“Didn't hate it, didn't love it.”
Review of 1Yolo Youth Hostel

1Yolo Youth Hostel
Ranked #672 of 1,213 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Didn't hate it, didn't love it.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Positives:
Fantastic location - easy walking to Emporium Mall, Terminal 21 and the BTS station
Fairly clean
Let me check in when I arrived at 7am with no additional cost which was a real plus
Real coffee in restaurant though I never tried it

Negatives:
The staff that I met spoke no English and could be a bit rude sometimes - maybe a translation issue!
I was in a room on my own on a floor on my own which I suppose some people would like but when I stay in a hostel it's because I want to meet people
Fairly expensive restaurant
The room on the top floor seemed like it might have had a damp problem - the lady ran up and sprayed it with something to try to hide the smell when I first got there, and it always felt humid!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

The common area is a bare room with some toys for the owner's toddler. You cam sit on the cafe but are not allowed to charge your laptop downstairs their because it "affects their kitchen"! You can only use the plugs in your dorm room!

The staff hardly speak any English!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stas A
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This was my last night in Bangkok and needed a quick place to stay before flying out. They were very nice staff as I entered through the first floor. Also a restaurant. I shared a room with 3 others. Has a young and hip feel to the place. Yolo right. Lockers in the room so bring a lock. A/C in rooms. Yeah. Shared public restrooms. Pretty clean. My one complaint is that they didn't have towels to rent out for an entire day. Off at the cleaners they said. So bring your own if possible. I was just not used to being in a hostel.

• Stayed February 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This hostel has a perfect location near BTS station Phrom Phong. The food is good and affordable. Good coffee and smoothies. Not big, so very personal approach. Owners are friendly and can inform you well about Bangkok and around.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PJ K
Konstanz, Germany
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I traveled with a friend of mine and we were the first time in Bangkok. With the direction hints on the booking confirmation the hostel is easy to find. The staff is very friendly but some of them speak very few English. Yolo's design all in all is very modern, comfortable, sometimes exceptional. We were sleeping in a clean and infrequent 4 dorm with AC. I did not like it that much because it is the only thing in the hostel which looks not as beautiful as the rest, because it has no window and no decoration at all. The hostel's restaurant is really good and offers a lot of different and tasty meals (Western and Asian) but I didn't like the breakfast too much because they only offer the American style of breakfast - like eggs, potatoes, bacon and toast. However there is a wide range of drinks including iced smoothies (!). About the bathroom is nothing to complain about at all and it's like the rest of the hostel very clean.
All in all I would say that 1Yolo is a nice and hostel which is to be worth visiting (clean!, modern, stylish and you get very much for little money) with potential to develop further (working routine, language knowing, decorating the dorm).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Chonburi, Thailand
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Living an hour south of Bangkok, I have made more weekend trips to BKK than I can count and tried a decent number of hostels. I have to say, 1yolo is EASILY the best. Why? The service! I've seriously never experienced anything like it!

Pu, the owner, is one of the friendliest and most accommodating people ever. She is always at the hostel going above and beyond, including directional advice, setting up speakers & AC in the common room, knowing every guest's name, learning about your travels, uploading sweet and sincere photos of guests to their facebook, and putting you to bed when you've had too much to drink (not even kidding!).

The location is right next to the Phrong Phoem BTS and so close to hip and fun areas. There's also a 711, English book store, and massive mall right down the street. The restaurant is delicious and the coffee drinks/smoothies are even better. The rooms are clean and efficient, with outlets and a night lamp on the wall next to each bunk. They have soap and shampoo that you can use too.

If you want a hostel that feels like home - this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our party stayed at 1yolo on and off for a period of about two weeks we were walking along sukhumvit road looking for accommodation after a disappointing stay at the Nasa Vegas hotel and we decided to stop for something to eat we got chatting to Sudawan and Pu about local hostels and guest houses and she gave us hand typed notes with local attractions and a BTS map of Bangkok. They have great advice throughout our stay for the best/cheapest local transport local food and delicacies (Sudawan and Pu taught us how to eat mangosteen) even providing further information for our travel across south east Asia. On top of this the food in the restaurant is great with Thai favourites and everything from classic US club sandwiches through to virtually every continent (the best Thai curry I ate anywhere in Thailand with completely fresh ingredients and chilli quantities tailored to taste) I had some misfortune during my time in Bangkok and regrettably lost my passport the 1yolo staff were instantly at hand calling all the bars I had visited, the police stations and the British embassy before writing two notes in Thai (one for the taxi driver to take me to the nearest police station and one for the policeman that interviewed me explaining in full what had happened) when I arrived back at 1yolo they had researched the process for an emergency passport application and offered to print all the required forms free of charge. I found the rooms and communal areas exceedingly clean (fresh sheets everyday and communal areas and bathrooms cleaned once or twice throughout the day) free shampoo and shower gel air con in every room and lockers too. I will miss all the staff at 1yolo and I would both recommend the hostel & restaurant and I have promised to go back in the future. I can tell the staff enjoy what they do and they are extremely good at it I have already recommended 1yolo to everyone I have met in Cambodia who is heading for Thailand I cannot praise them enough thank you for a great stay our experience in Bangkok simply wouldn't have been the same without a stay at 1yolo.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends