“Great Service”
Review of W Bangkok

W Bangkok
Ranked #30 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I had stayed there for 5 nights. I could spend wonderful time in this hotel.
Facilities are new since this hotel is new. I spend most of time in pool. Staff members there are really nice, kind and friendly. I really enjoyed staying there. Thanks for taking care of me. Even they memorized my name!

Rooms are really trendy. But some people might not like since there is no door between bed room and bathroom. However, I think this design is sort of hotel's concepts such as open spaces. I like it, though!

Breakfast is also nice. There are many fruits. I especially liked to have mango. There is a pizza. That taste was really good as well.

The location of this hotel is very convenient since the sky train station is very close.

Anyway I really appreciate this hotel and thanks for providing great services to me! I will choose to stay in this hotel next time as well. See ya next time!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Yoshi T
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Hi Tsu_Ka,

Thank you for your positive comments and it is great to hear you had such an enjoyable stay.

Our Whatever/ Whenever Service culture goes into the restaurant as well so we can try meet all your needs.

We look forward to seeing you back at W Bangkok,

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel was very nice, clean, and trendy. On par with other W Hotels.
The service was fantastic.
My favorite thing was the breakfast buffet! Worth every penny! Large variety and they walk around with other food options brought to your table.
The pool is peaceful.
Staff very friendly.
The location is ok. It is near a train station, but you really can't walk anywhere other than the train station. Since it is a new hotel, many cab's DO NOT KNOW where it is. Take a map with you every cab you get into!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank deborahanne312

Hi deborahanne312,

It really pleases me to see that you think the breakfast was a key factor in your stay and that you enjoyed it. I will be sure to pass on your comments of thanks to the Culinary and Service team of The Kitchen Table restaurant.

We have worked on a taxi campaign and the taxis are getting better but yes, it is hard and it will get better with time from the efforts of the hotel and taxi word of mouth.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We had the initial problem - even the airport limo driver was not very sure of the location of this hotel till we showed him the Google map. Otherwise, the journey from the airport to hotel was rather smooth.

We could see the hotel from a distance away once we exited the expressway and the building looked elegance.

Upon arrival, we were escorted to the check-in and the rooms were not ready (as we requested for the adjoining rooms and also the high occupancy rate during the festive season of Chinese New Year). Not so much problem as W Insider helped make our wait more comfortable by ushering us to the Woo Bar with welcome drinks and explained all the key facts on the sightseeing.

The rooms are generally very W - in time not very functional (like the curtain & water basin mentioned earlier), but it was cool with the little gadget that controlled the room settings and lights.

Breakfast at The Kitchen Table was an awesome experience with good spread of foods. The service was generally excellent.

There was no complaint on location as the hotel is near BTS.

Wifi could be improved as the connection was not stable (it was at time very slow or even lost the connection totally).

There were many friendly staffs at the front office, whenever/wherever, concierge, the Kitchen Table which made our stay a pleasant one.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank ultrakenzo

Hi ultrakenzo,

I am glad to see that you feel our W Talent looked after you during your stay.

We are focusing on increasing the signal of the Wi-Fi so that you can relax and enjoy your stay while you work or stream in the room.

Happy to hear you had an awesome experience at breakfast as the Chef Sarah has made this a focus point to make it one of the best in town.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok

Reviewed February 11, 2013

W Hotel Bangkok- 106 North Sathorn Road - Silom, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500 Tel - +66 2344 4000

Wow, what a great hotel, here on a courier trip and have never stayed at a five star hotel before, let alone a brand new one. Near Chong Nonsi BTS Skytrain stop which is an excellent air conditioned service but not very accessible for the disabled or pensioneers as lots there are lots of steep steps and not many lifts that I could see. This system does lead on to the train system that runs up to the airport, but don't get on in rush hour with luggage if you can avoid it. It is the cheaper option but if their is two or more of you it is not by much compared with the taxis outside the airport. These taxis are regulated by the government so you queue up at a desk outside the main doors, tell them where you are going and ask a price. They will give you a good ball park figure, W Bangkok is about THB 450 including tolls and THB 50 surcharge they have recently made up. It takes abut 30 mins or in the rush hour more like 45-60 mins but you can sit back, chill and enjoy the view (and traffic) in air conditioned comfort.

