“Better than Bourdain!”
Review of Chili Paste Tour

Chili Paste Tour
Ranked #46 of 276 Tours in Bangkok
More attraction details
Owner description: Taste the extraordinary Thai food and culture hidden beyond the surface of everyday Bangkok. Interact with local people. Visit little-known but fascinating places. Sample exquisite foods made by humble families. Our exclusively private tours encourage you to move at your own pace while experiencing Bangkok's food and culture in a far more intimate way than group tours allow. We have a strong commitment to social and environmental responsibility, and as avid travelers, we always strive for spontaneity and adventure.
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We took two tours with Chili Paste Tours and they were absolutely two of the best experiences of our three week trip to Thailand. If you're a fan of Anthony Bourdain and want a similar "insider's look" into the food scene of Bangkok and surrounding areas, then this is the right tour company for you. Beware, though -- she will make sure you leave the tour completely stuffed with amazing food!

From start to finish, Chin was incredible to work with. She promptly responded to all questions and requests by email. The day before our first tour, she contacted us with concerns due to the amnesty bill protests. We changed from the Old Bangkok tour to the Thonburi tour due to safety and transportation concerns -- we really appreciated the heads up and we also really enjoyed the new tour. Thonburi was an eye opening and delicious experience; it's definitely a side of Bangkok that I'd bet very, very few visitors see. She also adapted the tour to skip the temple visit since we had been there the day before. Chin thinks of everything; water, tissues, a bag to carry things you buy along the way.... she made everything so easy and fun!

Chin was knowledgeable, funny, and warm. She felt like an old friend, instead of a tour guide and even though we went to some slightly questionable neighborhoods, she had such a rapport with the locals that we never felt uncomfortable.

Our second tour was just as enjoyable -- she took us outside of Bangkok to see the famous floating markets. Despite the rain, it was lovely -- a canal ride, checking out the markets, exploring an ancient temple, and having a delicious seafood meal. Between the two tours, I felt like I learned and saw more from the Thonburi tour, simply by nature of the neighborhood; I'd recommend that one for a more in-depth, authentic, "grittier" insight into Thai food; the floating markets are better for sight-seeing and ambience -- it's rather romantic for a couple, too.

Chin also went out of her way to help us outside the tours. When I contacted her on revisiting a spot she took us to on our first tour, she volunteered to meet me and take me there on her day off! As a bonus, she took me on a side trip to a great little shopping area on the way back to my hotel and I scored some fantastic Bangkok fashion at bargain prices.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to rebook Chin for a tour or to recommend her wholeheartedly for anyone interested in an unforgettable and authentic tour of the Bangkok food scene. I wish she had been able to show me everywhere in Thailand, not just Bangkok!

All reviews
in 41 reviews
"amphawa"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I had a fabulous day with Khing doing the old Bangkok food and culture walk.She was great company and an enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide. We got to go to some places we would never have found otherwise and I had the best coconut ice cream I am likely to have in my life! The only suggestion I might make to chilli paste is to perhaps have a tour for people who have a familiarity already with the basics of thai food and want to try some stuff off the beaten track; this tour features a lot of Thai staples eg jungle curry, green papaya salad, green and red curry (albeit very delicious versions of them!) and it might be good to have another option for food fans who want to go outside their comfort zone? anyhow, i would 100% recommend this tour agency, it was the best thing i did in bangkok. thanks Khing! x

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I booked a guided tour of Bang Nam Phueng market, in the hope it would provide me with some insider information to Thai street food. Since I was travelling solo, I was expecting to be added to a group tour - but instead Chin picked me up herself in her car and took me around the market all by myself. It was the most amazing solo guided tour experience I've ever had, as Chin explained everything I wanted (and fed me lots of food) and totally shaped the day to my own needs and whims. I will definitely book Chin again on my next trip to Bangkok, as it felt more like a day of hanging out with a new friend than an actual tour. Totally fantatsic, I can only highly recommend Chili Paste Tours!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I just finished a street food tour with Chin - what an amazing experience!
Having a local guide put us totally at ease trying things we wouldn't normally have and Chin went out of her way to make sure we had an authentic Bangkok experience, even helping us launch a lantern in to the sky (after a failed first attempt!) as it was the eve of the Loy Krathong festival. Highly recommend!!!