“Amazing Stay”

Mercure Bangkok Siam
Ranked #101 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
“Amazing Stay”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Travelled with my mother over the weekend of 25th January to 28th January. The first thing when you get to the airport is to tell the drivers MBK or National Stadium because it is so new that they generally have no idea where this is. No worries about it, because you will be able to see the building sticking out of the surrounding (look out for Mercure/Ibis) and you will be fine.

The staff at concierge are probably the most amazing bunch I have met so far. They welcome you, ask about how you want your trip to be, and give their suggestions to it. When they see you again, they actually remember what places they recommended and how it was. Reception was wonderful, and they actually pre-prepared the documents beforehand, which I think is good practice because this actually saves a lot of time if every reservation is already well-prepared. The welcome drink was a defining touch, because the bar at level 9 has a scenic view and a wonderful breeze, giving a refreshing break from the long travels.

The room is very, very clean. There were two Thai-inspired engravings on the wall, which adds a nice touch. Nice long couch, great pillows and bed. One little nitpicking was that there were too many channels in Thai (but there were a whopping 97 channels, happy surfing). The bathrooms were spacious and spanking clean. I did not experience the flooding issue with the shower room floor, perhaps it has been sorted out already. Complimentary shampoo, shower gel, and soap were not the cheap, drying kind.

What can I say about the pool and the gym. You have got to experience it to believe it. Running on the treadmill on the 29th floor overlooking the whole of riverside Bangkok has got to be one of the best runs of my life. The pool on the high floor gives you a bird's eye view of Bangkok city, and is actually a great place for a snooze away from the traffic haze.

One peculiar thing that I have reflected back to Mrs Simone, the general manager, is that of the lifts. They do not require key cards to access the room floors. However, there is little to worry about because the reception staff are always on the look out and definitely able to distinguish guest from strangers.

The location has got to be the main reason I will return to this hotel. The escalator to National Stadium BTS is practically at the hotel's doorstep, so close that I recommend they build a shelter to it just to establish that link. You will never fully appreciate it until you come back to the hotel at the end of a long, long day out only to have to walk that few steps to reach the comforts of the hotel.

I strongly commend Mrs Simone Hansen and her amazing team for bringing the standards of this new establishments up to that of other established Accor hotels around the region. A true gem in the making.

Room Tip: Pick rooms 3, 4, 5, and 6 to get a good view of Central World, Siam Paragon and the like. Mercure...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chun Kiat G
SimoneMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Chun Kiat G,

Thank you for sharing such nice comments about your recent stay at the Mercure Bangkok Siam.

You will be happy to hear that the water flooding in the room has been repaired so this should not happen again and thank you for bringing it my attention.

The key card system for the elevators is on process and should be completed by next week, so that will ensure more secure access to the Mercure guest rooms.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back to the Mercure soon.

Kind regards,

Simone Hansen
Mercure and ibis Bangkok Siam Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My friend and I are pleasantly surprised by the convenience, comfort level and cleanliness of the room. There was lunch buffet promotion in Jan 2013, buy 1 gets 1 free at THB 550 nett. There was a wide selection from appetisers, main course to desserts, everything taste good and fresh.

I read some reviews that taxi drivers could not locate this new hotel. Fortunately, we did not have this problem. The hotel is at the doorstep of BTS skytrain station, National Stadium. Cross the BTS bridge is MBK and all the other big shopping malls are linked by the skytrain. It is really convenient and easy for us.

Only thing that disappointed us a bit was that when we arrived at the hotel at about 1pm, our room was not ready. The reception staff offered to upgrade us to a suite room but the suite room was also not ready. So, rather than waiting, we told the reception that we would do some shopping across the road and return in a few hours to check-in. When we returned, the reception told us that our room was ready and the offer of upgrading to a suite room was therefore cancelled. Somehow, the offer did not look genuine or was it made to keep us happy while waiting for the room to be ready? Then our 'hope' was vanished.

Whatever, although the hotel's offer of a suite room upgrade was "not real", we enjoyed our stay in Mercure Siam Bangkok very much.

Singpore
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at Mercure Siam on 14-17 Jan. Being new most taxi drivers do not the way but i am able to direct the driver as i have visited bkk many times. Upon arrival at the entrance 2 staffs direct us to take the lift to 9th floor lobby. Concierge were very friendly especially Ms Vallaya whom we have fun dealing with her. Presently, only 3 floors are opened ie 18-20th. We had 2 rooms 2002/2006 on 20th floor with good views of the city. Only problem we encountered is the bathroom is flooded after showers. It took a long time to drain out. Both rooms had the same problem. Also,most of the TV channel are in Thai eg Fox Crime in thai with 2 news channel in english CNA & BBC. Rooms were a good size with safe,coffee/tea maker & a comfortable daybed. Breakfast were on the 8th floor with wide selections to suit everyone. Lastly, the BTS station is located in front its entrance. Also, MBK,Siam Parangon & Siam Square are all within walking distances. Local favourite Somboon Seafood is also round the corner. Being a Le Club member I will be returning to Mercure Siam soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

ibis Hotel Bangkok Siam (as well as Mercure) is at the same location, just next to the BTS National Stadium skytrain station and diagonally opposite MBK. The hotel staff was friendly when we arrived and also suggested places to visit after we asked for a map from the front counter. They have a swimming pool at the roof as well as a gym, and also to have a great view!

