“Value for money, great location!”

Mercure Bangkok Siam
Ranked #90 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Visited over Lunar New Year / Valentine's Day with my partner from 13 - 17 Feb.

LOCATION
Conveniently located right in front of National Stadium BTS, it is merely one stop to Siam (do walk though!) and a few more to the major BTS stations. From the airport, you can take the Airport Line to Phaya Thai before changing to Siam then hop right off National Stadium. Sounds like a huge fuss but trust me, its easier, cheaper and quicker than taking the cab. But should you be taking one, do note that the address is pretty new to the cabbies - simply direct them to National Stadium BTS or MBK mall (you need to tell them to turn right and keep slow when you have MBK on the top right of the t-junction). Lots to buy and see and eat on the streets down to Siam especially when the vendors lay out their stalls on the sidewalks by afternoon.

ROOMS
Relatively comfy for up to 3, roomy for 2 persons. Mercure rooms are generally high floored (Ibis rooms are on the lower floors). We got a room on the 21st storey and the view was fabulous. Housekeeping is perfect - amenities always replenished, and always came back to neat tidy rooms.

MEALS
Had breakfast included daily which was good because most shops do not open before 10am. Eat your fill then head out for some shopping or sightseeing. Breakfast spread is adequate but nothing to shout about, however definitely good enough.

AMENITIES
Rooms are equipped with hot water making facilities, hairdryer, drinking water, and iron. No minibar set up during our stay though. Complimentary wifi is provided and you can also use the computers at the lobby (level 9 for Mercure guests). TV has over 90 channels but dont think you'd be indoors much anyway - would be great if hotel could implement a channel guide.

OTHERS
Love the employees - always friendly and ready to help. Concierge and security were great, pity we didnt get their names. The guy we approached went out of his way to give sightseeing and transport advice - just ask them the best way to get there and heed the advice. Security guard on duty also went out of his way to get us a tuktuk at reasonable pricing because there werent any cabs on V-day.

VERDICT
4.5/5 - am coming back!

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Check in : Feb 15 2013
Room . : 2120

As a A club platinum card holder I stay approximately 60 nights / year in Mercure , Novotel and Sofitel hotels all over the world ,strange enough this is the first time that I have to guarantee my total stay in advance. I was told by the front desk officer that this is a "Mercure hotel policy". Beside my room number , no further explications given about the restaurant , breakfast or where I could find the lift.
Rooms are fresh and nicely decorated with the usual Mercure amenities. Good sleep comfort and excellent airco.
The location of this hotel is just perfect next to the National stade BTS and just steps away from the Siam shopping area.
Nice international breakfast buffet, unfortunately the staff is rude and not service minded.
I got a welcome drink voucher for all kind of drinks with the exception of champagne or hard liquor
to use in the bar or restaurant. When I presented the voucher to the bar waiter , I was told that it was only for juice or soft drinks......

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank tony_schepens
SimoneMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear tony_schepens,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay at the Mercure Bangkok Siam.
I am sorry to hear that you had some problems during your stay, especially considering you are our valued Accor Le Club Platinum member.

I have discussed the issues with the Food and Beverage and Front office teams to ensure that we improve our communication regarding the hotel facilities and benefits.

I am happy to hear that you did enjoy the great location of the hotel and the breakfast buffet.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the Mercure Bangkok Siam again in the future to show you our true Mercure service.

Mercure and ibis Bangkok Siam Hotels

Reviewed February 13, 2013

When arrived at the hotel, nobody was at the lobby, have to wait a couple of minutes before someone appears. Reception is at the 9th floor. Very good location, 1 block from MBK shopping. BTS sky train just a steps away. But as BTS is a great transport option in Bangkok ( and cheap) , if shooping is your option of choosing this hotel, you can stay in other hotel close to BTS and you can easily reach the shopping area.
After check out, I came back later to ask them if a room was available for 5 hours ( until my flight departs) as my daughter was feeling sick. The only room they offer was a suite and charge me BHT 5600 ( = EUR 140 ) for staying only 5 hours . I will not come back

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JMPJMP

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Mercure Bangkok Siam.
I apologise that you did not have a warm welcome on your arrival at the hotel, and this is not our normal standard of welcoming our guests to our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that you had to re-check in to the hotel due to your daughter feeling unwell. At that time the hotel was fully booked as it was Saturday night of Chinese New Year - a very popular time in this area. Hence we only had suite rooms available at the time.

I take on board your comments and will share your experience with our team in order that we can continue to improve our customer service.

Mercure and Ibis Bangkok Siam Hotels

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We spent there 3 nights altogether.We were initially put on the 20th floor rooms which has a terrible solvent smell while this property has just opened.Then we were moved to 19th floor with less smell while there must have been quite a few number of guests staying there.Breakfast served excellent with all western and Thai specialities.Location is unique with a step you are on Skytrain to amjor sites and interchange connection to Suvarnabhumi.Its 45 Baht to take the airport express to get to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anaximander66
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is one building, with Ibis entrance on right . mercure on left.
To access the Mercure you take one elevator to floor 9, walk across reception and take a second elevator to your room. This could be annoying if you have to wait for lifts at peak times .
Having made my booking with accor online, and submitted my credit card....I was shocked to be asked for a deposit (think 500bts per night)I would suggest you pay cash for this deposit, I proffered my credit card, only to find on departure that they had not just taken the deposit but the whole cost of my 5 nights stay on arrival, and for for some unexplained reason I still had to pay again on departure, being assured by the manager the first amount would be credited back onto my card. (hope it has) (The manager came from the Ibis and was wearing Ibis uniform.)
As the hotel is brand new, the rooms are obviously well furnished, and comfortable.The shower didnt drain, but no problem as you can remove the drain cover to correct this.
The hotels location is second to non, within walking distance of MBK and Paragon
which both have food halls, restaurants, and a supermarket in Paragon. Jim Thomsons House (plus restaurant)is nearby.
My overal impression was an Ibis Hotel, with better rooms. Personally I felt for only a little more money there are better full service Accor brand options in BKK.
However the position of this hotel is hard to better, and I expect the Ibis customers are satisfied. This Mercure is just not for me.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrsB333
SimoneMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear MrsB333,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Mercure Bangkok Siam.

I am sorry to hear that our staff did not explain the pre-authorization procedure for the room deposit and also the poor drainage of the shower in your room.

I hope that we can welcome you back to either the Mercure or the ibis Bangkok Siam on your next stay in Bangkok.

Mercure and ibis Bangkok Siam

Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel proved to be a great surprise. You descend the steps of the National Stadium skytrain platform and walk into the hotel. It's actually two hotels in one. Ibis downstairs and Mercure from the 9th floor up. And it's only been open a few weeks so sparkling new

The location couldn't be better. In addition the easy access to the skytrain which will get you to most parts of the city, the Bangkok Arts & Culture Centre is a few meters away and then the amazing shopping of Siam is right there. Siam Centre is fascinating.

Be sure to spend some time at the hotel roof bar and swimming pool, perched on top of the building. The gym is also up here and the view is amazing.

Being brand new, the room is still fresh although there was a cockroach that appeared in the shower. The bed is truly heavenly and the view is of the various sports stadiums. I ordered room service and the chocolate fondant rates amongst the best I've ever eaten! Pity about another crawling bug that arrived with the tray. Internet connection in public areas was great but in the room (2217) it was slow and erratic. Hopefully just a teething problem.

Finally, breakfast on the 8th floor restaurant is a large spread with loads of friendly servers and chefs.

Will I stay again? Without a doubt!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Travelled with my mother over the weekend of 25th January to 28th January. The first thing when you get to the airport is to tell the drivers MBK or National Stadium because it is so new that they generally have no idea where this is. No worries about it, because you will be able to see the building sticking out of the surrounding (look out for Mercure/Ibis) and you will be fine.

The staff at concierge are probably the most amazing bunch I have met so far. They welcome you, ask about how you want your trip to be, and give their suggestions to it. When they see you again, they actually remember what places they recommended and how it was. Reception was wonderful, and they actually pre-prepared the documents beforehand, which I think is good practice because this actually saves a lot of time if every reservation is already well-prepared. The welcome drink was a defining touch, because the bar at level 9 has a scenic view and a wonderful breeze, giving a refreshing break from the long travels.

The room is very, very clean. There were two Thai-inspired engravings on the wall, which adds a nice touch. Nice long couch, great pillows and bed. One little nitpicking was that there were too many channels in Thai (but there were a whopping 97 channels, happy surfing). The bathrooms were spacious and spanking clean. I did not experience the flooding issue with the shower room floor, perhaps it has been sorted out already. Complimentary shampoo, shower gel, and soap were not the cheap, drying kind.

What can I say about the pool and the gym. You have got to experience it to believe it. Running on the treadmill on the 29th floor overlooking the whole of riverside Bangkok has got to be one of the best runs of my life. The pool on the high floor gives you a bird's eye view of Bangkok city, and is actually a great place for a snooze away from the traffic haze.

One peculiar thing that I have reflected back to Mrs Simone, the general manager, is that of the lifts. They do not require key cards to access the room floors. However, there is little to worry about because the reception staff are always on the look out and definitely able to distinguish guest from strangers.

The location has got to be the main reason I will return to this hotel. The escalator to National Stadium BTS is practically at the hotel's doorstep, so close that I recommend they build a shelter to it just to establish that link. You will never fully appreciate it until you come back to the hotel at the end of a long, long day out only to have to walk that few steps to reach the comforts of the hotel.

I strongly commend Mrs Simone Hansen and her amazing team for bringing the standards of this new establishments up to that of other established Accor hotels around the region. A true gem in the making.

Room Tip: Pick rooms 3, 4, 5, and 6 to get a good view of Central World, Siam Paragon and the like. Mercure...