“Don't eat breakfast.”
Review of Chili Paste Tour

Chili Paste Tour
Ranked #37 of 235 Tours in Bangkok
More attraction details
Owner description: Taste the extraordinary Thai food and culture hidden beyond the surface of everyday Bangkok. Interact with local people. Visit little-known but fascinating places. Sample exquisite foods made by humble families. Our exclusively private tours encourage you to move at your own pace while experiencing Bangkok's food and culture in a far more intimate way than group tours allow. We have a strong commitment to social and environmental responsibility, and as avid travelers, we always strive for spontaneity and adventure.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

As I write this, Chin's Chili Pate Tour has received 34 reviews, and all 34 have been five-star. There's a good reason for that. It's amazing.

This was the best part of our stay in Bangkok. Local food and culture is exactly what we were looking for on our trip, and Chin delivered. The food was incredible, and the cultural pointers she'll give you are fantastic. She'll show you places you wouldn't have been able to find on your own.

For the choosy eaters: Chin will cater the tour to your taste and needs. Vegetarian? Can't handle spicy food? You'd never know it was an issue.

Oh, and like the title says, don't eat breakfast. The worst part of your tour will be you being painfully full, sitting in front of a half-eaten dish of amazing food, not knowing what to do.

There are newer reviews for Chili Paste Tour

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband and I took the Old Bangkok tour with Chin. We were lucky enough to have Chin all to ourselves that day. She was so great at answering our questions, was very open, friendly, and sweet! We really enjoyed all the food, and got to experience things we definitely would not have been able to find on our own. Anytime we asked what something was, she would ask if we wanted to try. There's definitely no shortage of food on this trip and it's well worth the money! And to top it off, when we mentioned that we wanted thai massage, she took us to a local place and even waited for us while we had an amazing hour long massage (for only $200 baht!). Chin's tour was really the highlight of our Bangkok trip!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We have some difficult dietary restrictions - my husband is a vegetarian and I have no ability to handle spicy food - but Chin was able to tailor the tour to our needs and it was hands down the best day we had in Bangkok during our visit. Chin seemed to know all the best vendors. Aside from the first noodle stand, which provided a pretty standard noodle dish, all the food was fantastic. We wound our way through the city and had some of the best food I've ever tasted. Along the way we stopped at some points of interest, which made this not just a foodie tour but a local culture tour as well.
We were also interested in finding some of the local attractions (mostly where the best street markets were). It was outside of her normal tour but Chin happily took us to some of the better, more honest, vendors. The tour we booked was 9am-4pm but Chin went out of her way and spent some extra time with us. She didn't expect any extra money but please be kind and tip generously. She deserved it! Chin was great company and very knowledgeable. If you come to Bangkok I recommend spending your first day with her to take advantage of her extensive knowledge of the food and the city. If we go back we're definitely booking with Chili Paste Tours!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I recently had a one on one tour with Chin at Chili Paste Tours while in Bangkok. As a professional Chef and Cooking Teacher I wanted to experience a backroads culinary modern Bangkok. I had lived in Bangkok 20 years ago and really wanted to see how food, if food had changed. Chin was perfect. It was clear for the beginning that she had really thought about and planned out the day. She met me at the apartment I was staying at at 9:00 and then from there we started walking and tasting. Since I make wedding cakes, she put a special focus on Thai desserts, and took me to an incredible cake shop. We looked at fresh produce, sampled food, visited the temple, visited a chinese herbalist (not planned - but so much fun and my kids love the dried lizard I brought back, though I still haven't had the courage to drink the insect, lizard and root headache tea), then went and grabbed a snack at the protest, ate icecream, soup, ate so much! it was 6:00 when we finished. She would have kept going, but I had an appointment. Since she knew I was a chef, she even stopped by while I was out and dropped off some of her mothers homemade curry paste for me to cooking with - amazing by the way. I can't imagine a better introduction not just to bangkok food, but to bangkok itself. If you are thinking about doing a tour in Bangkok and want something fun, personal, and not touristy do this.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We took two tours with Chili Paste Tours and they were absolutely two of the best experiences of our three week trip to Thailand. If you're a fan of Anthony Bourdain and want a similar "insider's look" into the food scene of Bangkok and surrounding areas, then this is the right tour company for you. Beware, though -- she will make sure you leave the tour completely stuffed with amazing food!

From start to finish, Chin was incredible to work with. She promptly responded to all questions and requests by email. The day before our first tour, she contacted us with concerns due to the amnesty bill protests. We changed from the Old Bangkok tour to the Thonburi tour due to safety and transportation concerns -- we really appreciated the heads up and we also really enjoyed the new tour. Thonburi was an eye opening and delicious experience; it's definitely a side of Bangkok that I'd bet very, very few visitors see. She also adapted the tour to skip the temple visit since we had been there the day before. Chin thinks of everything; water, tissues, a bag to carry things you buy along the way.... she made everything so easy and fun!

Chin was knowledgeable, funny, and warm. She felt like an old friend, instead of a tour guide and even though we went to some slightly questionable neighborhoods, she had such a rapport with the locals that we never felt uncomfortable.

Our second tour was just as enjoyable -- she took us outside of Bangkok to see the famous floating markets. Despite the rain, it was lovely -- a canal ride, checking out the markets, exploring an ancient temple, and having a delicious seafood meal. Between the two tours, I felt like I learned and saw more from the Thonburi tour, simply by nature of the neighborhood; I'd recommend that one for a more in-depth, authentic, "grittier" insight into Thai food; the floating markets are better for sight-seeing and ambience -- it's rather romantic for a couple, too.

Chin also went out of her way to help us outside the tours. When I contacted her on revisiting a spot she took us to on our first tour, she volunteered to meet me and take me there on her day off! As a bonus, she took me on a side trip to a great little shopping area on the way back to my hotel and I scored some fantastic Bangkok fashion at bargain prices.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to rebook Chin for a tour or to recommend her wholeheartedly for anyone interested in an unforgettable and authentic tour of the Bangkok food scene. I wish she had been able to show me everywhere in Thailand, not just Bangkok!