“Good value no frills hotel”

Red Planet Asoke, Bangkok
Ranked #161 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Good value no frills hotel”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've stayed at many Bangkok hotels over the years and wanted to try this on my most recent visit. I arrived at the hotel at noon hoping to check-in however was promptly reminded that check-in starts at 2 pm hence had to walk around a bit till the official check-in time.

Check-in was smooth. Room was very clean and bright however as reported by others there is very limited space in the room (the double bed fills up the bulk of the space) for large bags. Mine was an overnight trip hence I just had a small carry-on with me hence no issue. Toilet and shower area was of adequate size hence no issue. Not much space nor hangers for hanging clothes. No phone, minibar, kettle, cups in room. Again no issue for me as all I need is a clean. comfortable bed in quiet surroundings. This is after all a no frills hotel. Security/room access is good and lift/room entry is via card key.

It is good value for money if one isn't looking for the usual 4 or 5 star essentials. Access to the hotel from Asoke BTS is about 100m and the hotel is located in a quiet soi with lots of greenery and hardly any vehicular traffic - which is a pleasant surprise considering busy Sukhumvit Road is barely 100m away. It is easy walking distance to Terminal 21, restaurants, etc. lining both sides of Sukhumvit Road. There is a Baht 50 charge for storage of bags after the 11 am check-out. Free wifi access was very good in the room and lobby area.

Reception folks were generally polite and helpful. US$35/night all-in is a definite plus even without early check-in!

Room Tip: My room was on second floor. All are non-smoking rooms and no issue with road or traffic noise due t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank gtp-op75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Arabic first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We booked: Twin Room
Add on: Cosy Package, Luggage storage

Honestly, I have nohing to complain about. I think people need to realize that they are booking a budget hotel and I highly suggest doing some research beforehand (read some blog reviews) to know exactly what you're getting. It amazes me that people are shocked to find there are no amenities.

1) Low price
- Even after the add ons, it was still relatively cheap to stay at Tune Hotel Bangkok

2) Great location
- Just 5 minutes walk from the famous Terminal 21 shopping mall
- Just 5 minutes walk to Asok station
- Located off the main road in a pretty quiet side lane, so we had no problems at all with noise

3) Rooms
- Super clean
- Room was actually a good size. Not too cramped at all. My friend and I each had a single bed in our Twin Room and it was very, very comfy.
- The bathroom was also very clean

4) Reception
- Helpful. Knowledgeable about tourist spots.
- Had a funny webcam tv we could take pictures on and email to ourselves haha

For the price we paid, it was definitely worth it. I will surely be booking this place again during my next Bangkok trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TouristEyes
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I booked directly through the hotel's website, eschewing the Cosy Package, planning to buy it on arrival if I felt it was necessary. That plan fell flat however, since you can't buy it after arrival! For my five day stay, I paid more for aircon and WiFi than the total cost of the Cosy Package which would have included those two items, plus TV and the towels/toiletries package - pre buy is best. Putting all this into perspective however, the Cosy Package was 370 Baht and I paid a total of 540 across the five days, so either way we're not talking Sheep Stations!

I also found after booking that hotels2thailand had a cheaper rate than I paid direct but which included the Cosy Package.

As far as the hotel itself, it certainly lived up to my experience of other Tune properties... clean room with new fixtures, great bed and shower. And the location was absolutely top notch. While you may criticise the location down the Soi (alley), it afforded the hotel a feeling of quiet and peace despite it's absolutely central location just off one of the busiest intersections in Bangkok. At the junction of two train lines, getting around the city was an absolute breeze.

Would I stay here again? Without question!

And as a final tip, if you're looking for some great value dim sum, the Canton House in the nearby Terminal 21 shopping centre was an absolute find! At 20 Baht per dish, I ate my fill for about AUD 2.00 a meal! A great restaurant, with great food at an amazing price. Can't ask for more than that!

Room Tip: Pre-book the cosy package for the best value A/C and WiFi... it's not available over the counte...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Before deciding on this hotel, one must know that it's a budget hotel and everything you need or you don't need counts for your money. Either you pay more to suit your needs or you save more to exclude amenities you don't need. This is the beauty of a budget hotel.

If you do not need air con/towel/tv/wifi etc, you can try booking directly from tune hotel website. That allows you to exclude anything you don't need and save your money.

I was satisfied with the hotel.
- Room size as expected, small, OK for small luggage, quite difficult for large ones.
- Staff were nice.
- Good security: lift needed to be activated by room key card; there's a safe inside the room (for free)
- Free hair dryer, very happy.
- Stayed on 6th floor, good natural light, quiet
- Room very clean, toilet clean but to be picky, there's yellow water stain in-between some tiles.
- Checkout process super quick
- If you've ordered extra amenities, e.g., towels, tv, they would give you the remote control and towels during check-in and you need to take back to the counter yourself during checkout. A bit weird but instruction clear.
- Be noted that one wifi account can only be used by one device per room per 24 hours. For example, I and my partner stayed for two nights, only two accounts were provided so that either you and your partner use them simultaneously or you yourself use for both days.
- No smoking for the whole building or you would be fined. I saw two men got fined coz they smoked in their room. I didn't know how the staff ensured they smoked though.
- The hotel is in an alley, there's a sign on the main road leading to it. To me it's not difficult to find but to somebody it may. Took taxi two times to got back to hotel and no problem for the taxi drivers, we just showed the hotel name card to the drivers, no difficulty and they would take you to the hotel door, not just drop you on the main road.
- Alley seemed to be quiet at night yet should be safe, there're security guards for other buildings along the alley. You may be scared by suddenly ran out cats though.
- Very near to the BTS station.
- Cheap food at Terminal 21 Pier 21 on Level 5. 30 Bahts for a chicken rice with chicken broth. Good deal. Some more choices for sure. Didn't expect to find such cheap food inside a mall.
- 7-11 not far away but not near either, it's across the bridge. You can find food stalls just in front of 7-11 at night so you can enjoy street food there instead of always those in the malls.
- There's a restaurant just at the beginning of the alley by the main road. Very full at dinner time. Local food you can enjoy near the hotel.
- You can also order food from the hotel which would directly be delivered to your room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FionaChan
Singapore
Reviewed October 7, 2013

1. Poor service from hotel staff. From my experience, hotel staff are supposed to look for metered taxis for tourists. Yet, this hotel staff said, yes we could find a taxi for you but its 700THB.

2. There is no refrigerator, no water, no iron.

3. Check in time is 2PM and check out time is 11AM. And if you leave your luggage at the hotel, you are CHARGED 50THB per luggage. How does this make sense at all?

4. At 1050AM there will be an alarm like sound chasing you out of the room. If by 11AM, you are not out, the electricity will be cut off.

5. Room make up service is only once every 2 days.

6.Tune hotel is near Terminal 21 but please bear in mind that you need to walk. The location is not anywhere as fantastic as I thought it would be. The nearest 7-11 is 10-15 minutes walk away. Amenities can be bought at the hotel.

To conclude, yes this hotel is a budget hotel. But in Bangkok, for this price, we can get much more that a tiny room with terrible, rigid and ridiculous rules that we have to adhere to. I was there on 3rd Oct- 6th Oct and will be there again this week 11th-13th Oct. What a nightmare!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HM_TuneAsoke, Manager at Red Planet Asoke, Bangkok, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Carmenort,
Thanks for your post about how hotel and I see it is your first review ever, so it is unfortunate our concept did not meet your expectations.

Let me go through your points below and hopefully you can learn some more about who we are and how we operate our hotels.

1. Unfortunately we can't negotiate on your behalf the fares that taxi drivers want to charge who park outside of our hotel. They are not employees of the hotel. You did not say here where you wanted to go, but a taxi outside of our hotel definitely would not charge you 700 baht for a trip around the inner city. It is definitely best to walk the 100 metres or so up the soi to Sukhumvit Road and hail a taxi from there and demand they put the metre on so you pay a fair fare.

2. None of the 30 Tune Hotels around the world provide these services, that is why we are able to keep our rates so competitive. Drinking water and other beverages are available at reasonable prices in the hotel lobby. There is also a supermarket in Terminal 21(two minutes walk away) with prices for beverages and food items much lower than any 7-11 in Bangkok.

3. Most hotels around the world have standard check-in and check-out times and we are no different. These times allow us to clean up the room and prepare it for the next satisfied customer. We are no different. All Tune Hotels around the world do not provide concierge services and this allows us to keep our rates so competitive.

