from the door on that occasion and they complied, I'm assuming because it was my third attempt and we had so much luggage it would have been very, very poor form to make us try and cross the street to catch one.

We were asked for a deposit of 5000 baht for each room upon check in, although the manager overheard this and said 5000 for both would be acceptable. This did not faze me as I expect there to be some kind of security deposit, although I note it is much more than other reviewers were asked to pay. We had prepaid for our rooms via Agoda so it was possibly a little steep.

The refrigerator in both our rooms did not keep drinks cool. I phoned reception to let them know this and arrived back to the room later in the day to a note taped to my shower door advising me how to get hot and cold water! I thought this was kinda funny but it was symptomatic of the level of English the staff could speak. Again, this was not so much a problem for me but normally in BKK there are staff that speak good English in a 4 or 5 star property. Neither of our rooms had slippers in them.

Overall, and even taking into account the very cheap price point, I was disappointed with this hotel.

Room Tip: North tower rooms are far away but I suspect this is the tower where all the best-value rooms are. S...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank dodgysnak
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

The hotel is not amazing but is very good for the price paid. They are still under renovation, but the facilities are pretty nice and the pool is always clean and well taken care of. The breakfast buffet is not amazing but it has many different options to choose from and some of the things are pretty good.

The room was very clean and spacious and the bathroom was huge. The service was very attentive at all time and they did everything we could expect them to do right for us to have a pleasant stay.

The area is fantastic if you want to visit street markets, malls and "The Real Bangkok" and the train to the airport and the long-tail boats are 5 minutes walking distance.

I found annoying the music they have in the walk ways and took me a while to get use to it and being able to sleep.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main tower so you don't have to be changing buildings and elevators every time...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank creandoestilo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Hotel is good looking and is in a good location, but the cost cutting can ruin their business.

We check in the hotel Oct 20 , we were about 29 in the group and 2 person share a room. , we were given 1 room key per room. I requested for another key ,since me and my room mate might have different time going back to hotel.
The front office agent said she doesn't have the authorization to do that and have to call on the manager, I waited and no manager approach me, our tour guide then spotted a man with coat and tie, and call him, He did not introduce himself but we assumed that he is the manager. He said for the "extra' key, I have to deposit 500 thai baht, because it is the hotel policy, (anybody heard of that policy?) I was stunned because I never heard of such ridiculous policy. What will I do with the Tahi baht after I check out?

The manager was not taking care of us, hotel guests. He was more concerned with the HOTEL POLICY! Imagine how inconvenient for us to wait for each other in the room because we have only 1 key. It took us about 30 min discussion about the key, but in the end I let it go because I don't want to the manager to ruin my vacation.

The room was not well cleaned, it has hairs in the drawers and a hair clip at the coffee table which does not belong to me and my room mate. The slippers were recycled.

The room attendant was great, she had good manners and replenish the amenities in the room.

I was so disappointment with my first encounter that I decided not to stay in the hotel the next time I go to Bangkok.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends