“It WOWs for me”

Ranked #41 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Hong Kong
“It WOWs for me”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is the first time I stayed in a W. The comments in trip advisor seem to be falling to the extremes. Some say it is very W while the others say it is over rated. After staying there for three nights, I think this phenomenon is normal for a hotel with such a distinct character. So, like it or not, it really depends your taste.

Firstly are some factual factors which should not be controversial. The W Bangkok is located just three minutes on foot from the BTS Chong Nosi Station which can bring you to the major tourist spots in minutes. This proximity is important as W is sitting On the busy Sathon Road where it may not be easy to catch a taxi. The view from rooms on the side facing the opposite Sathon Square would be quite limited. On the contrary, the views from those corner rooms and the rooms facing the west would be much open. The hotel accommodates all what you can expect from an urban Thai hotel: bar, restaurant, fitness centre, swimming pool, spa and conference facilities. The ambience is hip and chic with a harmonious mix of modern and Thai elements. The pink W logo can catch your eyes from afar. From entering through the stainless steel sliding doors, one can see cool marble and metal finishes, neon lights, Thai silk sofa and cushions, Thai icons and motifs that altogether create an impression of a trendy venue.

Back to some relatively more personal comments:
• The lift is reacting quite slowly. the door opens a bit long after the floor indicator has 'ding-ed'.
• The room is not big but reasonably spacious. The glass / curtain partitions of the bathroom should have played a major role in enhancing spatial openness. This can be a romantic design for couples but an embarrassing detail for other combinations.
• The sofa, quite good in shape, occupies quite some space near the bed. This makes the circulation a bit inconvenient.
• The stainless steel framed glass long desk looks light. However, the metal part of it did conduct electricity that I was shocked once while I was using the desk top socket to charge my iPhone.
• As quite a common comment here, the basin tap is surely too tall that the water inevitably splashes out and it is great to know that the management is arranging to change this fitment.
• The rain shower offers very good shower experience for the water pressure is really good. It always recalls me the experience during Songkran when the firemen splashed water on me with their jet nozzle.
• The toiletries are from the Bliss and whether you like it or not, is personal, particularly the scent. To me, it is refreshing. The beddings are clean and comfortable.
• A tablet is provided for controlling lighting, air-conditioning, messages, alarm clock, etc. It is easy to use and it would be nice if the curtain and TV can also be controlled by this tablet.
• The wine and snack mini-bar is well stocked although I don't use to consume the items.
• The save box is housed inside a drawer in the wardrobe. A LED bulb is wisely installed to light up the box when opened.
• Wifi is included in the room rate and the speed is good.

Having said the above minor comments, the overall comfort is not discounted. After all, I am the kind of people who would sacrifice a bit on practicality for appearance and ambience. Or one may say I am one of the groups W is targeting.

The only restaurant in the hotel is on the second floor. The decor is consistently hip, with lots of art installation. The seating density is a bit high that customers are really sitting closely. The booth seat would be a better choice for more privacy. On a sunny day, it would be nice to sit outdoor. I have breakfast buffet during my stay. The first day is a Friday morning when there were less customers. The services and food quality did not drop on the next two mornings when the customers influx is much higher. Only comment is it becomes a bit crowded then. The food variety and quality are good, but not the best amongst other Bangkok counterparts. However, the presentation is good that enhanced my appetite. Amongst the food, I found the bread and smoked salmon are particularly my cup of tea. I also like the coffee very much. It is nice to find that when adding milk into the black coffee, not a tiny piece of floating milk solid appear which means that the cup is very thoroughly cleaned without remains of detergent.

The fitness centre is on the sixth floor. There are three tread mills, some step machines, weight machines and stacks of dumb bells. The tread mills are equipped with a big screen for TV, web browsing and games, and of course with connection to your own iPhone. The swimming pool is the most interesting one I have seen in a hotel. The sculptural shape of the pool side wall tactfully accommodates an upper deck which adds three-dimensional interest to the in fact quite a small pool. The location of the pool should have guaranteed sufficient sunshine most of the day at most of the year, provided that the sun comes out.

Apart from the hardware, the services is generally warm and good. Most of the staff wear a true friendly smile and are eager to help while never being too over enthusiastic. Only one thing to improve is the valet staff are too keen chit-chatting amongst themselves that I was never attended when passing by the entrance (including the time I was arriving with my luggage) except when I was asking for a taxi to the airport by the time I was leaving.

The W Bangkok is not achieving high score in all aspects. But it leaves a good impression in my mind that I am seriously thinking of a return (that is really rare for me who is addicted to trying new hotel in Bangkok). I still cannot define whether it is W enough, but it is WOW for me.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have better view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank yhpian
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi yhpian,

I am glad to see that you enjoyed the design and ambiance of the hotel.

I will look into all of your comments as all feedback can only help us improve our services. The smallest room we have is 41sq/m which is larger than average in Thailand and much larger than that of Europe. I will investigate the lift but I am happy that you enjoyed a good shower and a great breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok in the near future.

Nick Heath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Gurgaon, India
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Good Hotel Good location ambience rooms ,Crowd and proximity to Metro and Ford Office.
40 min drive from airport.
nice pick up car Merc s class with wifi connectivity inside the car.one of exp for me.....real good fun with business

Room Tip: choose room as per your liking ...may be room facing on the front side willl give ggod view and on h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Hi RahulGurgaon_India,

Thank you for trying out W Bangkok.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed there in mid-Jan 2013.

The moment I walked towards their entrance, the exterior impressed me. The Lobby impressed me even more. The deco is generally for the younger group: grey glass, neutral with some patches of purple.

The room? please see my pics here.

Room Tip: It's primarily for couples or honey-mooners. Because there is no partition between the room &am...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi chicmec,

I am glad you were impressed. We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok in the near future.

Tokyo, Japan

(日本語は英文後)

We stayed at the W Bangkok for three nights, right after its opening in January 2013. (Apologies for the late review)

We have been to the bars at the W hotels in New York and Los Angeles but it was our first time to actually stay at a W hotel.

The Bangkok W was equally as cool as the NY and LA W. It was easy to forget you were in Asia, especially at its bar and poolside. The place has a very futuristic mood.

However, if you book a room there imagining the hotel will have the typical feel or ambience of the other five star hotels in Bangkok, you might be disappointed; you won't find many ordinary markers of the other luxury hotels in Bangkok, like authentic Thai silk cushion covers, ethnic teak furniture, and orchids in this hotel. What you will experience here instead is a modern and futuristic theme. (That said, you should also note that though it looks non-Thai at first glance, it is very fun to look for the "hidden" Thai accents throughout the hotel, such as the oversized and decorated Muay Thai boxing gloves in the room, or the elaborate mural at the entrance of their restaurant and their gym.)

We should note that unlike many of the old hotels that are riverside and therefore somewhat inaccessible to the rest of the city, the W Bangkok is right next to the Chong Nonsi BTS station (Bangkok's light rail system), which made it really easy to get around. It's also very easy to have the hotel staff grab a cab for you too.

We had breakfast everyday at the W restaurant and dinner one night. We are very picky gourmets, but at breakfast, their fresh fruit, baked goods, and cheese for breakfast met our satisfaction.

The restaurant mood completely changes for the dinner time to a cool atmosphere with mood lighting. Both the Thai and western food (great steaks and wine!) was high quality and from the appetizers to the dessert, the presentation was sophisticated.

You also don't want to miss the utensils, dishes, and tableware that the GM has personally collected from all over the world to fit the W Bangkok - they are very, very special and amazing. You will be surprised the good taste of the GM but at the same time, it helps you understand why the W Bangkok maintains its coolness. We really did enjoy our time at the restaurant.

Do visit the bar while you are there too. Their cucumber gin & tonic (with Hendrick's gin) was the best we'd ever had - we liked it so much that we bought the same gin at the airport on our departure! (There is also a bar up next to the pool that is a fun place to hang out as well, and a bit quieter.)

Last but definitely not least, the hospitality of the staff was unforgettable. We have stayed in many five star hotels in Bangkok, but it was our first time to actually enjoy and feel this happy about hotel staff. We found the staff very confident and happy about working there for you and our stay was very smooth because of them. They gave us great restaurant and shopping recommendations (to places we hadn't been to, even though we have lived in Bangkok), which we felt we could trust because they were fun and cool people. We actually felt something was missing when we went to another five star hotel for high tea during our stay, which was the true smiles and heartfelt hospitality we had gotten used to at the W Bangkok.

We will definitely stay at the W Bangkok again when we visit Thailand next.

-------

オープンしたての2013年1月11日から3泊、アメリカ人の主人と宿泊しました。
(投稿が遅くなって、ごめんなさい)

ホテルは、ロサンゼルスやニューヨークのバーを利用したことはありましたが、宿泊は今回が初めて。バンコクのWホテルも、ロサンゼルス、ニューヨークに負けないくらいのカッコよさ。特にバーやプールサイドは、アジアにいることを忘れるくらい、モダンでクールな雰囲気でした。

ただ、バンコクにある他の5スターホテルを想像して行くとギャップを感じるかもしれません。というのも、このホテルには他のホテルにあるような、いかにもタイに来た!と思わせるタイシルク、エスニックなインテリアなどは一切ないから。あくまでも近代的、未来的、クールでかっこいい!がホテル全体のテーマになっています。

でも、その一見クールでファッショナブルな雰囲気の中に、実はタイならではの要素が散りばめられていて、それを探し、見つけるのが楽しい!です。(ベッドカバー、ジムやレストラン入口壁面など)

