“nice but be wary during your stay at this hotel”

Oaks Bangkok Sathorn
Ranked #207 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Moranbah, Australia
“nice but be wary during your stay at this hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

the hotel itself is quite nice. we had a family apartment and once they showed us how to use the washingmachine that was fine. however two things happened that i didn't appreciate. i went down to reception to ask about internet wireless access. they told me that i could use the internet as it was included with my room. that i needed to accept the 300baht a day charge each day and that it would not appear on my bill. however it did appear and they refuse to refund to me, saying that it was not part of room charge. also i once left my camera on chair at the pool during happy hour. i had charged my drinks to my room but they didn't tell me about camera, just put it into lost and found. when i enquired they told me they would bring camera to room. i waited for 2 hours then went down to reception where they told me that i would have to fill in a form and produce passport. obviously they have untrained staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank trysett c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My first night here there were ants in my bed that bit me, my entire back was covered in bites for a week. When I told the desk manager, I was repeatedly asked if I ate food in bed (I had a suite with a kitchen and living room, so not at all.) I found that there was food, old food in the carpet and several hairs in the bathroom that were not mine.

I complained again and they seemed to understand when I said the room is not clean. Again, the maids came to clean it and again the problem was not fixed. When I pointed it out a third time, the food was gone but still the small, curly hairs remain in the bathroom.

Normally cleanliness is not a problem in decent Thai hotels and I am not a neat freak. But when a (new!) hotel is so infested with bugs that I need to see a dermatologist and I complain patiently and it's not fixed, it's a sign of very poor care taking.

My luggage also took three hours to reach my room from storage and the bell hop kept bringing the wrong bags and at one point tried to convince me that someone else's bag was mine! This might be okay for a two or three star property, but not for the expectations they set here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank sabai_sabai
Taos, NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Oakls within walking distance to BTS, very nicely appointed, attentive management and quiet. I enjoyed the outdoor lap pool, nice fitness center open 24/7 with sauna, steam room.

Sylvie, the manager, catered to our needs and was very friendly, accomodating and professional.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank rezmedicine
Villefranche-sur-Mer, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Check in was a little bit trouble as the hotel consists of 2 separate towers. I checked into the Anantara hotel without knowing that i was booked at the Oaks tower so they had no reservation on arrival and paniqued somewhat. This could have been handled better.The staff should have an arrivals list of the other tower or have access to their system.
Elevator carpets could be cleaner and checked more often.

The apartment was great, spacious, spotless clean. Nice large rain shower and big bathtub.
Kitchenette design was not my taste with the big fridge standing out next to it and a washing machine on the balcony.
Very good king size bed with good mattress which allowed me to sleep well as i am very tall.
The pool area is nice at the first look. It needs much better upkeep. Many sunbeds and massage beds need new coverage.
The wooden deck around the very nice pool is in large parts pretty rotten and needs complete replacement instead of just fixing bits and pieces. They were starting redoing parts of it with a fence around it. It was not only ugly to look at but also very annoying and noisy.

The breakfast quality and variety was excellent and left nothing to desire.
I stayed there for 30+ days and it took the staff more than a week to recognize me and my special request for a capuccino each morning. It strongly depended on their mood and on the person i was asking to. Some were fantastic and others very indifferent if not ignorant at times.
I gained the impression it had also to do with the large number of guests from Asia's largest country which could often come in in busloads and not the friendliest and best mannered people on the planet.

I had 3 times room-service which was also very good and delivered well and on time.

I got a late Check-out which was very good and the check-out procedure went very smooth and no issues experienced.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank HHCBrunoWolf
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

it was a very nice hotel, the staff were very friendly and cooperative, the room was clean with every thing u may need including a microwave and a heater, it's also quiet, the view from the room is nice, the location is good, with a close market, although i wished that there was a mall close to the hotel but overall i really loved it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashford, Middlesex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We used these apartments for our last 2 nights in Bangkok before flying home as we needed a cheap base for the 2nd day where we could chill out for a reasonable price even though we weren't sleeping there. The 2 bed apartment is really spacious with new fittings and comfy beds. There are two TV's, a large dining table, two bathrooms and a spacious kitchen/lounge. There isn't much around the building but the skytrain is a 10 min walk away which you can then catch over to the shopping area/MBK National stadium. We also did a boat trip on the river and the canal from here and went up the top of the Lebua hotel to see the sky bar where the Hangover II was filmed. NB - they require men to wear long trousers to go up here even if you're not drinking or eating which was ridiculous! The area up there is full of pretentious snobs!! Lovely view but spoilt by jobs worth who also tell you where you can take your photos! The downside of the apartments are that they are in an identical tower to the Anantara hotel next door and so you share their amenities. The pool is lovely and is 32' long but is in the middle of the towers so the sun is only out for a few hours in the morning and then goes behind the tower block and is gone for the day! No good for afternoon sun bathing. Plus the water is quite cold and is salty. The wooden decking is rotting and is very hot under foot when the sun is out. Wifi works in public areas only. Overall, I'd recommend this building to stay in but would probably stay in a more busier area next time with reasonable shops around.

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor which was OK