4. As mentioned we have a check-out time that is standard in Tune Hotels around the world. Should any guests would like to extend their check out time this can be arranged for a small fee.

5. Additional make up or cleaning services are undertaken upon request at no cost. All you had to do was ask.

6. I'm sorry you don't think our location, which is just two minutes walk away from Terminal 21, the main thoroughfare of Sukhumvit Road and access to the overground and underground train services is excellent. Your feedback on this subject is at odds with other feedback we have had on our excellent location.

To conclude, we thank you for your comments, but must say they are a little different to other feedback we have had from guests who buy into our concept and understand that we are able to keep our rates as competitive as we do with our business model.

Regards,
Vicky - Hotel Manager
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed for a few nights in total either side of trips to other parts of Thailand.

Hotel Services:
- Don't expect 5 star services but this beats expectation in terms of value
- Staff all extremely polite and friendly
- Amenities basic (no fridge, no kettle but a large plasma, ceiling fan and great air con) but rooms are very clean and an excellent bed (hard mattress which is what I like)
- No towels/toiletries unless you pay extra but on both occasions I stayed, I booked early so all inclusive
- Excellent shower
- WIFI: excellent signal throughout my stay, simple logon procedure

Location:
- Excellent: just around the corner from Asok (BTS station) which is linked to Sukhumvit MRT station. Asok is also linked by walkway to the Terminal 21 shopping mall (great food and very cheap prices on Level 5)

Would I stay again? Yes, if you are not fussed about having a swimming pool or admiring the beauty and architecture of a 5star hotel but just want a place to have a good night's sleep with great location and transport links, then stay here.

TIPS:
- Book early to get the free wifi, TV remote (otherwise you stay on BBC News and can't control the sound!), air con, towels and toiletries.

- Stayed on floors 4 and 5 and had no problem with noise (did ask to change rooms, think 502/503 as a very strong smell of cigarette smoke - no smoking allowed but clearly a previous guest did and the smell was still lingering - changed rooms with zero hassle)

- Getting There: I did this on the cheap from Suvarnabhumi Airport - Take the SA City Line (note SA Express was never available on the 4 occasions I took this route in the past few weeks). Go to Level B1 at the airport, buy a ticket to Makkasan (35 Baht) - takes around 25mins. Get off and walk to Phetchaburi Station (should be to your right when you come out of Makkasan) via the covered walkway. You will pass through scanners (as at all stations and shopping malls) and you will have to open your luggage (then just stick a torch light but don't rummage through). Buy a ticket to Sukhumvit (16 Baht) which is one stop away. Once you arrive, go to Exit 3 which will take you to Asok BTS station. From here, take the escalators all the way up and walk across Asok (believe Exit 4 - you are literally crossing the road to where Soi 14 is). Take the stairs (lift wasn't working) on the right and walk down this sidewalk and it is your first left into Soi 14. Tune is about 100m down the road. Not as much hassle as you think (even lugging 20KG plus of luggage). For just over GBP 1 it's a bargain plus you do not hit the traffic which is awful.

To give a comparison, in the last 3 weeks, I took an airport limousine which cost 1300 baht to another hotel in central BKK and a normal taxi to the airport 500 baht all in (i.e. inclusive of toll fees) - both took around 1.5hrs with minimal traffic so if time is a factor (not even money) then see if any stops on the City Line is close to your hotel then take a taxi - so really up to you

Room Tip: See my main review - no issue with either floor 4 or 5 where I stayed. Room I was initially given...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mokkey8
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel and totally did not regret my decision. Location wise it was just 100m from Asoke BTS Station. Though it is in a small lane at Soi 14, but the distance in is very very walkable. Do have an umbrella if it is raining too heavily. Also, across Sukhumvit Road is Terminal 21, with lots of modern shopping and food. Also ATMs aplenty in the shopping mall as well.Hotel itself is very good and value for money given the price I paid. Less than S$50/night. Very new and clean rooms. Well managed rooms, but please not they do not have room service and they do not tidy up your rooms everyday like the normal full range hotel does. Wifi was easily avaialble in the rooms. Bed was 5 star hotel level. The location is in the middle of many of the higher priced ranged hotels. I love this hotel and will definitely stay here again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends