“Fantastic jazz spot” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BLACK - The Jazz Spot - CLOSED

BLACK - The Jazz Spot
More attraction details
Owner description: (Dear guests: we are CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Effective September. Hope to be open again before or after the new year, IN A NEW LOCATION). BLACK is a intimate, cozy Jazz room modeled after places in New York and Europe. Nice sofa, chair, or bar stool seating, unpretentious, with a great sound system, BLACK will seat about 70 comfortably with opportunities to be right up close to the musicians or away in the back.BLACK is run by Harlem native Idris Dawud, who hails from a jazz family of historic note. His father Al Barrymore (aka Talib Dawud) started the original Messengers Band along with Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk, and others. Talib was also lead trumpet in many big bands (Dizzy Gillespie, Louis Armstrong, to name a few). Stepmom and jazz legend singer Dakota Staton recorded Jazz and Blues for Capitol Records (and later Verve, Columbia).Idris both sings and plays trumpet, and mixes a substantial original repertoire along with familiar and obscure jazz gems. Finally he is opening a club that will allow him to continue his quest to impart authenticity, edge, and intensity to Jazz in this region.
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Fantastic jazz spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had an incredible evening at Black- the music was wonderful, the atmosphere was lively, and the people were warm and friendly. It's not a dinner venue with jazz in the background, it's a real performance space! I can't recommend it enough.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Stephen D
Idrees D, Owner at BLACK - The Jazz Spot, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thanks much for the feedback. It was much fun performing for you and when you return one day we'll have something new for you, for sure.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“I think quite sterile - very limited music window”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had been keen to visit this new venue as I had not been in Bangkok for many months, The other reviews make it sound like a happening place. My experience was quite the opposite and has left me quite disappointed, Whilst the ohsomuchjazz website said the place opens 6.30 nightly - I was a going to be a little late arriving at 8pm.

Several problems...Having walked only from the BTS station I had spent nearly 45 minutes following the TA phone map and near me functions which had me variously walking up and down the rather seedy Soi 33 (getting propositioned by the numerous girls soliciting dodgy massages and their somewhat doubtful hostess bars)

The "point me" arrow led me to the Velvet massage parlour and the "get directions" led me 500m down the other end of Soi 33 to the Beverly suites. OK - that needs to be fixed by giving accurate instructions to TA on your correct LATLONG, However on finally ringing the Black Jazz number the girl answering could also not help me with directions to get there as I was not familiar with the local restaurant she kept referring to. Eventually finding it (not by listening to the music in the street) by walking up and down the street many times.

The entrance was strange up a flight of stairs into what looked like an office room - on entering there was not a single customer and I was told about the cover charge ... hmm Decor was dark and the arrangement of furniture with half of the chair booths was clunky with their back to the office like window with a collection of unused instruments. Not comfortable, at all. the overhead TV monitor was playing CDs of awful piano music - not in tune with the supposed dark subdued fittings. Raucus actually as there were no customers.

The website failed to say that music doesn't start until 9.30 and you have to pay a cover of 200 Baht if you arrive early. Early ?? 120 minutes after opening there was no music and nothing on the website to indicate the programs like the other Jazz music venues I visited on my last trip.

Being an office like room - there was no on premises cooking (so easier to get dinner before at the many local restaurants nearby) - but I am sure the small bar would be adequate if it got busy (which it wasn't at all when I was there this week)

The band finally came at 9.30pm but at this stage I was not able / in the mood to stay - to be constructive please make sure your website describes what time music starts more clearly. also the instructions on proximity to the Novatel are only available after you arrive (which it is not on the website (maybe a small map)

I think the reviews are somewhat hyped.(which is understandable when brand new venues are trying to establish themselves) ..but when comparing to the other many good jazz bars and nightclubs that have lots of character and a much more comprehensive range of excellent and well published music programs this is really deficient. It would be the most sterile of any music venues I have visited. The music the least diverse and for its tiny hard to find venue - some better directions would help a lot.

If I had not had so much difficulty finding it - then most likely I would have arrived and left earlier as I was their only customer and saved spending 200 cover to sit by myself. Nothwithstanding I will return on my next trip to see.

