“Outstanding, brand-new hotel!”
Review of W Bangkok

W Bangkok
Ranked #23 of 890 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My experience started way before my arrival at the hotel. I actually pre-booked my stay some months in advance, even before the hotel opened its doors, as I was really keen to try this potentially amazing hotel. At the end, it did not disappoint me at all…

After a bit of a struggle for the taxi driver to drive us to the hotel, W Bangkok's entrance is actually impressive. With the beautiful refurbished Heritage Building Mansion right at the front of the entrance and a warm welcome from the W Bangkok staff, arrival couldn't be better. As our arrival in Bangkok was really early in the morning, the reception gave us a standard room so we could simply take a shower and rest for a bit. Later that day, as we didn’t hear back from the reception and we had booked a Studio Suite, I decided to call them but the staff seemed somewhat disorganized, like they didn't even know what I was talking about. I needed to leave the hotel for some hours but luckily I was approached by Nick, the hotel manager, that took care of the room exchange in a matter of minutes.

Regarding our room, we were given a big, trendy and cool suite at the 25th floor. Room seemed always spotless and the wide street view was also pretty amazing. However, to be honest, what I liked the most about the Studio Suite was actually the bathroom, specially the large shower and the gorgeous bathtub. The floor-to-ceiling window is a great detail, giving natural lightning to the bathroom during the day.

On the first evening, we had diner at the Kitchen Table, that was actually a great dinning experience. The restaurant staff was really pleasant and the food was quite good, even though I think the menu should offer a wider variety of dishes. We also tried the Woo Bar and my Mojito was top-notch!

The breakfasts I ate during my stay were simply perfect. Everything was organized, the products were always fresh and delicious, the staff was friendly and professional. They were so good, that I didn't even had lunch during those days.

Overall, W Bangkok is an outstanding hotel, with a fantastic location (2-minutes walk from Chong Nonsi BTS station). Obviously, there are still some details to improve but in my opinion, it lives up to the standards of a W hotel. In a future trip to Bangkok, this will definitely be my main choice.

Room Tip: If a Suite is still available and the rate is under your budget, upgrade your stay. It'll defini...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Francisandre
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Hi Francisandre,

Great to see that you enjoyed your stay and I was glad to run into you when I did.

We now have even more suites available like the Fantastic, Marvelous, WOW Suites and the Extreme WOW is coming online this month.

For your next stay, try out some of the other suites.

Nick Heath

Write a ReviewReviews (2,504)

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Obviously W are marketing themselves at younger people, which is fine however it does mean those travelers, particularly business travelers, looking for a more stable, luxury hotel may be underwhelmed. The most striking thing about the hotel is obviously the decor with far out colour schemes (hot pinks, shiny silver etc) and wacky furniture. I found the hotel is trying so hard to be hip they forget practicality. Then again, maybe it is a sign I am too old to stay in a hotel that is dressed up like a gypsy wedding venue. Compared against the Mandarin which is only slightly more expensive there is daylight between the two venues.

The good: Service and staff were terrific. Breakfast was first class with a couple of minor issues (see below). Room appointment was ok however it wasn't what I would call luxurious for the price point. Location for me was great.

The bad: Piped music throughout the place (of the pretentious variety as if to say, look what cool band we have found) and W Hotel adverts looped on the TVs in public ares, dark lifts, silly designs of furniture, coffee table books strewn on tables in the bar, a hot pink curtain instead of a bathroom door, silly pink boxing gloves on my bed - I could go on but it all comes back to being a try hard cool place. My room also had a used tissue from the previous guest sitting on a shelf under the TV. I left it there all week and room cleaning never touched it. It became a game for me - I wonder if they fond it today? The answer was, no. It stayed there all week and is probably still there. I wonder what else they didn't clean (or for that matter, change) - actually, I try not to think too much about that aspect.

The awkward: Whats the story with the full length mirror facing the toilet.

The minor improvements: The bacon at breakfast was the best bacon I have had at a hotel buffet. Excellent quality instead of the usual over warmed cheap stuff. I am assuming therefore that the breakfast budget was spent on this instead of buying seedless watermelon. Minor I know but we all know eating the seeded stuff is a pain in the backside. Ordering eggs at the table instead of the usual egg station is another small issue. I never know when my eggs are going to arrive so either I have to sit and wait or I get a bowl of cereal then in the middle of eating that, my eggs come. Do I finish my cereal and have cold eggs or eat the eggs and go back to the now soggy cereal. I started asking how long will they take this morning. Unfortunately the wait staff had no idea. For the record, shortest wait was 5 min and longest was 15 min (my colleague had a 20 min wait one morning). At least with the tried and trusted egg station I can manage the timing of hot food easier. Also, ditch the silly salt and pepper dispensors that no-one knows how to use until they have been instructed by a waitress. In fact these alone to me typify this hotel. They would rather have something that a twentysomething may perceive to be cool or attractive but the item is not practical or for that matter even luxurious (like they were bought from Ikea). Again, silly to even write about this but why even try to make guests look foolish for trying to work out their funky looking salt/pepper shakers?

