“Amazing place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of W Bangkok

You added W Bangkok to your Saves list
W Bangkok
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 North Sathorn Road | Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand (Silom)   |
Hotel deals
Name/address in local language
Special Offer
SPG® Member Rate
Ranked #39 of 823 Hotels in Bangkok
Vienna, Austria
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The W Bangkok gave me a typical W experience - beautiful designed rooms and amazing atmosphere. The place is completely new and is already running on full speed. Beautiful pool on the 6th floor - but the pool lacks some atmosphere, though.

The restaurant "Kitchen Table" is excellent both for breakfast and for dinner. We tried several Thai and Western choices and were amazed. A bit pricey, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for the view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fivetonine
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi fivetonine,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to see that you liked the design and style of the hotel.

I will pass your compliment to the Chef regarding the excellent of food experience you had.

We look forward to your return so that we can offer you the same experience.

Nick Heath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

During a recent stay at the W Bangkok I can say that it has everything you expect from a W hotel and wonderful Thai service. Rooms and beds were well done in typical modern W style, do not look for too much beautiful Thai Architecture if you stay here, similar to my complainant with the W on Bali. In most countries I enjoy the W features in a room it makes it feel hip but in a place like Bangkok I found them a bit over the top. Rooms do have a warmer feel then then W Hong Kong.

The only drawback is location you are near the BTS but not close by any worthwhile tourist attractions. In terms of nightlife I hope that the W as it grows will add to the Bangkok nightlife scene and the lobby bar seems that they are trying to accomplish this task, I guess I visited a bit too soon. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here but if you want Ultra Thai Luxury SPG stay at St. Regis which is two stops closer on the BTS to downtown or Royal Orchid Sheraton. if you want closer to the nightlife of the city stay at the Aloft on Sukhumwit Soi 11. Hotel was fine but not far from Silom but not in a Prime location either. Let's hope more springs up around it in the coming years as seems to happen with W's in other locations around the world.

Let's put it this way, in Bangkok you are so spoiled by the number of truly fabulous world class hotels. I used to live in Bangkok from 2002-2005 and still visit frequently so I know many of them. In most other cities I would have loved this offering from W but because it's Bangkok, I can only give it very good based on other options and the competition. Location right now is the biggest negative.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hi GoingGlobal79,

Thank you for you feedback.

We look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next stay with us at W Bangkok

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed at various SPG Hotels over the years and have usually been very happy with the service and the "creature comforts" like beds that you just don't want to get out of once you slide into them because they're so comfortable!

This hotel stacks up the same way and while it was brand new when we checked in and seemed like the front desk staff could have used a bit more systems training as it took a long time to check in once we were up in the room it was very nice. The room was very sleek, hip n trendy and we had good service from the various hotel departments.

We had the IT support person come up to our room and fix our wifi issue very quickly and professionally and we also enjoyed the tour and help of the staff in the fitness area...what an amazing gym and pool area!

The only thing that seemed a bit odd to me was when we'd came back from our night out with friends and we walked through the lobby I wasn't sure if I was walking through one of the clubs in the party district or if I was at an upscale hotel! The music from the lounge was super loud and because it shares the space with the lobby area it creates a bit of weird vibe! I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be on the floor directly above the lobby!

Again like a few postings I've read here the taxi cab drivers have no clue how to get to this hotel so I think the hotel management should reach out to the various taxi co's to help facilitate better awareness.

This was a great way to spend our last night in Thailand before heading home. Overall, satisfied and enjoyed the short stay at the W.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZedTO
Hi ZedTO,

Thank you for your comments and I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay.

We actually have done a mass campaign to taxis in the city so W Bangkok should be more familiar very soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok in the near future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I would not recommend staying here - this hotel has a long way to go if it wants to be a luxury or upscale hotel. Not only is this hotel missing the wow factor that I've experienced at other W Hotels, but be prepared for some bumps along the way. My take: spending luxury prices on a hotel that is still ironing out wrinkles and missing the wow factor is bonkers.

