“Too little, too high.”

The Continent Hotel Bangkok by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #112 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 3, 2013

First thing that strikes you is the cosiness of the check-in foyer. Cosy because everyone is squashed together - those checking in, those checking out, those waiting, and everyone's luggage. It is quite uncomfortable. If they removed the small bar that no-one ever uses the space could be put to better use I am sure.

Then you notice that there are only two lifts. This hotel has 37 floors. You do the math. Expect some long waits. I was at the point of giving up and taking the stairs down went I was going shopping - I felt lucky to be only on the 8th floor - when one finally arrived. If the lift is empty it is quick to come up from the lobby, but at peak times you are in for an extended wait - and hopefully the small lift (with loud music) will not be overfull already. Perhaps I am overstating this risk, as the building itself is on very small footing, with only six rooms on each level.

Yes the rooms are small because of the building size. It is quite a toothpick. As I am here for a week on business I am not heading out partying so I will be in the room working or relaxing most nights: it will not doubt seem a bit claustrophobic by the end of my extended stay. I would have preferred the TV facing the chair not the bed, or at least adjustable but it is fixed, set into the wall panelling. Other hotels these days allow you to plug in your HDMI cable and watch your own movies from your PC on the big screen. Can't do that here with the wall mounting: a small point, but one feature I have I come to expect.

Another space saving (i.e. dysfunctional and annoying) feature is to hide the (very) small wardrobe doors behind the sliding bathroom door when it is open. There were no bathrobes and slippers as mentioned in the room description in that wardrobe but there is an ironing-board instead.

The bathroom in my room was an adequate size, but mine was an Executive room, the second largest floorplan on the floor - perhaps it would be smaller in a standard room. BTW the Executive Room does not mean access to the Executive Club and other assorted privileges - that would be the Skyroom. Free drinks at happy hour, breakfast included, newspaper, laundry, etc...

For breakfast I was lucky to be on a low floor - as we went up floor by floor to the 35th, the soon crowded lift could inevitably accept no more passengers, as I predicted in the previous paragraph! And when we got to the restaurant we immediately crashed into the queue lined up waiting for a table. There were just not enough tables by about half. And the breakfast was not worth the wait. A limited choice of dishes (e.g. no bacon!) at the buffet and another queue for the only thing worth eating - the eggs, The clever egg-chef was working three hot-plates plates at once however so the delay was minimal. But the baked beans were stone-cold and the sausages steamed, not fried. Overall a very parsimonious and underwhelming buffet for the level of hotel.

And a final point of irritation - another first world problem I know, but BKK hotel competition is fierce! and as a left-hander I notice these things - the hipster / cool / designer coffee mugs are designed especially for right handers. I am not kidding. (The Excelsior in HK, a much better hotel, has the same problem.) The cute curvy bit on the back of the cup for a right-hander is in my front and the handle is set slightly forward. It is awkward and annoying to drink that way.

OK, one more final point! After my shopping (books and a pair of slippers to replace the missing ones) I came to the front door with both hands full of bags... The concierge/doorman had his head buried in some paperwork or other and I had to struggle to open the doors myself (this is Bangkok, unheard of!), nearly bumping into his station at the door. He didn't even look up.

Free WiFi (at limited baud rates though and it cuts out often on my floor) is a plus.

Haven't used the gym or pool yet, so I can't comment, but unless they are exceptional The Continent will be lucky to make it onto my short-list for my next business to Bangkok. For a brief personal holiday it might be more suitable due to its excellent location - I won't get the breakfast package.