レストランは朝食とディナーで利用しました。
朝食は、フレッシュなフルーツや、おいしいパンやチーズ。食べ物にはうるさい我々夫婦も毎朝とても満足でした。また、ディナーは朝食の明るい雰囲気が一気に変わり、大人な雰囲気に。タイ料理もウェスタンもとてもクオリティが高く、前菜からメイン、デザート、ワインに至るまでハイレベル。 また、ホテルのジェネラルマネージャーによって世界中から集められたこだわりの食器やユーテンシル、テーブルオーナメントは完璧に調和し、食べ物だけではない楽しみも与えてくれました。彼の美的感覚が我々夫婦にぴったりとはまり、素晴らしい世界観をエンジョイできました。

バーも滞在中は是非試してみてください。
特にキューカンバージントニックは最高。あまりの美味しさに、帰りの空港で同じジンを買って帰ってしまったほど。

最後になりましたが、忘れてはいけないのが、スタッフのサービスの良さ。
タイの5スターホテルは宿泊、レストランと数多く利用していますが、ここまで気持ちの良いサービスをしてくれるスタッフは初めて。Wホテルのスタッフからは、「Wホテルで働けて嬉しい!」という誇りをひしひしと感じ、常に心地よいサービスを体験できました。
Wホテルのコンシェルジェの対応の良さや、Wホテルのレストランスタッフの笑顔に慣れてしまったおかげで、他の5スターホテルでお茶をした時に完全に物足りなさ以上の不満さえ覚えたほどでした。

タイは20年来家族で通い続けている国。今までのお気に入りホテルもありましたが、結婚した今は、完全にWホテルがナンバー1です。またタイに行く際はBTSにも近い、Wホテルを必ず選択します。

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hi Adams8382,

Thanks for the great comments.

I cannot take all the credit as I have a great team who sourced and managed to get everything so that guests will say exactly what you have just shared.

We look forward to welcoming you back as we now have more features and designs added to the hotel since your last stay.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

A fantastic hotel if you like a very modern style of hotel. I loved the hotel, the service is very good, incredibly attentive and the food excellent. The bar is very trendy and full of the beautiful young people of Bangkok. Rooms are very comfortable, no door on the toilet was a bit of a surprise however!! Location excellent, less than 5 mins walk to the skytrain. Great hotel if you want something a little unusual but with plenty of luxury.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi JoRockwood,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am glad to see that you found the hotel to your liking. The room you stayed in was a Spectacular room where we only have 106 rooms of this category out of 407. All other rooms do have doors to the toilet.

It is great to see that the Talent looked after you.

We look forward to your next visit to W Bangkok.

Kabul
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I visited several hotels in Bangkok and the W was by far the best. As is expected with W hotels, there was a lively atmosphere, friendly and attentive staff, and top of the line facilities. Located near the Sky Train and the water taxi station, it is easy to get around town from the W, however it is not in the central tourist district, so keep that in mind if you do decide to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Jordan S,

I am happy to read that the Talent looked after you and made you feel welcome at the hotel.

You are always welcome back and we look forward to offering you some more of our Whatever/ Whenever Service culture.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Even though the hotel was only 3 months old, it seemed to run pretty smoothly. The location of the hotel is great - right next to a BTS station, and a short walk away from Health Land (massage parlor).

All the staff were very friendly. Check in was hassle free even though my booking was under someone else's name who was arriving later.

First impressions are great - although the design of the room may not be to everyone's liking. The bathroom is very dark with its black tiles. I like my bathroom to be well lit. There were a few design flaws, such as shower door not closing fully and tap at the basin too high, such that whenever i used it, it would splash onto my pants. Little things like this made me realise, something was just not quite right. Most annoying was the translucent glass door to the bathroom and to the toilet and shower doors. Even with both translucent doors shut, you could still see whoever was using the toilet or shower. Perhaps ok for couples, but not ok when you can see your mum in the toilet! Just a little too cool for school!

The bed was very comfortable as expected of a W Hotel. No issue with noise at all.

The breakfast buffet was included in our corporate room rate. I thought the breakfast was quite average. It lacked variety for a hotel at this price range, and the actual quality wasn't that great - items were either too salty (like the papaya salad), or had no flavor. The pastries were not fresh.

Despite some of these negatives, I would still recommend this hotel to certain friends as the positives definitely outweighed the negatives.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hi Stan Y,

Yes we are 3 months old and we are always happy for reviews as it allows us to see where we can improve such as the taps in the bedrooms where we are changing the nozzle to make sure we don’t splash guest’s pants or skirts.

The breakfast I am surprised you did not find enough variety as it has 5 long stations with both Western & Asian foods to pick from. I will discuss with the chef regarding the dishes you mentioned.

We look forward to your next stay at W Bangkok where we will endeavor to exceed your expectations.