3 Thank Don E
Idrees D, Owner at BLACK - The Jazz Spot, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Sir,

Sorry for your unfortunate experience. I'm not sure what night you were there but we have had no nights with just one customer there unless it was Mon-Tue when there are no bands.

Apologies for the stairs; we do have a very nice elevator and since we are on the second floor we offer that choice for everyone's convenience.

Perhaps the hostess didn't convey the message correctly; there is no cover charge if you arrive before 8:30PM. The bands start at 9PM, not 9:30. And there is a solo pianist that starts at 7PM every evening except Sundays (whereas the band starts 7PM on that day). On the 5 days there is a band, all unused instruments do get used and more of course.

Again sorry for the experience. Google maps can be a bit adventurous some times and we've been trying to get the girls on the street not to solicit our customers, but alas we are in Bangkok and furthermore on Soi 33. Jazz - by the way - started in the Storyville section of New Orleans... we just market this as a bit of authenticity.

Lastly our reviews are from good folks we've only met, upon their return to their homelands. I hope that it is not hype at all. The variety and diversity offered in the other many good jazz bars and nightclubs is to be applauded. We on the other hand are establishing ourselves on a difference - our single minded focus on straight-ahead, New York-style jazz as our inspiration and my family friend Art Blakey would have wished.

All the best.

Kind Regards,

Idrees
Melbourne Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“All That Jazz”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Black Jazz Club is on Soi 33 just off Sukhumvit Rd. We sought out this club after reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor. We were there at 9.15pm on a Wednesday night and there were only a handful of people in the audience. The music was played by a visiting New York Quartet at 45 minute segments and requests were encouraged. This club offers a sanctuary for jazz enthusiasts with a 200 Baht cover charge but well worth the investment. I imagine this place really gets going later in the week and weekends, drinks are club prices and served by hostesses who are not your typical "Thai Bar Girls". I would definitely visit here again when in Bangkok, a clean smoke free environment and a great place to spend an evening listening to some great jazz.

Visited July 2013
Idrees D, Owner at BLACK - The Jazz Spot, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Hello and thanks for the feedback from Australia!. Two of my guys were local (howbeit the drummer is from Paris by way of Cameroon!) I am the only one from The Big Apple (New York). These guys joining me that night (Wed) are among the top jazz guys in this city and beyond. And then it's a different lineup every other night with other top Thai jazz artists. Only the best!
We look forward to your next visit!
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Fantastic little jazz bar!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had a great start to our night at this great jazz bar! We arrived right before the music started (9pm on a thurs night), and enjoyed some good wine and fantastic ambience. That night they had a little quartet of trumpet, guitar, bass and drums, and the music was beautiful. The trumpet player and host (Patrice I believe?), came and chatted between sets, and everyone was smiling and welcoming. Definitely the place to go if you want to hear great jazz in a comfortable atmosphere!

2 Thank Ken P
Patrice... rhymes with Idrees!
Happy to be of service on your visit. The jazz guitarist was a guest for the first time, but now we're going to book him every Thursday as he is fantastic. His name is Junior (well, his nickname at least). And he come right of the Wes Montgomery mode, sporting a red Gibson guitar. Quite serious.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“great bar and great jazz.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

we where staying at the lotus hotel went out for dinner ,walking back and heard some beautiful music and followed the sound and went upstairs. And where welcomed by great warm smiling faces.
sat down we had some drinks and sat back and listened to some great music, and just enjoyed the whole experience. the singer was so good we bought his cd,as I write this I am listening to it.
a hidden secret .if you like jazz you will love this.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank 62david
Idrees D, Owner at BLACK - The Jazz Spot, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thanks David. Hopefully this won't be a secret too much longer. We may not be any good at marketing, so hey, we throw the music out into the street into the court of public opinion (at least for those who pass by) and let the ears decide. We have found some of our best guests this way! For everyone else, there's TripAdvisor!

One thing for sure; when you come in we're going to take our chance to give you Jazz like no other in this city. That part - we can get right most every night. If you're in Bangkok, we'll save you a trip to New York.