“top class”
Review of The NooK Bangkok

The NooK Bangkok
Ranked #273 of 742 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 22, 2014

2 nd time we have stayed here ,right on the doorstep of pantip plaza and platunman cloths market,very quite at night in the rooms no traffic or bar noise all all, wake up to hear birds singing in a tree outside to hotel, all fitting in room and bathroom are of top class, very soft pillows and lovely duvets on the very com fable beds , the breakfast fried eggs 2, bacon, sausage ham and toast, coffee really great to start the day with, Patrick the host all ways on hand toi give advice on the city,the free wifi in the rooms is a strong signal and u can use the free internet computer in the reception area as well, will be staying there again next time we visit bkk

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Location is everything in the hospitality world and this property has a great one.

Easy 5 minute walking distance to the best clothes shopping in Bangkok at Platinum and Pratunam and when you need to go further afield there are 100s of public buses to most points just 100 metres away. BTS and airport train just 10 minutes stroll away too. Hotel located in a whisper quiet location itself.

Rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Bed is medium firm and large king size. Toiletries provided in form of wall mounted liquid shampoo and soap dispensers.

Breakfast included in room rate and decent selection and portion size.

Complimentary wifi is stable and good speed. AC works well and quietly.

No in room safe and there was a very slight smell of sewerage from time to time in the room but nothing overbearing or totally unpleasant as to stop me staying here are again in the future.

Solid choice and value for money for a budget range hotel.

Room Tip: Room 202 had ok outlook over parking courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2013

As my title suggests, this really was the worst stay i've ever experienced out of the countless times i've been to Bangkok. My mom and i decided to stay here because from the map this place seems very strategic, and also the reviews on TripAdvisor was excellent.

The day we got there (3pm), we had no difficulties finding the place at all, but when we got there, there reception area was EMPTY. The fans were off, needless to mention airconds, and there was no one, for a good 15mins, until a sloppily dressed young man came and asked for our names and said he'll bring us to our rooms. That was the first bad impression already as this young man could be anyone!

But after we got to our rooms, it was okay, the room was clean, although the flooring made the place looks slightly creepy. And there were also no sewage smell, like some other reviewers had mentioned. So we were quite contented with the room.

However, every night after shopping, when we head back to the nook, even as early as 9pm, the whole place is like a ghost town. The reception area's lights will be completely off, with no one, no receptionist, no security guards, and only a few dimly lit lights near the area near the restaurant. It was very scary and it didn't feel safe at all. To get into the rooms area and the elevator there's a glass door that you have to tap your card. How do you expect the guests to feel safe in somewhere so dark, and the only things guarding is a fragile looking glass door?

But this horror doesn't end here. On the last night of our stay, I fell terribly sick with a very serious case of food poisoning. I woke up at 11pm shivering and came down with a high fever. After my mom fed me with some meds, the fever did not subside and my mom ran out of panadols. So she dialed "0" on the phone in the room three times, but no one picked up. So she walked all the way down to the reception area, and no surprise here, there was no one.

The next morning was our flight and we arranged a taxi with the manager beforehand. So we went down, and when my mom told the manager (whom, in many other reviews are described as extremely helpful and friendly), he insisted he was here until 1am, and my mom should have dialed "0" on the phone. HELLOO??? My mom did! Three times! And no one picked up! Also, my mom walked down personally to the reception and saw no one, are you suggesting my mom was lying?!

Before leaving for the airport my mom asked him if there is a pharmacy nearby that she can buy panadols for me and he gave my mom instructions, only to have my mom walk all the way out to the main road, to find that all the shops were closed.

Also, for the cab booking he told us that to call a cab there's a 50baht surcharge, and that cabs he call will go by the meter as compared to cabs we get on our own by the roads. End up the cab didn't use the meter and charged us a good 400baht, on top of the 50baht we paid the manager.

So my verdict for this b&b?

A bunch of bullcrap. I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone, and will never stay here even if everywhere else in Bangkok is full.

So if you're thinking go going there with your family or your romantic partner, PLEASE FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE. Even Lemontea, period pratunam, and best western mayfair is ten times better. (To say the least, they have a proper reception and security. You won't come back at night to a ghost town alone)

Do not waste your money. It may be cheap, but you're getting less than what you're paying for.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank cherli
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My friends and I stayed in The Nook last Nov30-Dec2.

