“Hidden corner of BKK to meet up with new friends.”
Review of Maggie Choo's

Maggie Choo's
Ranked #293 of 11,054 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Silom
Description: Magical underground cabaret full of mystery, romance, jazz, reminiscent of Shanghai 1930. Maggie Choo's was named after Shanghai cabaret owner who fled her hometown in 1931 following the Japanese invasion that tore the city. Shortly after arriving in Bangkok, she found a 19th century Thai Chinese shoe box restaurant crammed into a basement 10 meters below Silom road serving authentic Thai chinese shophouse food. When one day, she discovered behind the walls in the corner of the restaurant an entrance that lead to a derelict 19th century East India company bank built in 1847 used for storing porcelain and spices that the British used to carry back to England for Queen Victoria, her past caught up with her and she converted the old bank into a cabaret, just like when she used to back in Shanghai. Today the cabaret is yet to be revived again...
“Hidden corner of BKK to meet up with new friends.”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The place is hidden under the basement of Novetel Silom. The food there is pricey and small portion, so bettter stuff your stomach before going there.
The atmosphere is very antique with live jazz performance, the drink is well prepared.
People there are quite friendly and open to make friends..

Just a good hideaway place to have a couple of drink ..

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank ninlet

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Don't as the Tall Blond to do her job.”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I visited MC for a pre wedding get together.

We ordered a couple of bottles of wine while we waited for the rest. As more friends came to party, I tried for a good 5mins to trying to get a few wine glasses. I finally got a the attention of the Tall Blond that is actually the hostess with out the mostess and gestured to her that I needed 2 wine glasses, thinking she understood she nodded her head to me and walked towards the bar, thinking she was going to grab them her self. Probably over 5 to 8 mins later as I'm talking away I realized the glasses never came.... Ok, no big deal. This time I got up asked a real waitress for a couple of glasses and proceeded to ask the Tall Blond what was up with the glasses I asked for. She then looked at me like why am I asking her this question. I said u looked right at me an acknowledged my my need for more win glasses. Ok maybe she didn't understand what pointing at my wine glass and holding up 2 fingers meant. I explained how she looked right at me and i figure she was going to get them for me. She told me "not to go there" what ever that meant. Basically she was telling me she was not a waitress. I could not believe she said that and I walked away pissed!
Ok so your not a "waitress" but you are a hostess for the bar and its her job to greet costumers as well as I would think to assist customers with other things. If she didn't want to go get the glasses her self, way didn't she grab one of the waitresses and ask them to help us. The service in general is not very good and this is not the first time I've been there. If your unlucky the bar might smell of sewage, they fill those stupid tins with loads of coins so you hopefully leave behind, the music is mediocre and for all that and being in Thailand the drinks are over priced. So what a poor excuse for a hostess and the bar needs some refining.

• Visited December 2013
8 Thank POPO420
Bangkok, Thailand
“the place took me so far...”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

i went there with friends after work on Wednesday.
my first time is in September 2013,
and i go there several time after that.
The place is hidden in the old hotel Silom Road.

Even i work at the Maggie Choo next door...
but i never realise that there is an amazing place located there...
my first time was a big surprise...
atmosphere, smell, people, and also there service totally took me so far....

• Visited September 2013
Canberra, Australia
“The heavy ornate wooden doors...”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Maggie Choo's is located at the Novotel Fenix Silom Hotel, Bangkok. We honestly thought it was just a hotel restaurant, but my goodness, it was so much more. After a massive 13 hour tour up to the River Kwai, we decided to eat nearby given how tired we were; and downstairs at Maggie Choo's didn't get much closer really.

From the outside, the entrance to Maggie Choo's could be easily missed. It is situated outside the aforementioned hotel to the right. The only give away that it exists during the day is the heavy ornate wooden doors, and the pamphlets at the hotel foyer. My understanding is that it is only open for dinner/evening drinks, and we felt quite exclusive, walking past the three sharp-looking security guards and over the threshold.

The first thing that captured my eye was the dark wooden staircase that guided us down into the restaurant. Flash back to old school Saigon: dark wood and furnishings, the roof made from tens of parasols; the walls adorned in all manner of artwork and sculptures. It was utterly exquisite.

We were led to our table, which there were only a handful of, from memory. Again, reinforcing the exclusivity previously mentioned. The tables were small and low to the ground, and the corresponding stools all made from darkened materials. Everywhere to look there was something to appreciate, and the ambience was heightened by soft, simple oriental music and dim lighting.

The menu complimented the décor. Each title had only a handful of choices (approx. 6-8) which for an indecisive person such as myself, was a real pleasure. Too often have I been overwhelmed by the 30 plus page menus in Thailand, and please don't misunderstand me, the food we have eaten has been delicious, but it really was a breath of fresh air to enjoy a simple menu for a change. And order we did!

We enjoyed a shared entrée of crispy wontons (arguably some of the best we've had anywhere), and shared two mains of roasted duck and pork two-ways with a side of steamed rice. All three meals were beautifully balanced and packed with flavour. The sauces and condiments were so complimentary to the dishes, and we found ourselves mopping up the juices/sauces/etc with our steamed rice. It was such a memorable meal.

We sipped on rose water which initially was quite unusual on the pallet, but it grew on us.

Yes the bill was twice as much as had we eaten elsewhere, but honestly, I didn't care given the atmosphere, ambience, décor and quality of the meals; and beyond that, even though it would have been considered expensive in Bangkok terms, it was still cheaper than eating out at home.

Oh, and if you're not completely wrecked after a 13 hour tour, check out the adjacent underground club, just head through the heavy ornate wooden doors...

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Jean B
Bangkok
“Quirky, ok for a quick drink or two”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Once your eyes adjust to the semi-darkness (a common factor in this co's bars) the place does have a certain 'wow' factor. The ambience is good and it is a relaxing place for a drink or two but does tend to get a little claustraphobic after a while.
The seating was extremely comfrotable and encourages you to stay but the prices are a little toppy and this encourages you to move on.
All in all a good place to take visitors and guests or to pop in for a quick one if you are staying nearby.

• Visited January 2014