“Best Dim Sum in Bangkok”
Review of Hong Bao

Hong Bao
Ranked #1,189 of 11,383 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I have been visiting and living in Bangkok the last 15 years. My favorite food joke in Bangkok whenever my friends asks me for a Chinese place to eat is "Cathay Pacific" or "Airport" - take a plane to Hong Kong. No more. After trying out Hong Bao for first time, I come for the only Hong Kong-quality dim sum quality place in Bangkok - their crispy pork and any dim sum with shrimp and scallops are just heavenly. I would stay away from everything else not dim sum - vegetables, fish, noodles - all very mushy or oily stuff like other Chinese restaurants in Bangkok. Nice and wide selection of quality value wines which complements the food.

6  Thank johnslin

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

This place has good food. The chef from what I'm told used to cook for Kim Jong Il, but don't quote me on that. Overall a pleasurable dining experience.
Ordered many dishes including the peking duck. It was all delicious and well prepared. Wait staff was first class and attentive.
If you have a chance it a good trip to make to experience banquet style Chinese cuisine. Cons - It can get a little pricey.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Hong Bao in Thanya Shopping Park on Srinakarin Road took me by surprise. This is not because of the food quality, which was mostly outstanding, but its location in a mall that seemed dead to me. I mean, there was nearly no patrons at all. Few shops were open. I don't know how they could survive.
But let's focus on the restaurant. My wife and I weren't all that hungry, so we settled on a very delicious fried sticky rice dim sum dish, a tasty fried salt-chili bean curd plate, a so-so steamed beef stomach thing, and an equally so-so duck pancake. However, I would say the ones that hit the mark more than made up for the dishes that did not. For the quality of food that we got in an area like Srinakarin that is not known for great dining options, I thought Hong Bao offered excellent value for money.
The service was just superb. Staff were attentive, extremely polite and exuded warmth. Maybe it was because there were only two tables occupied. I hope their service standard is maintained even on busy nights.
Hong Bao is a good choice if you don't want to head downtown in search of superior Chinese food. Out of the way, yes, but should not be out of mind.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I came across this restaurant from Top Table 2013 from BK magazine. It is located in Thanya Mall which is very quiet but the restaurant is quite busy at weekends. It is best to make reservation. They have private rooms if you have a large group. The dim sum is what I came for and I was not disappointed. Golden custard bun ... a must try dim sum here . The salted eggs custard lava flows once you break the bun into half. Steamed rice roll with shrimp is actually quite similar to "Zha Leong" in Hong Kong. Shrimp is wrap in crispy You Tiao and roll inside sheet of rice noodle sheet. It's soft on the outside and crispy on the inside. Service is attentive and all dim sum served steamy hot. A must try if you are around this part of town

1  Thank BKCHAN_2011
Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you are in Srinakarin, you are blessed that you no longer need to go to CBD, if not HK or Ma cao, to get good dim sum. This place imported chef from Macao. Thanks to the owner of Water library.

Their fried shrimp rice roll and ciao long bao are the best in town. Their ha gao's filling got good raw material although the skin could have been more delicate. Their sea conch soup is refreshing. You got to go at least once.