Accommodation:
-The room was clean and spacious. We booked the family suite (Good for 3 + 1 extra bed) at the 5th floor. All their rooms are big and can accommodate extra beds without getting too cramped. Though they say the max is 4, I think it can accommodate up to 6 people.
-The beds were clean and comfy. AC was great. You can adjust according to preference.
-We have free breakfast as part of our package. I loved their breakfast! They have 3 simple menus: American breakfast, fried rice and fried noodles. I loved the fried noodles! And they have free orange juice and refillable brewed coffee (both of which are so yummy!).
-The staff were nice and friendly. They even taught us a few Thai phrases.
-CON: There is the consistent sewage smell that I read about while I was scooping for hotels. You can minimize it by closing the bathroom door but it’s not so foul to ruin your stay.

Location:
Getting there, we asked Mr Frederick Poupart for airport pickup since our flight arrived at midnight. The hotel is near the main road, so moving around Bangkok was easy. We practically walked 60% of the time. And Mr. Poupart was very helpful in giving us directions! Take note, majority of the Thais do not speak English.

Others:
On the way home, my friends and I made a consensus. The best part about the hotel is having a really nice and accommodating host. Mr Frederick Poupart was very helpful in booking our airport pickup, and taxi's. He even gave us directions on how to move around and the shortcut to Siam Square from the hotel. Why? Because during our stay, he and one of our taxi drivers (Mr Chandee) were the only two people whom we could converse with! The rest requires patience and lots of hand signals and diagrams.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dianne D
Reviewed December 8, 2013

If you need a good place to sleep, and maybe catch an excellent included breakfast buffet, while you are busy enjoying your vacation out of the hotel, then you are a candidate for one of Bangkok's many "low-frills" hotels. They're usually family owned, impeccably clean, and priced right. Very near the top of the list is the Nook Hotel, Bangkok. This family owned hotel is hospitable. clean, with large rooms, and beds that are not the typical Thai hard-as-rocks style. Plenty of room in the bathrooms too. It is quiet, down Soi 5 just far enough from Petchaburi to be in its own world. A seven-eleven is just down the Soi, as are several other shops for toiletries and sundries. In the dry season, there is never a smell in this hotel, (note other reviews that mentioned it were during the rainy season, when substantially all hotels have it).though around the 2011 flooding i did encounter it. The Nook is close to the major shopping places, but more importantly is an easy walk to the Airport Rail line, even with suitcases if you don't want to bother with a taxi or TukTuk of motorcycle taxi. The breakfast buffet is just great, and they'll let you take some up to sleeping companions. Late arrivals are no problem here, with advance notice. Staff is always helpful Its high-season 2014 prices have gone up a bit (+$7/night) from 2013, but it still runs under $47 a night, with taxes thrown in, so it fits my sweet spot. Great location, nice people, clean, good food, spacious, quiet and all for a good price!

Room Tip: the higher the floor the better during the rainy season...dry season, they're all good
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DavidWGrant
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed two nights after bus trip from Koh Chang.Very impressed from the word go!.The manager/owner?was very welcoming and helpful throughout the stay-fully fluent in French,English and Thai,maybe even more.Really spacious room with a very comfortable bed.Stocked fridge in the room,tv,phone etc.Everything good quality.Very quiet during my stay,a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle of Pantip plaza and the Platinum mall.Didnt find any decent bars but used the basement bar in the Amari Watergate which has a buy one get one free up until 7pm.Couldnt afford to stay after 7!!.American breakfast,which was free,was excellent.Overall,really well managed and affordable.

Room Tip: 507 is a single room but spacious and quiet-plenty of room to park the shopping!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I stay in this hotel for 5 days 4 nights. This hotel is very near to the BTS train station and airport link. The shopping mall is very near by the hotel is just 7 minute walking distance.

The hotel room is very big, as I can put my bags. There is a LCD TV in the room with over 200 channels to watch. The hotel is a bit noisy because there is no carpet on the floor and thin wall. The hotel room is a bit smelly as is very less ventilation.

The hotel provide good breakfast. I love the breakfast a lot. There are a few breakfast choice such as bread with ham , fried noodles, and fried rice.

The hotel staff are very friendly they help me a lot. I would like to stay in this hotel the next time when I come to bangkok.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends