“Friendly pub with great pub food and good value drinks”

The Royal Oak Restaurant
Ranked #1,277 of 11,626 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: European, British, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: The Royal Oak is based on the site of of one of Bangkok's oldest pubs and has been offering great service, drink and food for over 20 years. The Royal Oak is the latest incarnation on this site. With a classic British pub feel the Royal Oak is proud to call itself Bangkok's local pub catering for the Expat and Local community alike.With constant upgrades to our menu and a real emphasis on value the 2013 version of this venerable place is definitely worth a visit for a meal at any time of day.We also provide Live sport and entertainment weekly...
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I have been to this pub a few times recently and am surprised at some negative comments about the food . They show a lot more initiative from my experience over 40 years coming to Bangkok than most pubs. The hot stone meals both meat and tuna are excellent and good value and I have always found the roast dinners to serve good quality and good helpings of meat....the beers are great value at happy hour and the wine which is so expensive all over Bangkok is reasonably priced. I like the lay out but I do suffer at times in the heat as being open air at the entrance you need to find a spot with air con and a fan which is not always possible when it is full as it is most evenings .

The sports coverage is excellent and if you get to know the staff they are very helpful getting the match on you wish to see. As a West Brom supporter this can be very difficult in a lot of sports bars !!

All in all not perfect but it wouldn't be a British pub if it was and they do a much better job to serve good food and ale than most I have frequented in my long association with Thailand.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I usually go to Dubliner nearby for breakfast but yesterday decided to go a little bit further and give this royal oak place a shot.
The menu looks quite good with a nice selection of tasty looking meals. However i was after a full english breakfast.
When i arrived there was a table of around 12 thais eating thai food. Most of them were eating already so i thought this shouldnt affect my order too much. Anyway i ordered this english breakfast and got distracted looking at facebook on my phone for about 30 minutes. I was quite content and not really noticing how long the food was taking until this point. I asked the staff and mentioned perhaps i could go and come back as there were some other things i needed to do in the soi. She replied that it was coming. I would have preferred she actually check what was happening and inform me rather than just a hollow "its coming". Anyway the meal arrived 45 minutes later. The sausage was cold and pink inside. The butter portion was rock hard and clarified in the pack so it was already melted and rechilled at some stage.
I felt like asking for some kind of discount given that i just gave them an hour of my day. I thought i would see if they offered it instead. No discount or anything was offered. I asked how many chefs were in the kitchen. They said 3 but my meal took a long time because of the large table of thais. However they were already eating when i walked in.
Better off sticking with the dubliner if you want a breakfast for other items you could try your luck here as long as you have the afternoon free.

3  Thank nak_lang
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Have had a lunch time beer and a bite several times and have not changed my average view of the pub.
Last time there was a loud japanese tune from a neighbouring shop on permanent loop - started to drive me crazy. Food was average. I did try the hot stone tuna on a previous visit and it was quite good.
Nothing really special about the place.

1  Thank Keith-N14
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We often went there for their roasts and their happy hour lunches. You have to try their egg, gammon steak and chips! Forget your diet for this one! The staff are always very friendly and welcoming. I would recommend this pub!

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

This place was lively and fun for their Sunday night roast. Popular with the local expats, the Royal Oak does a nice, traditional Roast Beef for Sundays (they have roast pork too). Beef was grandmother cooked...well done, a bit dry but still tasty, loved the potatoes (crispy outside, tender in), Yorkshire pudding was average, veggies were good (snow peas nice and crispy). I am coming back to try the rest of the pub food menu!

1  Thank Bmorecmore