Initially, some of my friends had some difficulty to find the place as it is relatively new and some of the taxi drivers are unsure of where it is. Fortunately, my taxi driver asked for the hotel number so that he could call and check the location of the hotel (something your could suggest to the taxi drivers if they are unsure of where the place is).

Rooms were decent sized for ibis, just enough for two and for Mercure it was quite spacious and could accommodate up to 3 persons. The fridge for some of our rooms was not cold and had some difficulty keeping the juices and beer cold. In addition, we had a misunderstanding during breakfast on the last day. We decided to have the international breakfast at the hotel but was charged differently for Mercure and ibis. After some clarification within their side, the restaurant manager gave us a similar price for both ibis and Mercure.

Tsuyama, Japan
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The fresh smell of paint gave me a headache as I entered my superior queen-sized room. Turning on the TV, I get crummy reception with no pay-per view or English stations. Room service food was decent, although the people on the phone kept calling me "ma'am" - that was embarrassing (I'm a man). Concierge and most of the staff are friendly with nice smiles, the concierge always made me felt taken care of, perhaps too much. No currency exchange service at the hotel, or good information on how to find one (or that a passport would be required to do so). Internet service is consistent, although not quite fast enough to skype or stream videos without problems. A/C is bloody noisy! Bathrooms lack toothbrush, toothpaste and shaving kit. Not the mention that from the bed, you get a clear glass view of the toilet. That is not an image you want to see, even with a loved one.

Most annoying? Well it is still under construction, so someone was working with a concrete hammer in the fire escape next to my hotel room. That was really peaceful at 9 in the morning... Furthermore, the pool and fitness facilities can be "booked for parties" meaning that they then become off limits to the other guests. There's no information or warning about this, just a "Sorry" from one of the staff as you try to enter the roof with your bathing suit on and a towel in one hand. I guess my evening swim is out of the question.

Overall, I had high hopes but was generally underwhelmed. It is next to National Stadium station, so it is generally easy it get to, and taxis are not difficult to find in this area, either. In addition, the staff somewhat make up for what this place is lacking. However, although the service is good, this is not the most pampering hotel I've stayed at. There are no pamphlets, TV guides, or other information to speak of in the rooms.

Room Tip: Wait until construction is all finished and the new paint smell has cleared the hallways.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tamatto
SimoneMI2, General Manager at Mercure Bangkok Siam, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Tomatto,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Mercure Bangkok Siam.

I am sorry to hear that you had some issues during your stay with us, and as we only open the hotel last month we do have some ongoing construction to improve the facilities of the hotel.

I will pass your feedback on to the team in order that we can improve our service and if you would be so kind to email me your details; date of stay and room number, so that I can follow up the problem with the AC in the room.

Again, I apologise for any inconvenience that incurred and I do hope that you can share with me more details so that I can follow up.

Kind regards,

Simone Hansen
Mercure and ibis Bangkok Siam Hotels
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Mercure Bangkok Siam for three nights on 5 Jan. Being a very new hotel, we initially had some difficulties in communicating the address to the taxi driver at the airport - it's advisable to have the address printed out in Thai or something. But nonetheless, we were impressed by the contemporary modern decor at this hotel - ibis and Mercure are combined into one building, and the decor and facilities at the hotel were great.

In particular, the room was cheerful, with nice colour accents on the carpet and Thai art on the wall; the bathroom amenities were adequate, even if there was the minor issue of locks not provided on the door. The swimming pool on the roof was adequate for a few laps, and has a beautiful view overlooking the city. Service was good, and we were cheerfully greeted by the hotel staff when arriving and departing - we needed help from the Mercure concierge for a place we were going to visit, and they were friendly and eager to assist us.

Also, Mercure is situated in a great location, being in the heart of Siam Square. The city's shopping streets are definitely within walking distance from the hotel, and is situated literally next to the Skytrain's National Stadium entrance.

A great location and decor aside, there were a few minor problems that we encountered. Firstly, as it was still under renovation, we could hear consistent and loud banging in our room at 7am on the last morning we were there. Also, there seemed to be miscommunication between the front desk and the restaurant - we had called the front desk to enquire about breakfast buffet prices and were assured that the prices were similar for Mercure and ibis - however, when we called for the bill, we were dismayed to discover that they had charged us differently. Fortunately, after raising the issue they were able to resolve the situation.

On the whole, staying at the Mercure was enjoyable, especially after a long day travelling out and about within the city. The decor, rooms and friendly service made returning to the hotel a welcome experience - the teething problems we encountered are probably only temporary, and once they've been resolved, staying here should be an even more enjoyable experience.

1 Thank timothyseanfang
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Soft opening
Most of the floor closed and under construction .
So there's some drawback about my room , but the hotel tried to fix problems .

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to fix any problems , they are eager to improve their hotel facility and service...
2 Thank toolatetoosoon