“a pleasant surprised !”

Ranked #197 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
gent, belgium
“a pleasant surprised !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

we have been visiting BKK for years now, we were doubtful at first when it came to sathorn area, i was never fond of tis part of BKK yet it was high time that need to move around and checked out and have new experiences.

to my surprised, it was pleasantly great, we had a one bed room apartment facing the housing area, there was even a laundry machine outside the balcony. the kitchenette was minimally supplied, so only light cooking is possible. the supermarket is just 50 meters away from the premises.

the staff especially khun potjanee was more than accomodating to our needs. she is so attentive and efficient. she is always willing to go that extra mile for the hotel guests.

the housekeeping is a little bit inconsistent, some staffs are doing a great job while others are just brisking through their chores.

in-room internet is a real let down, constant on and off, very frustrating and extremely slow. please improved it !!!

overall, apart from the internet problem, we have had a lovely time staying with this establishment .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sylvie-RM, Manager at Oaks Bangkok Sathorn, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Anantara Bangkok Sathorn.

Glad to read that as a frequent traveller to Bangkok, you enjoyed our location. The public transit indeed is a great alternative to discover and explore our exciting city and I truly appreciate your kind words about our Assistant Manager.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the internet connection, we will have our IT technician follow up and also address the concerns you pointed out in housekeeping.

We would love to have you come and stay at Oaks Bangkok Sathorn again soon!

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

It was time for a change. When in Bangkok, we usually stay in Plaza Athenee (still very happy there) but this time we decided to discover the Sathon area, so a hotel there was more convenient. What a pleasant surprise! We stayed 10 days. Oaks is a great alternative and the location is great: in front there's the BRT (Bangkok Rapid Transport) bus which has it's own lane so no traffic jam, in a blink of an eye the bus brings you to destinations you never heard of, for an unbeatable price of 5 Bath. How's that as value for money?
This being said, it's not a 5 star hotel, of course. But it can come close. The rooms are big enough without being very spacious. The service is nice without being perfect. The lobby is efficient without being luxurious - khun Tu was a delight to work with. Most of the guests are long-staying and we didn't suffer from noise. However, rooms facing the busy highway are noisier, so ask for a room away from the highway if trafficnoise might bother you.
I know the hotel staff is reading this, so here come some points of improvement for the future:
* please install a wifi system that really works? The one now is a joke, slow and unreliable; unacceptable in a time where everybody wants to be connected to the net;
* the breakfast is nutritious but with a tiny little effort, the taste can be much better and the variation can improve, after a few days eating always the same food, it gets boring;
* also breakfast: the scrambled eggs were done perfectly; the crêpe I ordered was horrible (not the right dough);
* strangely enough for Thailand there was no buttwasher in the toilet.
Some excellent aspects worth mentioning:
* lovely pool: spacious and salt water, we loved it!
* great steam room and sauna, we didn't mind the leaking or the occasional malfunctioning;
* spacious gym with helpful staff;
* fast elevators;
* unbeatable view in the adjacent Anantara hotel, club lounge 37th floor (not complimentary unless otherwise negotiated); charming staff there too.
We really enjoyed it there. Whenever we want to stay in the Sathon area, we know where to go to!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent property with spacious, well designed rooms that is part of the Anantara Sathorn complex.

All facilities including restaurants, gym, pool and spa are all first class.

Excellent value.

Staff are all well-trained, courteous and helpful.

Its truly a peaceful oasis in the middle of a very hectic city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CGM62
Sylvie-RM, Manager at Oaks Bangkok Sathorn, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Guest:

Delighted to read that you enjoy your visit!

Indeed we aim to provide a friendly and relaxed oasis amidst our vibrant city!

With our sincere thanks for your kind words, and our warm regards

Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

1. Staff was poor. No service oriented
2. Despair communication of staff
3. Room was terrible.
4. Very noise from out side (our room is on 11th floor)
5. Food is low quality
6. No WiFi service in room

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Reviewer:

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Bangkok Sathorn
I have contacted you directly regarding the issues you mentioned. Please accept our sincere apologies and rest assured that our dedicated team aims to ensure that all our guests leave us with a memorable and positive experience.

Kind regards

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom suite on level 16, stayed for 5 nights in March/April 2013 with my husband, daughter, my parents and his parents. It was great value for money. The suite was in excellent condition, very clean and neat. Couldn't find a fault. It had 3 bedrooms, three bathrooms, two kitchenettes, two living areas, one washing machine and 4 flat screen TVs. Could not ask for more. The whole trip to Thailand was a great one because of the hotel. The staff was very professional and helpful. We had our rooms/bathrooms cleaned everyday.
Negatives:
1. It is about 6km from the central shopping areas like Platinum Plaza, MBK, Siam Paragon but the traffic is so awful that it can take about an hour to get there by car. There are no shopping places within walking distance to the hotel.
2. We paid AUD10 per day for wifi access but later found out that you can access internet free of charge at the business centre located on level 2. Hotel staff should've mentioned this to us before.

Tips:
1. When you catch a taxi from the airport, tell the guy to take you to Anantara Hotel. They dont know Oaks. My driver had been driving taxi in Bangkok for 15 years but did not know Oaks, when I told him Anantara, he knew the place.
2. There is a good super market just two minutes walk from the hotel. Buy your milk, bread, butter from there. Its so cheap.
3. Anantara Hotel is right next door, managed by same people, you can go to the restaurents there too, the two hotels share the swimming pool, it is between the two buildings. The pool is excellent.
4. There is a taxi hiring place just outside the hotel. They site outside with a desk, we found this really nice driver who drove us around. He charged us AUD45 for the whole day from 8am to 6pm and took us anywhere we wanted to. The charge includes parking fees at malls and freeway tolls. It was a nice comfy 7 seater. His name was Thonsa, from memory.
5. If you want to do some good shopping, don't waste your time anywhere else but go to The Platinum Fashion Mall in Pratunam, its close to the hotel. Its the biggest wholesale fashion mall in Thailand, good clothes and very cheap. There are two buildings in the mall, zone 3 is for shoes and hand bags only. Amazing place for shopping. Go to MBK shopping centre if you want to buy silk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kay K
Sylvie-RM, Manager at Oaks Bangkok Sathorn, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Dear guest:

I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and so pleased that you took time to share this with Tripadvisor’s readers.

Thank you for your tips for readers regarding the name of the Hotel as we recently added Oaks to our portfolio in Bangkok and share the location with Anantara Bangkok Sathorn, Great tip about shopping and the taxis too! We have noted your comments about mentioning the complimentary internet access in the lobby and the Business Center.

We would love to have you come and stay with us again. Please feel free to contact me directly at szotoff@oakshotelsresorts.com should I be able to assist you in any way in the future. Alternatively please visit oakshotelsresorts.com for our best rates and availability

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I took a studio apartment on the 7th floor for 2 weeks, and I can honestly say it was probably the best value room I have ever seen in Bangkok. The staff are friendly, kind, and professional, too, and the pool and gym are 5-star quality. The location, however, may be troublesome for those unaccustomed to Bangkok. Although the BTS station is technically a 5 min drive away, the near-continuous traffic jam outside the apartments means that the quickest way to get there is to walk, or better still, take a motorbike taxi. Likewise, getting back to this area of town in the afternoon is a nightmare in a taxi -avoid at all costs. Also, we found the air conditioning too warm and difficult to control.

One slightly sour note was the loss, from my room, of two items of clothing. In the first week I noticed one of my t-shirts was missing, but didn't think much of it. However, in the second week, another one disappeared. When informed, the staff were extremely sympathetic and followed up (they told me) with the cleaning company and security guards to try to recover them. However, it was to no avail, and in the end the mystery was left unsolved. I am 99% convinced that the shirts went missing from the room, but did not want to blame anyone without proof.

That said, I would still recommend the Oaks and would return again.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

We booked this hotel on webjet.com.au as it was part of a special deal, and man the only mistake we made was not staying there for a bit longer!

A friend of mine and I were sharing a two bedroom apartment on the 14th floor. It had an amazing living room with a beautiful view, a spacious kitchen + dining table and a laundry room. We were given 6 bottles of free water everyday. My friend took the room with a king bed and had his own bathroom, which included a bath tub and a rain shower. I had two single beds in my room. I slept on the bed next to the window (locked, no way to open it) and I woke up to the rising sun every morning. There was no safe box in my room so I had to use my friend's but that was no big deal at all as the cleaning lady was so nice, friendly and trustworthy. My bathroom was spacious and super clean. If I had to be picky, I would have liked some hangers/bars for my clothes and towels in the bathroom as the one attached to the sink basin was way too low.

The gym on level 2 was the BEST hotel gym ever!!! Not only it was big, it had all the right machines and equipments I was looking for. There was also a personal trainer on site, it was just amazing! Next to the gym, there was this big outdoor swimming pool by the restaurant. During the day, you would see many hotel guests sunbathing by the pool. At night, the pool was lit by different colours of light - it was just beautiful to swim in it. We took advantage of the breakfast buffet on our second day. There was a good variety of food, including congee, soy milk, miso soup, juices, pastries, hot western food, an eggs station, a salad bar and fruits/yoghurt/cereals. For around 500 Bhat, I thought the food was excellent!

As some other reviewers have pointed out, this hotel is not very well known so whenever you jump into a taxi you should tell the driver that you are going to Anantara. Anantara and Oaks are two separate buildings but they are joined together. The staff at the Anantara entrance were always friendly and helpful, and I liked ordering taxi's through them (their taxi's were always 'by metre' instead of a set price). If you are going to sit in the passenger seat in the front, please make sure you put on your seat belt. We got pulled over in Silom by the police one night because I wasn't wearing my seat belt, and our taxi driver got told to step out of his car. We weren't sure what was happening but the driver got so mad that he started banging his car everywhere with his fists! In the end we had to leave money in the car and run away from the scene (with the approval from the police).

Oaks is about 1km from the nearest BTS station (Chong Nonsi). We took a Sky Train & BTS to get to the hotel from the airport and it was a lot of effort as some BTS stations don't have an escalator (we spent about 250 Bhat each for the one way journey). Another friend took a taxi straight to the airport and it was hassle free, and it only cost him 400 Bhat. I guess it really depends on the time of your travel as the traffic gets really bad between 4pm and 6pm in the afternoon.

Sala Daeng is a BTS station next to Chong Nonsi and that is where most of the "action" is at night. It took me about 40 minutes to walk from Silom (Sala Daeng) to Oaks. You might say Oaks is not close to Silom, yes that is true, however most of the hotels near Sala Daeng are not as good as Oaks.

Overall, we had an amazing time. Thank you Oaks & Anantara for the fantastic stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank janda0808
Sylvie-RM, Manager at Oaks Bangkok Sathorn, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing Oaks Bangkok Sathorn and taking the time to share your valuable feedback with Trip Advisors’ reader

We are delighted to read that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed the spacious room , the gym and most appreciated is the mention of the service of our room attendant. I am also as the facilities and dining options are offered to our guests at Oaks.

So sorry to read of your incident with the taxi driver and thank you for a good safety reminder for our visitors in Bangkok.

It was our privilege to have you as our guests and we hope to welcome you back soon at Oaks Bangkok Sathorn!