Before I finish up, the gym - this is also a try hard area. Yes they have a gym but with only three treadmills and limited free weights it isn't for those who are serious about keeping fit. The pin loaded machines were good but in terms of overall quality for a major hotel the gym was quite poor. Hint - get some more dumbells beyond tissue weight, invest in a smith machine, ditch the boxing bag which no one uses and put in a couple more treadmills. Whilst I think of it, the floor where the dumbells are kept is wood, therefore it has been dented and damaged by weights getting dropped. Again, this isn't brain surgery. Some designer thought a wood floor would be great but no one thought of the practicalities so they are left with a new, but heavily dented floor. Another typical illustration of the design silliness exhibited throughout this hotel. I didn't use the pool but could see it from the gym. It was small and not that practical.

Personally, although the staff were great and food was good, it is pretty obvious that this hotel is marketing itself at a demographic that doesn't include me. I won't stay there again unless it is necessary or unless for some reason I become a sugar daddy to a 21yo model girlfriend who digs such things. If so, I am going to bring my own salt and pepper (in little easy to open sachets).

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the Mandarin Oriental wing.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Hi travel_dodger,

Thank you for your comments and being honest saying this might not be the hotel you would normally use but I am glad you did. W Hotels Worldwide are always focusing on what’s new/ next for hospitality but still remaining a luxury hotel brand. We are a global designed lifestyle contemporary hotel that is renowned for its design in both fixed and soft furnishings.

I have noted all your points and will discuss with my teams but it does come to a personal opinion as we have large amounts of positive responses on the design of the building. I am happy to see that you found the Talent great and I will be sure to pass on your compliments.

If you do decide to try out a W Hotel, hopefully it will be W Bangkok again.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Spent my Good Friday’s weekend at the W Bangkok. To avoid the traffic during rush hour, I took the BTS. Once exit from the Sathron Building, the concierge noticed me and walked quickly to receive me. He greeted me, helped with my luggage and escorted me to the lobby. That was my first impression of the hotel; excellent service.

The hotel is ultra modern, chic, trendy with elements of Thai. It’s a beacon of splendor in majestic Bangkok. The décor and furnishings of the hotel are all of excellent quality. The Wow’s factors definitely exist.

The front office lady assisted with my check-in. She has a very pleasant personality& speaks excellent English. Check-in was seamless and she looked into details of my booking like higher floor. My room was upgraded to a marvelous suite (thanks).

The suite room was fabulous and tastefully appointed with modern amenities. The elegant sitting area was separated from the spacious bedroom. The W’s signature bed need not to say was super comfortable. The open concept bathroom must be the most spacious in town. W hotel provides upscale bliss toiletries and I just loved the powerful rain shower.

The trendy bar next to the lobby; Wood bar must be the latest happening in Bangkok City. The only restaurant at the moment; the Kitchen Table has a good selection of food for breakfast.

The only down side is the swimming pool, which is a bit too small for a 400+ rooms hotel. Some of the facilities like the Spa, sauna and the heritage building are not ready yet.

I will certainly returns to the W Hotel in my future visit Bangkok.

Room Tip: Higher Floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Huat88

Hi Huat88,

Thank you for your great review.

I am proud to see that our Talent is very engaged and making sure that you had a great experience.

The AWAY Spa will open on 10th April so when you next return, try it out as it is definitely a Spa not to be missed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed there in early JAN 2013. The hotel was just opened for few months, so not all the room are ready. As SPG, I got upgrade to a Spectacular room. Check in was good and they offer us a welcome drink coupon at the lobby bar. The room is divided by two part. One is toilet with bathtub and one is open plan bed with coffee table and a working desk facing to the long window. Basically it's similar to the modern W room but if you look closely to the fixtures, walls, and interior design. They are not fine finish products. There is a problem with the sink because the water will splash out. Also the water will get stuck in the shower, eventually the water will take over the toilet floor. They must solve this issue.

The best thing in the room is the KING bed. Very comfortable!

The worse thing was the breakfast. The orange juice, carrot juice and pineapple juices are from concentrate with lot of sugar. You can order the egg style of your choice but it's like a mini eggs. The rest of the buffet food are just ok, nothing can impress me. They put the water bottle next to the juice bar area. So I went to get two water to my table and the staff came to warn me, Sir the water is not included with the breakfast. She made me very uncomfortable and treat it like I steal the water. But if the water is not include, why you put all the water next to the juice bottle at the buffet bar? That's stupid layout and setting.

The pool is small and not enough chairs at the pool area. At night it's quite interesting because there are some colourful lighting flashing inside the pool. The gym is good enough for a short trip. The staff are friendly and helpful though. They told me there will be a few level duplex Suites opens end of this year just outside the lobby.

One thing I found out previously this hotel location was a morgue.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Chun W,

We have made a few changes since you stayed in January when we were only open for 3 weeks. We have looked into the sinks in the Spectacular room and we have changed the faucet to stop the splashing. We have also amended our breakfast buffet and if you read other reviews you can see we have gotten definitely gotten better to where it is a highlight for people when staying.

I am glad you like the bed as it is one of the most important factors for a hotel. Hopefully when you are next in Bangkok you will come stay with us and see the differences.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I'm just...Speechless, came to stay from the 30th of March to the 2nd of April, on the first day our hopes of having a good holiday at W Bangkok were slightly dampened when we found out our rooms were not ready, but the staff was very helpful and bought our mood back to 'Excellent'. The first night was amazing, the were 30 TV channels including HBO and Fox Sports, there was a very delightful welcoming pineapple juice and green apples. The tablet was also very good, there was also approx. 6 bottles of water in the rooms, the valet people are very helpful as well, we found out when you take a taxi that the valet call, the taxi can not rip you off. On the second day we ate the dinner at W Bangkok, it had a delightful aroma and was a truly Wow Dinner, it was obvious the chefs took cooking seriously, the location was also very good because nearby there was BTS station with escalators that do not work on weekends, there was also a business building nearby with a good curry shop called ' CocoIchibanya' and a coffee shop called ' DEAN &DELUCA, so the location was amazing, the gym was good and there were also little screens installed into the machines were you could play games or listen to music, it was amazing, on the third day we did not do much in the hotel, but on the fourth day....... WOW, the breakfast was amazing with freshly churned butter, chocolate milk, juice, chicken broth and sausages, the scrambled eggs were also truly amazing, sadly we left on the same day, it was truly a Wow Experience!!!!!!

Room Tip: Get rooms on the 9th floor, the service is amazing compared to the 18th floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank chin2715
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Hi chin2715,

It is great to see that we have converted you into a W Bangkok fan.

We look forward to welcoming you back so you can see what is new/ next at W Bangkok.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel is still new and not everything is fully ready yet (I think June/July 2013 is when it will be "compelte). Location is right around the corner from a Sky Train station (BTS) and anyone that knows Bangkok knows that the Sky Train is the best way to travel in the core area.

The staff was friendly and service was good. My rate included breakfast and I would say that it was a little too crowded in the eating area to be that nice and it was quite hot there depending on where you were sitting and how much sun was coming in. The food itself was good and very varied. Service was topnotch and attentive.

The room itself was a little too much on the side of "style" and not enough function. The sink is poorly designed, if you run the tap you will get splashed by a lot of water because of the angle and there are not many flat surfaces along the side of the sink so anything you place on the edge risks falling. There is a privacy curtain for the bathrom but unfortunately it kept getting caught in the door to the room. The iron and ironing board were in the closet near the front of the room, but I couldn't find a plug there and needed to set up towards the back of the room. If this is a family trip (was not for me) watch out as the shower is transparent. You can close it off, but the glass wall for the bath is tinted glass and you can still see through it and you cannot close that area off for privacy.

Staff was helpful. The bar area was busy and service thee was good.

I certainly liked my experience there and I bet that it is even better once everything all settles in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hi MyrdinPotter,

Thank you for your positive comments.

I will look into the basin as we are changing the faucet to reduce the splash which you experienced. The Talent is definitely the number one asset of the hotel so thank you for passing on your praise.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Staff needs training. Took 10 minutes to check in. Restaurant staff slow and English under par. Rooms nice, great bed. No slippers (I've yet to come across a 5 star without...). Woo Bar is great and run well. Business center totally under par, no staff, printer not working (the loud party next door got all attention).
Will give them another chance in a bit, past the soft opening. Although have to say that in the Starwood chain, when looking at price/quality and location (for me) the Plaza Athenee is MUCH better. Plus W does not have a lounge for the SPG members.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Hi Wimster,

I will look into your check-in as you are right we aim to be faster and our Wired services on the 3rd floor. Great to see that you liked the bar and I will pass on your positive feedback to the team.

As a standard, all luxury hotels under Starwood (W, St Regis and The Luxury Collection) do not have lounges as the entire hotel is your lounge and at W Hotels, we try to offer you personalized service with our Whatever/ Whenever Service Culture.

We look forward to having you come back and trying us again.