“Very good sim sum place”
Review of Hong Bao

Hong Bao
Ranked #1,156 of 11,765 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I went there for lunch with friends. It was a good little place. Very beautifully decorated and good service. The food was well above average. The portions are small. Though I didn't pay, I believe the prices were reasonable, but not cheap. The lava salapao was exceptional. The steamed fish was very nice but very small. Reservations are an absolute must. There's parking but the double, triple park type. Overall, worth visiting and going back to.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Great place for dim sum. Tried a few varieties of dim sim and liked all of them. A bit expensive but satisfying meal.

1  Thank Thomas_loves_travel
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have been visiting and living in Bangkok the last 15 years. My favorite food joke in Bangkok whenever my friends asks me for a Chinese place to eat is "Cathay Pacific" or "Airport" - take a plane to Hong Kong. No more. After trying out Hong Bao for first time, I come for the only Hong Kong-quality dim sum quality place in Bangkok - their crispy pork and any dim sum with shrimp and scallops are just heavenly. I would stay away from everything else not dim sum - vegetables, fish, noodles - all very mushy or oily stuff like other Chinese restaurants in Bangkok. Nice and wide selection of quality value wines which complements the food.

6  Thank johnslin
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This place has good food. The chef from what I'm told used to cook for Kim Jong Il, but don't quote me on that. Overall a pleasurable dining experience.
Ordered many dishes including the peking duck. It was all delicious and well prepared. Wait staff was first class and attentive.
If you have a chance it a good trip to make to experience banquet style Chinese cuisine. Cons - It can get a little pricey.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Hong Bao in Thanya Shopping Park on Srinakarin Road took me by surprise. This is not because of the food quality, which was mostly outstanding, but its location in a mall that seemed dead to me. I mean, there was nearly no patrons at all. Few shops were open. I don't know how they could survive.
But let's focus on the restaurant. My wife and I weren't all that hungry, so we settled on a very delicious fried sticky rice dim sum dish, a tasty fried salt-chili bean curd plate, a so-so steamed beef stomach thing, and an equally so-so duck pancake. However, I would say the ones that hit the mark more than made up for the dishes that did not. For the quality of food that we got in an area like Srinakarin that is not known for great dining options, I thought Hong Bao offered excellent value for money.
The service was just superb. Staff were attentive, extremely polite and exuded warmth. Maybe it was because there were only two tables occupied. I hope their service standard is maintained even on busy nights.
Hong Bao is a good choice if you don't want to head downtown in search of superior Chinese food. Out of the way, yes, but should not be out of mind.

Been to Hong Bao? Share your experiences!