The Good:
Friendly concierge and great breakfast/friendly breakfast staff. Hotel is hip, but exactly as you would expect for a W. After having stayed at multiple W Hotels, I tend to agree with previous reviews by Alan L and Reggy168 that this hotel was missing the wow factor.
Close to the Sky Train

The Bad:
Check-in was mediocre, at best... rushed, no overview of the hotel, clueless staff. Could tell that this was a work in progress.
Taxi drivers DO NOT know this place

The Ugly:
I had booked a non-smoking room, however within a few minutes of settling in, I realized that the room had been smoked in. A new room was found, however finding a new room, moving and unpacking all over again wasted about an hour of my time.
The fun did not stop there!
In my second room, I experienced an even more frustrating issue. When I went to turn off the lights, the bathroom light under the sink remained on. I called the Whatever/Whenever line to explain the situation, and we were unable to turn off the light after 15 minutes of troubleshooting. So much for the hipster tablet that controlled the room lighting...
What bothered me more was that the word "sorry" was not in the Whatever/Whenever operator's vocabulary - it was an unacceptable service experience. A technician was in my room 15-20 minutes later and spent about 20-30 minutes resolving the issue.

So, to summarize, there was more ugly than good here. Glitches and poor service experience, all for a mildly hip hotel. I would not take a chance here again, would definitely stay at one of the more established hotels.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi 2_CDs,

Thank you for your comments.

I am happy to read that the Talent looked after you and made you feel welcome at the hotel.

About check-in, I will discuss with the team to ensure they offer more details when checking in guests. We are investigating some more TV Channels so watch this space.

We have now done a mass campaign to taxis in the city so W Bangkok should be more familiar.

I do hope you reconsider when you next stay in Bangkok to stay with us as we are always happy to exceed your expectations.

zeist
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Brand new hotel in the very convenient location in Bangkok; a few minutes walk to the Bangkok-Central Business Station.

- When you need to return a car to rental company(Hertz, etc), their office are just nearby.
- 200 meters near the BTS (sky train) in BangKok.

Elegant design hotel and room plus all sort of nice gadgets which make W hotel more stand out than traditional business hotel like Westin, Sherton.

It is definitely more than whatever/whenever services. The "Whatever/Whenever" team are so nice and provide useful tips for whatever u want to do in BangKok :) (Except illegal things).

In a short, great young and fashion atmosphere hotel and staffs. If you are looking for different hotel experiences from Starwood , W Bangkok is highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Qinglau
Hi Qinglau,

Thank you for your great comment.
I hope I will have a chance to look after you again later in the future.
I am proud to see that our talent is making sure that you had a wonderful experience.
We look forward to your return in the future at W Bangkok.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just awesome. Great room, most comfortable hotel bed I've ever experienced. Very friendly staff. Convenient location, just a few minutes walk to the Sky Train (a few stops to the river or other way a few stops to Silom)

Room had everything I needed, and a stroke of innovation that had the lights, air and other facilities controlled by a tablet device.

Buffet breakfast was excellent (included in my room rate so I cannot comment on value). Was here for business but would easily choose to stay at W Bangkok for personal travel. Gym had very new and modern equipment, wish I was able to stay longer to make use of it and all the other facilities (pool).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi Cymbolz,

Thank you for your positive feedback.
I am glad that you had a great time during your stayed.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay at W Bangkok.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Read the reviews about poor service. They were overly polite. The staff are terrible. Completely clueless. Too many staff doing absolutely nothing effectively hiding from guests. The location is excellent and faculties as you would expect. For goodness sake teach the staff!!! Asian service is rarely top notch but this was truly bad

• Stayed May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi PommyPaul,

I am surprised that you feel the Talent is not up to standard as most comments are commenting on the efficiency and friendliness of the Talent at the hotel.

It sounds like you did not enjoy your stay and would love to hear more about it to make me understand where you feel the Talent need more training. I can be emailed on pr.wbangkok@hotels.com.