“Cool room, great service!”
Review of W Bangkok

W Bangkok
Ranked #15 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 31, 2013

W Bangkok... One of the coolest hotel I have stayed in in Bangkok. Staffs are very friendly & helpful. It's located pretty near a train station, very convenient for travelers! Definitely worth staying there! Do take note though, quite a lot of cab drivers there do not know where the hotel is, so it's best to remember the station name so u can ask the driver to go there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Hi Kenny Y,

Thanks for the great feedback and we are working on making sure the taxi drivers know where we are. We have done a huge campaign to all taxi companies to ensure this point raised becomes a thing of the past.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok

Nick Heath

Write a ReviewReviews (2,613)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Possibly the hippest hotel to open doors in Bangkok the public spaces at W are different, modern and funky. The lobby bar (Woo) attracts young, artsy Thais like nectar at day time and business people after dark. You might as well stumble upon a film crew shooting for a Thai fashion magazine or doing a Bollywood music video.

Other than functioning as a catwalk W Bangkok has a lot to improve in order to get on my list of favourite hotels in Bangkok. There are also things that cannot be fixed any more as they'd have needed to take into account before construction.

Major design flaws (or where the designers have gone utterly mad)

1. Open plan bathroom and toilet. No door to the toilet - yes you read it right. The bathtub is so close to the carpeting of the room that just a little splashing will eventually get the carpet wet. Where there is humidity mould will start to grow.
2. Pool area far too small. Obviously not all the rooms are ready yet but the pool area was full in late afternoon. The looks are - should I say - interesting, too. Reminded me of a cobra attacking you when entering. Pool area seems to attract the film crews from the lobby area.
3. Noise from the road and especially from the BTS (Skytrain). At least in my corner room on the 12th floor noise from wheels of the Skytrain skidding in curve was loud as thunder. Something wrong with the sound-proofing of the building.
4. Location not ideal. I just wonder it this was the only available space in the city to build the hotel. Even if Chong Nonsi BTS station in very close one might consider the riverside hotels instead. Or alternatively the Siam / Sukhumvit hotels. The location is kind of in between two.

Some additional oddities include the interior decoration in rooms. Muay Thai (มวยไทย, Thai boxing) as a theme may not suit all (read: many). I not sure of the over 1 cm thick yellow glass panels in the rooms either – maybe they could have saved the money for the toilet door. Service will eventually get better as they learn - the reason why I'm not dwelling on the small things they could improve in.

Finally, some good points: public area and restaurants look great. Breakfast is excellent - like in majority of 5 star hotels in BKK. Python skin window taping at the Kitchen Table looks better after dark. Hints of Thai culture here and there around the hotel - sometimes with bit weird take up. Pool is not icy like in some BKK hotels. Could be warmer, thought. .

This place has been seen. My list of top BKK hotels remains unchanged: Hansar (for Siam and Sukhumvit areas), the Sukhothai (for Lumphini area), Anantara ex. Marriott Riverside (for riverside location).

Room Tip: Ask for room as high as possible to avoid the Skytrain noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Timo R

Hi rantati7,

Thank you for your feedback and I have discussed all points with my team.

We are looking into the solutions for some of the points raised about the bedrooms. The swimming pool area is actually in a design of an eye so that when you are in the rooms above, the sculpture around the pool is the eyebrow and the pool is the actual eye.

Yes, we have different Thai aspects in the design of the hotel as all W’s like to have a local take on their properties when it comes to design and I am happy to walk around with you next time you are in town to explain them in detail which actually makes for a great story.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and I will be sure to pass the comments on to our culinary team.

We look forward to welcoming you back and to make it onto your top BKK hotels list.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Managed to stay 3 nights last week in Spectacular Room 1217.

Getting to hotel from airport via airport limo was not a problem, as driver seems to know exactly the location. It's pure Sathorn hustling traffic, and I would strongly advise you to stay somewhere else if peace and tranquility is your cup of tea. Exterior of hotel looks nice, with the iconic W ever visible.

