“Far from what is advertised”

Whisgars - Whisky and Cigar Bar
Ranked #15 of 141 Nightlife in Bangkok
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: WHISGARS is coming to Asia. A Specialised entertainment venue providing patrons with high end, single cask, single malt whiskies and premium hand rolled cigars. All venues are smoke friendly and provide the very best in customer service and experiences.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Far from what is advertised”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Being a real cigar lover, I always seek out the perfect place to smoke during my travels due to it being so difficult to smoke in my home town of Singapore. I came across this place via Google so thought to visit. First impression? You have to walk through an Italian restaurant to even get to the bar which was rather annoying. The inside is nice, not over the top, but nice to sit and relax. Their claimed "120 whiskies" is far from the truth and I could barely count 60 on the shelves with most being normal well known brands and nothing too special. Their cigar collection is also poor with some little known brands on the shelves. I guess the worst thing was the staff attitude. They were rude, not knowledgable about the products and hard to gain attention from when wanting another drink (so, I only had one) I only wish I had have read some of the other reviews on here first and not wasted my time. There are much better places to smoke cigars and drink whiskey in Bangkok like the Orient, the Intercon and plenty more. I won't be back.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank RodgerPatt
Bo_Galberki, Manager at Whisgars - Whisky and Cigar Bar, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear RodgerPatt,

Thank you for sharing your review and we are very sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience when visiting Whisgars. We pride ourselves in being knowledgeable about our products as well as the vast selection of our whiskies and cigars we have on offer and we obviously did not do a good job in communicating our brand message to you. Please rest assured we are looking into this incident and ensure it won't happen again. Under no circumstances would we ever tolerate rude behavior amongst our staff and would appreciate if you could let us know more details. We apologize for this incident and hope to welcome you back for a better experience the next time you visit Bangkok.

By the way, we would like to let you know that despite our cigar brands not being very well recognized (yet) in the Asian region, all of our cigars have a rating between 84-94 by Cigar Aficionado and we do carry 8 of the World's 25 top rated cigars of 2013 [ Official Cigar Aficionado Ratings].

We would love to welcome you back to Whisgars anytime and have you enjoy one of our great cigars on us.

Kind Regards,
Bo Galberki

Bangkok, Thailand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Great place to relax with great jazz on Saturdays”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Was there last night for the first time and found the place cozy. As it was a Saturday there was a great jazz band there. I could see Whisgars has a great selection of whiskey and cigars but because I'm a brandy guy I went for the Hennessy instead, nevertheless we had a great night there there.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank PiiJoe
Bangkok, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Such a poor experience I had to write a review about it.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I recently moved to Bangkok to assume a professorship and was eager to find a good "go-to place" for my scotch and cigars. I am a serious cigar smoker, and had about 1500 in my locker back home before I had to move. I am equally serious about my scotch.

Advertised as "Asia's Premier Whisky and Cigar Bar" I thought this place would deliver. Seems like it received relatively good reviews. But upon arrival, I was sorely disappointed. The small humidor consisted of mainly Pinar Del Rio (PDR) and Perdomo cigars, all of which I've smoked before, I'm not a fan of, and I knew I wouldn't be spending 600 bht on ($20 USD). I asked if I could smoke my own which she said yes, so I sat down and ordered a Glenlivet 18 and proceeded to pull one out a Ramon Allones Specially Select from own travel humidor. The Bartender then came over to tell me there was a 300 BHT cutting fee ($10), and asked if I wanted to buy a cigar instead. I told her I wouldn't EVER touch one of those cigars as they are not of the refinement that I was looking for. I stood up, paid for the Glenlivet without even touching it, and walked out.

The furniture was handsome, and the scotch collection was modest. I'd say 25 bottles of the standards: Glenlivet, Glenfidditch, Macallen, Balvenie.

I don't mind cutting fees, but when 1. You don't put a notice on the menu or in the humidor, and proceed to tell me after I have ordered my drink, that is not okay, and 2. For being "Asia's premiere cigar and whisky bar, they sure fall short of the Oriental, or dozens of other cigar lounges I've been to.

Visited November 2013
6 Thank Coopsdeloops
Bo_Galberki, Manager at Whisgars - Whisky and Cigar Bar, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Coopsdeloops

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Whisgars.
We were very sorry to hear that you have not been served
according to our standards and that subsequently you had
a bad first experience at Whisgars. Please rest assured that
we take your comments very seriously and that we have since
reviewed this incident with our team in order to make sure
this will not happen again in future. We apologize and hope
that you will join us again and experience the “true” Whisgars
experience that has already served well to so many of our
regular patrons.

We would love to welcome you back to Whisgars anytime
and have you enjoy one of our single malt flights on us.

Kind Regards,
Bo Galberki
Hong Kong, China
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Decent place for a good smoke and whiskey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Whisgars is a separate section of Giusto's Italian restaurant. Nice ambiance, professional staff. Live band and a great selection of cigars and whiskeys to fit everyone. The aircon is good so its not to smoky in there... You can also have a beer or a wine if you're not into whiskeys. They also serve you food from the italian restaurant should you wish to eat there. I went on a friday night and the place was quite full. The live band was good. Its definitely not a cheap place but worth trying!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Alex H
Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“excellent choice of whiskeys...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Nice atmosphere and attentive staff with a good knowledge of both cigars and drink. Slightly old world feel with leather and wood, very cozy. 2 details, first there are no cuban cigars available which means no Montecristo no. 4....the selection of I believe all Central American cigars however was no bad. The other detail is the price for a single cigar in the lower price range and 1 Glenfiddich single malt scotch came to about $20 US certainly not a bargin
but as they seem to be in a unique nich......

Visited October 2013