“Fantastic!”

Mercure Bangkok Siam
Ranked #99 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Mercure Bangkok Siam was simply fantastic! The rooms were pretty new and definitely clean. We loved the views that we had on the higher floors. Toilets and beds were awesome! The front door staff at the ground level were super helpful. They always helped us to book taxis when we need. They helped us called the restaurants that we were going to confirm the address and informed the taxi drivers specifically where is our destination. While waiting for the taxi, they will also sometimes chat with us and answer our questions such as where is the best place to buy stuff etc. The hotel is right in front of National Stadium BTS with an escalator on the right side of the hotel's exit which leads you directly to it. Just a short walk to major shopping malls such as MBK, Siam Paragon etc! You can even walk all the way to Central World and Pratunam if your feet could take it :). Will definitely stay here on all our Bangkok trips as staying in Pratunam can be very hectic due to the traffic and crowds.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Norandy00
SimoneHMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Norandy00,
I was very happy to read your review about our hotel and I really enjoy when our guests enjoy our great location, great rooms and the friendly and efficient service from our staff.
Thank you for sharing your comments and I look forward to your next stay with us.
Simone Hansen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
Reviewed December 23, 2013

To be honest, I would not have opted to stay at Mercure Bangkok Siam if not the favourable reviews I have read. So I was certainly not expecting what I had to go through.

The moment the door was opened, I was greeted by a gust of hot trapped air not unlike what you get when you open the door of a car that had been parked for hours under the scorching sun on a hot summer afternoon.

It puzzled me because the hotel was aware that I was arriving that morning on 11 December 2013. I understand that many hotels especially those under the Accor Group are vying to be certified environmentally-friendly but it doesn’t make sense not to cool a guest room down to a reasonable 25 degree Celsius. I thought its common sense that guests would like to enter a room that is cool and cosy and not one that hotter than the temperature outside in the streets. It is not cost effective and it certainly does not do the environment any good either. The temperature in the BTS trains is cold compared to that in the room at Mercure Bangkok Siam.

As I was thinking, I wondered if this strategy would only overwork the cooling system when Room 2114 registered 31 degree Celsius at the time I entered the room. It was in the morning at about 11 a.m. I cannot imagine how it would have been like in the afternoon!

Room 2114 is a suite. There are a total of 7 such suites in Mercure Bangkok Siam, I was told and they are all facing the stadium and receiving the heat from the afternoon sun. (They are Rooms that end with ‘14’ and run from the 18th floor to the 24th floor). I thought the hotel would use curtains that would keep out latent heat or at least line the glass windows with solar film that could do the trick. Perhaps the hotel has already fitted the windows with it, but it certainly did not do very well in keeping out the heat.

Due to the unbearable heat in the room, I unpacked hurriedly, had a change of clothes (I was drenched in perspiration in that little while I was in the room. It wouldn’t be too much to describe it as a sauna), I left the hotel within 30 minutes.

When I returned at around 5 p.m. that evening, the room was still stuffy although the room thermostat registered 25 degrees Celsius. It had been about 5 hours.

I went to the Premier Lounge and told a very patient Ms Peeraya B about my predicament. She sent someone to my room to check the air-conditioning unit while I tried to escape from the heat in my room by waiting in the lounge.

The engineer claimed that the unit was functioning normally. And I was advised to give the unit even more time to cool the room down.

Ms Peeraya actually offered me another room – Room 1914 but when I visited it, I was appalled that it was equally stuffy and the thermostat registered 31 degrees Celsius. I did not want to wait another 5 hours for it to reach 25 degrees so I politely declined her kind gesture.

That was my mistake for I had to sleep on the sofa in the tiny space called a living room. The air-conditioning unit was functioning normally, says the engineer but he did not say that the vent in the bedroom was not working optimally hence there was little if any draft coming out of it.

The next morning, using a piece of serviette from the lounge, I demonstrated what I meant to Ms Peeraya who was sympathetic towards me. She took me to Room 1914 again but this time, finally, the temperature in the room had already been brought down a notch. Armed with the same piece of serviette, I showed Ms Peeraya that there was indeed some draft coming out of the vent in Room 1914. How is it that the hotel engineer not know this? And each time he entered my room to check on the unit, he raised my setting. I don't think he understood what I grouse was about.

I went to the room on the 21st level, packed up and transferred downwards to the one on the 19th level. I did not come all the way to Bangkok to change rooms. Or complain about the air-conditioning. I could have used that time to do what I like in Bangkok. I was also hesitant about changing rooms because Room 1914 was just two levels above Ibis. Any lower and I would be in Ibis. I did not pay Mercure pricing to stay in a room commanding the standards of an Ibis., either.

I told Ms Peeraya that it did not help when the engineer who attended to my room kept adjusting my setting. I wanted the room temperature to go down and each time after the engineer had visited to check on the unit, he would adjust the setting upwards. Hence, in Room 1914, I tolerated with the initial heat and the room finally felt a little more like a hotel room and not a service apartment.

Service apartment? Yes, the Executive Suite feels like one. The corridor between the living room and the bedroom is not carpeted. Take a look at my photos.

The safe in the cupboard is placed very low and the cupboard doors are huge. When you want to access the safe, the cupboard doors effectively block out the ceiling light and with the door separating the living room from the bed room in the way, larger sized guests would find this quite an acrobatic exercise. Again, please take a look at my photographs to better appreciate the physical constraints. The safe has a built-in LCD light but it lights up for only a few seconds.

The living room is about 7 paces long and three paces wide. Stretching out my hands, I can almost touch the opposite walls. The floor area of the living room is about the same as that of the bathroom so you can imagine how tiny it is.

Mercure Bangkok Siam seems to like sliding doors hence the shower cubicle and the toilet share the same glass sliding door. If one is opened, the other will be closed. And the person using the toilet can watch the person taking a bath au naturel! They are separated by glass. Unfrosted.

And the wooden blind separating the bedroom from the bathroom is positioned on the bedroom side meaning to say you must be comfortable in your own skin when you are taking your bath or answering a call of nature because your room mate or anyone in the bedroom can just slide the blind and smile at you while you are in your birthday suit.

Fortunately, I got to spend my remaining nights on the bed. I could feel a little draft from the vent in this room at least. The bed was okay (I am not particular about whether it is hard or soft) and Mercure has a few colourful hard pillows to cater to guests like me who prefer the pillows to be harder except that the covers are extremely rough.

While taking a shower, I took time to examine the infamous showerhead mentioned by so many other reviewers and understood why they said it was not functioning. You see, there are three little holes in the middle of the showerhead but no water will come out of them. Instead, water is ejected in a mist form through the 8 outer holes.

Guests who prefer water to come out more forcefully to give them a good wash down would attempt to adjust the shower head only to find out that it cannot be done. To them, there is something wrong with the shower head and the water pressure. To the Hotel, the shower head is functioning perfectly and I suspect this is their way of saving water. I guess it is same reasoning why I said there was something wrong with the air-conditioning unit in Room2114 but to the engineer, the air-conditioning unit is up and running fine. I guess it boils down to how much you are willing to listen to the guest and how far you are willing to go the extra mile to make their stay as pleasant as you can possibly make it. To be fair, I think not much and not very far. But it was a memorable stay - albeit in a negative way.

Two glass bottles of water are provided daily. Once opened, they cannot be closed. Fortunately, I used them only for brushing teeth. I was surprised Mercure Bangkok Siam did not inform guests that water from its tap is not potable. There is no indication of this fact in either of the rooms I stayed.

However, Mercure Bangkok Siam was generous with toothbrushes. They were replaced daily. Good.

While there are two LCD televisions in the tiny suites I had stayed in, there was no DVD player. I attempted to borrow one only to be told that there was none in the hotel.

The only luxury is the little ipod charger next to the bed that does not deliver quality sound. Anyway, the doors are not very soundproof. While walking along the corridor, I could tell what some guests were doing in their rooms (blush blush!) and I could also hear the conversations that were going on. So, please be discreet – if you can help it and especially if your friends are going to stay a few doors away and may pop by unannounced. I am sure you do not want they to hear you talking about them.

On the second day of my stay, towels were placed outside the door of Room 1919. Apparently water from the shower was seeping into the corridor. On the evening of my departure, the towels were still there. I asked for my room to be done up when I left for breakfast on the second morning. When I returned room at 2 p.m., my room was still in the exact same state.

The evening canapés were a letdown. They were chewy when they were supposed to be crispy and on one evening, there were only shrimps and mussels (though the shrimps were prepared in two different ways).

I intended to have a meal at the 8 Restaurant but after having tasted the quality of the food served during the evening canapés, I thought it was like a premonition which gave me bad vibes about eating there. Fortunately, food is easily available outside the hotel. Good food can be bought from Siam Square, Siam Paragon and in Yaowarat, if you are willing to travel.

Three different kinds of carbonated soft drinks and a small jug of tangerine juice were available throughout the day at the lounge except during breakfast hours. Soft drinks were not served during breakfast hours.

Breakfast at the lounge was really simple – three types of sliced fruits, one type of sliced cake, some croissants and white bread with butter and one type of jam. It is almost vegetarian. I thought eggs would be basic but apparently I was wrong.

The ‘whole day snacks’ refer to prawn crackers (koropok) placed in a covered container, some cookies and some chocolate on a plate that is exposed to the elements throughout the day and throughout my stay from 11 December 2013 to 16 December 2013.

Before I stayed here, I did not understand why the other reviewers complained about the need to change lifts. Having stayed here, I now understand why.

They could have just allowed the same lift to serve the whole building while devoting the front sets for those who want to access the car park. But of course this can no longer be done now that the building is already up and running.

Actually Ibis Siam and Mercure Bangkok Siam are one. I have stayed in other Mercure Hotels but this one feels distinctively different. At best, it is an Ibis on a higher floor or really just an Ibis disguised as a Mercure. And the staff at the front desk (one of the two modern-looking ladies with short streaks of dyed hair) did not even offer a wai, a smile or a sawadee when they meet a guest. Her nonchalant mannerism as a receptionist left me with a feeling that she was actually doing me a favour by serving me. Then she asked the bellboy to take me up to the lounge for check-in on the 25th floor. She did not thank me so I thanked her.

In fact, only the housekeeping staff greet the guests on a regular basis. I hope Mercure Bangkok Siam can reflect on its practices .

If I had known what to expect of my experience in the hotel, I would have stayed somewhere else that is more into the hospitality business.

So, if you are reading this and thinking of staying there, I pray you do not have to go through what I had to.

To be fair to the hotel, Mercure Bangkok on Siam did grant me an early check-in and a later check-out (they also accorded the same to another family who checked in on Friday). While it did try to be accommodating, there are areas for improvement. And the hotel cannot keep saying it is still new in the business because it has been more than a year or blame the temperature outside when no attempt was made by it to cool the rooms down.

And, do think about your branding. Just because they share the same address, Mercure should not function like an Ibis.

Room Tip: Just go for Ibis. Why pay for Mercure when all you get is still Ibis standard? The physical constr...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank prestontan
Dear prestontan,
Thank you for sharing your comprehensive review about your recent stay with us and I do apologise that you were let down in several areas during your stay.
I have sent your full review to the Chief Engineer to check and review the temperature of these rooms as they are all the same corner location.
I and the team take on board all your comments and feedback and as with all our reviews both positive and constructive, we sent to all our department heads and discuss in our regular meetings.
Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and I hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Siam to show you the improvements.
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is definitely worth the value. It's just next to National Stadium BTS. The gymnasium and the pool have a great view of Bangkok skyline. MBK shopping center is directly opposite the hotel. Siam Paragon is only 5 minutes walk away! Perfect location. You can try their local staple noodle soup at a coffee shop next to the hotel if you do not have a breakfast included in you hotel stay. The push cart selling drinks in front of the coffee shop sells great hot coffee and hot chocolates!
Will definitely come back again ...

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Been there last month to attend Study Trip from Asian Law Student's Association (came with delegates from Taiwan and Sri Lanka too). I paid for $500 for the whole trip (excl. flight tickets), I didn't really expect the committee booked such a great hotel for us. Since I have never been to Thailand before, I had no idea which area is the main attraction in Bangkok. When i arrived, there's liaison officer picked me and he told me the hotel is in the very heart of the city. Reaching the hotel, his word was true. Mercure Bangkok SIam literally surrounded with malls and very very very near with BTS. When i took a tour in the hotel, I stunned with the 29th floor. It's the swimming pool area with a view of Bangkok City! Took a bottle of beer with another Indonesian delegate and the wind was too strong (maybe it's near 'winter' season in Bangkok). Really want to stay there again next time I visit Bangkok.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2013

The hotel has many plus points. It is a stone's throw away from the National Stadium Skytrain. It takes about 5 min to reach MBK shopping mall. The hotel is spacious & very clean. Staff are very friendly, helpful & courteous. I'm very touched by the kind gesture of one of the staff at the Front Desk. She made arrangement for me to print e-ticket for our flight home and when I wanted to make payment for the printed e-tickets, she said it was a complimentary from the hotel. Unfortunately, I did not note down her name.
The area & the nearby shopping malls offer a wide varieties of local as well as international foods. For Muslim travelers, MBK shopping mall offers halal eateries located on the 5th level.

Room Tip: Request for king-size bed and a room overlooking the MBK area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suhana1402
SimoneHMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear suhana1402,
Thank you for sharing your generous comments about your recent stay with us and I was happy to read about the additional service you were shown by the Front Desk staff.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Bangkok Siam on your next visit to Thailand.
Tangerang, Indonesia
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We already booked the hotel room with an additional of breakfast buffet, but when we arrived at the hotel, the front desk staff told me that the price us exclude the breakfast rate, we're kinda dissapointed, but the service is actually quite good as the location is near siam district. Overall service could be more improve, and cleanliness is good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear robbysaputraa,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us and I am happy that overall you had an enjoyable stay, however I apologise if there was some confusion about the breakfast.
We do have room only and breakfast included rates available on our website, and again I am sorry if this was not communicated correctly to you on check in.
I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Bangkok Siam again soon.