Was a little under-whelmed by the lobby entrance, with the high wall feature and the almost normal interior feel at the recep counters. Not quite the funky W spirit or feel compared to the ones in HK, Taipei, London or Bali. Check-in was very smooth and I got into my room in less than 15mins. Room was exactly as shown in the standard photos, still lacking the W feel... Though I really love the magenta colored muay-Thai boxing gloves set right in the middle of the famous heavenly bed. I'm fact, I was so smitten by the gloves that I actually purchased them! Like the rocking chair and the nice sized bathtub, though I had also the same problem of wet floor after a shower at the stand-type shower. The wall-mounted iPod docking is unique, though was surprised room does not have dedicated room speaker system, considering the rate which guests will be paying. The ipad-type room control system is also cool, but the novelty wears off after a while.

Am still puzzled room does not comes with soft sandals, which I presumed is standard in all W I been to. Even the sandals which were sent to me eventually after requesting for one did not have the standard W logo on it. Wonder if it was grabbed from some samples or they simply overlooked this little but important detail... And this was also my very time to have asked for laundry bags as there were none in the room! Even a $50/night room in Hanoi provide a decent bag for free!

Breakfast quality is good and the drinks in the WooBar were great. However, I had the luxury of eating and drinking with house-flies at my table, as they occasionally checked-out what I was having. Bad news.. I'm pretty sure I never missed any of my 2 routine showers per day during the stay.

I had also the chance to try the So experience in So Sofitel Bangkok just last month, and I just can't help comparing it with W. In short, I have to give the additional star to So, for the design concept, functionality, comfort and service level. I will be staying again in both W and So, 3 nights each, in early March, and Im looking forward to see a very different W then.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank popeyescoob
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Hi popeyescoob,

Thanks for your feedback and I have discussed all the points raised with my team.

The hotel design is based around ‘bejeweled mystique’ and our Welcome area fits the design by having the mythical creatures (the phoenix) fighting a tiger on the black mirrored glass which has been pixelated by crystals. We are currently adding more features to the Welcome area in a form of artistic neon lighting as we strive to look for What’s new/next at W Bangkok.

Glad you liked the room and I must apologize if the ‘sound bar system’ was not explained properly. The Sony sound bar system beneath the LED flat screen is connected to not only the TV but also to the jack pack so you can have awesome sound watching things on your portable devices as well as being linked to the I-pod docking station to which you can have a great party vibe in your room with music if you so wish.

I have addressed the slippers and the laundry bag as you are correct, we should have them in all rooms and we have increased our pest control to ensure you don’t have any distraction eating with flies around you but it is difficult with so many open areas in the public areas to contain.

We look forward to welcoming you back in March and by all means please ask for me as I would love to hear your feedback on the comparison of your stays.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here over christmas and are very pleased with the hotel. Wonderful beds and nice trendy rooms. The floor in the bathroom was always wet after the shower.
The service at breakfast was a bit slow if you ordered a la carte. Swimmingpoolarea and gym was very nice.
We are over 50 years and for us the music was to loud in the restaurant, swimmingpool and lobby.
It´s very near skytrain station.

Room Tip: Behind the hotel they are building new houses so we were disturb early in the mornings. Ask fpor a r...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Sivlan,

Thank you for your comments and I have taken all your feedback and discussed with my team.
We are looking into solutions that the floor of the bathroom does not get wet and looking into the optimum level of music for all our dining areas.

It is a shame that there is some building works around the hotel but we have spoken with the contractors and they will only look at working during the daylight hours.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok on your next trip to the city.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

As with all W hotels, you will either love it or hate it; there is no grey area. I am firmly in the former and couldn't wait to check out W Bangkok.We stayed in a wonderful room for 5 nights and a spectacular room for 4 nights.

The W hotel chain is known for their cutting edge and stylish design and W Bangkok is no exception. The attention to detail is apparent everywhere. The wall of tuk tuk changing tuk tuk lights and the images of the street dogs in the Great Room are examples of the W integrating Thai culture into the hotel design. The lobby is furnished in black reflective granite with a motif of a phoenix along one wall, thus giving the hotel a luxurious and sophisticated feel. This hotel is certainly not lacking the 'W' wow factor. A five star hotel would not be a high end hotel without excellent staff. The staff at the W bangkok are enthusiastic, friendly, efficient and always willing to help. The all appear to love working at the W. Special mentions must go to Wan and KJ at the Whatever/Whenever'desk for assisting us with restaurant and spa bookings and for being so welcoming and really making us feel at home at the W.