Once you arrive at the hotel you cannot help being a little impressed by the entrance, if a bit overly opulent and ever so slightly TOWIE, or for those non Brits, tacky. It lends more to the foyer of a big super-club than a hotel, but then my experience of this sort of hotel is limited so perhaps they are all like this. Rooms are large, well air conditioned, great views if high up and the bed is great. A good sized bath and excellent shower add to the luxury as do the gowns and slippers, however I do agree with other TA's comments about the danger of splash issues from the bath.

TV was a bit limited but then why would you want to stay in too much? Room functions controlled by funky tablet type affair which uses up about ten minutes of play time. Free wifi in the rooms and public areas which is accessible by password from the front desk.

On my first day I had all three meals in the hotel as I roamed far after breakfast but the heat drove me back to aircon and a shower. Breakfast was a buffet affair, european and eastern tastes all catered for and when you sit down you are asked how you'd like your eggs, I resisted the obvious joke and went for poached, perfectly done.

Lunch was braised shoulder of beef with caramelised onions and tomato in brioche bun. Excellent and succulent, not sure about the additional toothpaste tube of tomato chutney which was not pleasant. Fries very good as was a nice crisp Yerring Chardonnay. THB 946

Tea was pork belly on noodles with a ginger broth. Belly lovely and a nice piece of fat and crispy skin, the ginger broth was delicate and did not overpower the dish, noodles slightly too al dente for me and there was a foam but not sure what of!

Finally all the staff I encountered were excellent, friendly, knowledgeable and mostly spoke good english. I thought they were great and in fact I would heartily recommend this hotel to my more high roller type friends and I can't really find much to fault.

Room Tip: Get a high up room for the views and use the Skytrain for travel rather than cabs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
ASLJH, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Hi Phatbloke,

Thanks for the great feedback and I am happy that we are your first luxury 5 star hotel you have stayed in and that we made such an impact on you. Hopefully it will not be your last time with us.

I will be sure to pass on all your positive comments to our Talent.

All the best,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Modern, trendy and most definitely comfortable! The W Bangkok lives up to the Wow factor. The close proximity to BTS sky train at Chong Nonsi is definitely a plus as traffic can be congested in the city. On arrival you are welcomed by very friendly staff before being shown to a stylish, well appointed and spacious room. The bathroom had a separate bath and generous shower room, plus a very nice vanity/sink area with full size mirror. The bed was very roomy and comfortable with easy access (via the electronic tablet on the bedside table) to the controls for lighting, AC etc... Amazing full length glass desk complimented the modern style of the room. The Kitchen Table restaurant was casually stylish and the food was fabulous! A great menu for groups to share and sample so many wonderful dishes.....and don't forget to try one of their amazing desserts! A visit to the Woo Bar either before or after dinner is a must! Great cocktails and friendly staff... and the atmosphere is vibrant and very welcoming! Fabulous decor!
Breakfast at the Kitchen Table was excellent and even satisfied my unusual diet (something which can be difficult for me when travelling). Great variety to satisfy all tastes! A full size outdoor pool and gym complement all of the other facilities. W hotel would definitely be my choice for future visits to Bangkok. Thanks again to Sana for going above and beyond exemplary service when she ensured that my request for help in sourcing papaya seeds to take home was fulfilled! I had tried every place I could think of to locate them. Sana took it upon herself to sort it all out for me. Exemplary service which we found was constantly evident amongst the staff at the hotel. A great place to stay in Bangkok! Thank you!

Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank B J
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Hi B J,

It is great to hear that Sana and the rest of the W Bangkok team gave you the WOW factor.

I will pass on all your comments to the team and we look forward to giving you the same experience on your next trip.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We recently spent 2 nights at the W Hotel and I'm sorry to say that we were again very underwhelmed by W. We have stayed at several W Hotels within Asia (the best is Hong Kong and Taipei) but some of the designs here are very kitsch, even bordering on tacky. Think Muay Thai inspired bedrooms though we did think the sequinned boxing glove cushions were quite cute. In some cases, we felt that the design definitely promoted form over function.

For example, in the bathroom when you turn on the sink you will be splashed with water all over your front. This is even with the water slowly dripping from the tap - we didn't turn on the water fast at all. And in the Kitchen Restaurant, the banquet booths are so deep we had to ask for 2 cushions to support our backs. It is too deep for people to sit on. I am not sure because the hotel has just opened whether the seat cushions had not arrived yet but it was uncomfortable to sit at the booths and needed to move to a table.

As Platinum Starwood Members, we have always had a letter and/ or small token of appreciation from the manager. We got nothing. Our review is not negative because of this but it's the small things that help make a hotel stay memorable. Like having water bottles available in the gymnasium, having headphones for use and having blinds to block out the early morning glare from the sun. All of these are missing here. There was no one even there on duty.

On a more positive note, we loved the tablet in the room that controls the lights and a/c. The food was delicious - we thought the breakfast selection is one of the best we've had in Bangkok. Great choice of fruits, pastries, yoghurts and fresh juices with eggs made to order. We had cocktails and dinner on our first night and whilst nothing spectacular was very good quality but quite expensive. The steak costs $40 but ours arrived slightly overcooked.

And we thought the service from concierge was fantastic. Will we stay here again? No. Unfortunately, there was nothing WOW that one associates with W Hotels. Maybe we're a bit jaded and our expectations are too high? After all, you do have to allow for teething problems with new hotel openings. However the W Brand promises something special. Failure to deliver that "Wow" impacts on the brand. Our best recommendation for accommodation in Bangkok is another spg property - Le Meridien.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Mister7Star

Hi Mister7Star,

Thank you for your comments as we can only improve when people tell us their experiences.

We are looking into the sinks in the Spectacular rooms as we know it is a concern for travelers as well as looking into the cushions in The Kitchen Table. We do offer cushions if needed but we will be placing cushions in the booths to rectify this.

I am surprised about the water bottles in the gym as they are situated all over the gym by the towels and headphones but I will look into the display further to make them more visible.
It pleases me that you enjoyed the breakfast as it is one of the hardest compliments to get from travelers and that you enjoyed the tablet.

Hopefully your last comment is not final as we would like you to try W Bangkok again so we can show you what the W brand can offer.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Location of the hotel is good. A short walk through a commercial building will get to the Chong Nonsi BTS station, which is only 3 stations away from Siam.The hotel was partially opened. The Heritage Mansion next to the hotel is still under construction. We were told there will be another restaurant inside that building. At this moment, the dining choices we had were Kitchen, Wet Bar and Room Service. We had dinner at the Kitchen on a Friday evening and there were just a few guests. They did not serve buffet and the a la carte menu was small. The Away Spa was also not opened yet and there was no shower or locker facility for guests using the gym or the swimming pool at this moment.

We had the Marvellous Suite on the 29th floor. Our floor was just opened and instead of the signature W scent, we could still smell the decoration. The room was fine but we do not appreciate the design of using a curtain instead of a door for the bathroom. There were also way too many Thai elements in the design throughout the hotel and we do not find them very W. We enjoyed the tablet inside the room that controls almost everything. Unfortunately, some ceiling lights did not work and the room got very dark in the evening. Two technicians came and it took over one hour to get them fixed.

Staff was friendly and polite in general, but we met a few who definitely need more training. One example was our waitress at Kitchen. She was not familiar with the items on the menu at all and gave us bad recommendation. I asked for some sticky rice, which was on the menu, when she delivered my main course. It took her 20 minutes and she brought me dessert sticky rice. She could have told me the item was not available when I checked with her during the time, so I did not have to wait and my meal got cold. No apology from her...poor service. At the end of my meal, the sous chef came to tell me he was trying to find plain sticky rice from another kitchen. I appreciated his effort but the girl handled the situation badly.

This hotel definitely has the potential but we will probably not stay with them again until they are more ready to deliver a WOW experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi ryu0803,

Thank you for your feedback and I will follow up on all your comments.

We are currently finalizing the new menu in The Kitchen Table and we will focus on our Talent to ensure familiarization of the new menu to correctly recommend items.

The gym is only for in-house guests and we do not open it up for the public but we will have some showers and lockers when our AWAY Spa opens in March.

We do look forward to your next stay where we can WOW you.