Room Tip: I'd say choose the Skyroom if you are there on business - there seems to be a lot more provided...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Expatatlarge1

Reviewed March 1, 2013

My partner and i were hesitant about this hotel but we were so glad we picked it. It was like an oasis in the craziness of Bangkok. We had read reviews that the rooms were small and it was very new and had some teething problems but we decided to stick with our decision and so glad we did. From the minute we arrived we felt welcomed and everything was easy. The staff were incredibly friendly and the room (on the 21st floor) was just fantastic. The hotel is set back on a small block, so not easy to find for most taxi drivers (maybe consider an airpot pick up by the hotel) It is though very close to Asoke BTS, Sukhumvit MRT and Terminal 21 shopping centre. Everything is close to this hotel we thought, no effort to get anywhere really. Room decor was lovely, views great. Breakfast each morning was good, try and beat the rush at about 8am :) We had dinner the first night on level 35 (also the breakfast floor) and it couldnt have been better from service to view. The pool is smallish but also amazing. It wasn't used much when we were up there which is confusing as it is on the 37th floor overlooking Bangkok.I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone travelling to Bangkok and we look forward to staying there again on our next visit.

Room Tip: The BTS does go right past the hotel at the front, i would suggest a higher room. I would also sugge...
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed for 3 days, and can say that every detail was perfect.
I got a big clean room on 15th floor.
between room and shower was only glass :-)
hotel is 20 meters from famous Soi Cowboy.
last day of visit hotel arranged very luxury limo to Pattaya at reasonable price!
I will come back for sure.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at this hotel twice during February 2013 prior to its official opening.
Moved out for a short beach break during our Thailand stay.

The hotel is modern in design with only a handful of rooms per floor (estimate 5-7 per floor). Rooms are not big but very comfortable and well appointed.

Full height windows in all areas (incl accom) and in restaurants and pool (on levels 35 - 36) afford great views.

Location is great as its within 200 metres of Terminal 21 and the the nightlife in surrounding area (eg Cowboy Soi) and its so handy to Asoke BTS or Sukhumvit underground.

The only criticism I would have is the insane jingly musak, which played day and night ad-nauseum. It could also be heard from the lift lobbies in the rooms - which was quite annoying in the early hours.

Would certainly stay again on next visit.

Room Tip: Higher rooms = less road noise, but longer lift rides. There are only 2 lifts servicing all accom...
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was staying there 3 nights and we enjoyed it very much.

Romms are small ( continent rooms are never 38 sqm ) but enough for a boutique hotel

If you a frequent traveler and hate huge brand hotels you can come here and feel well.
Friendly staff and nice clean decorated rooms.

Few downsides to be fixed:

- Breakfast is not more then average, coffee is not drinkable and no space for so many people. The line was huge. Thank god we had the sky benefits and we eat at the roof top bar.
- They should write that the internet is free when you able to surf with low bandwith. If you need more speed you need to pay more then 10 or even 20 usd per night extra.
- you need to wait

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Decided to try out this brand-new hotel (I think it was opened in late 2012) after reading the positive reviews on tripadvisor; and we are glad that we chose it! Everything's new; though the rooms we got are not very big, but they are clean and the beds comfy. The greatest thing about this hotel is the location; just 3 mins' walk to Asoke BTS and Sukhumvit MRT! As most travelers who have been to Bangkok would have known, the traffic in the city can be quite terrible at times; taking the BTS/MRT may bring you to your destination faster than taxis. So if you plan to hang around the major shopping malls which are mostly accessible by BTS, this hotel is perfect.
The buffet breakfast is served on the 35th floor; great view of the city through the glass windows, but the spread is nothing special to shout about.
Just 2 comments: first, not all of staff at the front desk speak English. When we couldn't find the tea/coffee making facilities in our room, a guy whom we spoke to couldn't understand us. We were informed by his colleague who heard us that they were placed in a hidden cabinet beside the fridge; and second, there are no slippers provided in the room, so do bring your own!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2013

New Hotel – not all was finished and open
I was only there for one night but I will return
The hotel is located close to MRT and Train station.
A few bars are in the neighborhood as well.
I love the full floor to ceiling windows
The glass wall between bath and Bedroom – this make’s the room very friendly

Room Tip: try to get a room not facing to Sukhumvit road as you will hear the train all night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business