The pool area (WET) is amazing and creates the atmosphere of a quirky interpretation of a modern rooftop pool. At night the twinkling color changing LED lights adds another element to a dramatic outdoor rooftop experience. The staff at WET are also excellent, quick to bring around menus and take orders.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel for families with children as this hotel is marketed towards hip young and trendy professionals who appreciate quality design and a high level of service. We very much appreciated the absence of children which gave us the opportunity to really relax and unwind without the sound of screaming kids. If you are after a hotel with contemporary design and staff who will go above and beyond to make you feel at home, then there simply is no other choice.

1  Thank aw101
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Hi aw101,

It is great to hear that our Talent looked after you so well and I will make sure they are all noticed.

I’m happy to see you love W Bangkok and I hope we will see you soon in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

In summary, we were treated as Super stars !. … we wanted to experience the BRAND and were certainly not disappointed, even though it was the opening month. Sure there were a few MINOR quirks but then who wouldn't have when you have a multimillion dollar project on the go. Any minor concerns were taken care of quickly and with a smile !

The amazing thing was that my kids even knew that there was something special about the hotel compare the the general 4/5 stars that we usually go to. The kids even noticed the finer details of the décor and general ambiance - and the twins are only 8 !! To be fair, its not really the type of place where the kids can run riot on a family holiday …. it is a adults type hotel - though we were made to feel VERY WELCOME with no hold barred.

The hotel is not a resort to chill ! … its a place to RADIATE and glow ! and glow you will after some of the cocktails at the bar. However, I was surprised that the bar was not on a roof top for the views...instead it is on the ground floor but did have a huge impact as soon as you walked in. The drinks were VERY REASONABLY priced compared to some of the major Bangkok branded hotels and bars that we also visited whilst in bangkok - quite a surprise !

Great attention to detail from the staff. It wont be long before the W is an welcomed LANDMARK within Bangkok - a city which is full of branded hotels already.

Location was superb as it was away from the hustle but within minutes (by metro/tube/over-rail).

I hope you are a gadget freak as the rooms are all controlled by a mini tablet ! - regretably, this can be frustrating.

Room Tip: higher the better !
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank mayorofbayswater

Hi mayorofbayswater,

Thanks for the great comments about your stay,

We try to welcome all our guest, even our younger ones equally and want to ensure you all walk away happy.

It was a long debate whether we go in-line with other 5 stars and charge much higher prices for our beverages but we want to be open and honest so that you don’t feel cheated when the bill comes. WOOBAR is on the ground floor to make sure everyone experiences the W experience as soon as you walk in as our passion points are music, fashion and design and we believe all 3 radiates from the moment you enter the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming your family and yourself on your next trip to Bangkok,

Reviewed January 21, 2013

First the negative:
Paid US$6.40 for a can of Coke Zero from the lobby bar. The can was unopened, purchased in the mid afternoon and carried back to my room. IOW's, not delivered via room service. Unbelievable!
Informed at check-in breakfast was included. It was not. Ended up paying US$64.41 (+ tip.) the next morning.

Now the positive:
Other reviews have criticized hotel staff. The hotel is 8 weeks old and running like a Swiss watch. The staff is outstanding. Starwood should be very pleased.

Other reviews have criticized hotel noise levels. Especially originating from the BTS (Bangkok’s elevated public transportation.) Bangkok is a city of approximately 6.5 million people. As such, it can be loud. Same ‘city noise’ can be observed in all major cities. I’m on the 18th floor and yes I can hear the BTS. I also hear the same ‘buzz’ that is audible in any large city. A few years back, I stayed at the Shangri La in Bangkok. Located directly on the river, I heard boat traffic on the river as well as the city ‘buzz.’ Bottom line, noise in large cities is to be expected.

Other comments criticized the hotel for providing ‘hotel address cards in English.’ The cards are used as location instructions (new hotel) for taxi drivers. Unfortunately, taxi drivers could not read the ‘English’ address. Upon check-in, I was provided address cards in Thai. Situation solved.

Other than two minor hick-ups, my stay has been outstanding. This is a ‘W’ branded property. If you enjoy the W brand concept, you will love The W Bangkok.

1  Thank SteveEMCO

Hi SteveEMCO,

Thank you for the feedback and I am glad to see you did not leave with a sour feeling about W Bangkok.

I will pass the comments onto the team as being referred to a Swiss watch is a great compliment.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok