“an awesome W hotel!”
Review of W Bangkok

W Bangkok
Ranked #37 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

I went there couple times during my stay in Bangkok.. I went to the woobar and the kitchen table. I have to say the service was fantastic! The w team knows how to make your experience w-special! Starting from the supercool list of cocktails they had on the menu.. Afterwards we headed to the kitchen table for dinner and our waiter tommy and viber were great. VIber approached us with a warm welcome and tommy was our waiter during the dinner and even though he forgot to inform us before we ordered that some items in the menu were not available he was super attentive and helpful! All the dishes we had had a great twist and flare! The fettuccine, open raviolli, and everyhting else we had was delicious and perfectly executed! They were prompt with the service and the dessert was the WOW factor for us! The carrot cake was out of this world it was a stellar carrot cake, and the goat cheesecake with plums was excellent as well! I would definetly come back next time in Thailand.. Great place to dine!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank greentan
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Hi greentan,

I hope you are well and thank you for the great feedback,

I have shared your comments with the team and with the chefs who really appreciate your positive comments.

We look forward to exceeding your expectations on your next visit to W Bangkok,

All the best,

Reviewed January 9, 2013

when we made the reservation we didn´t read the reviews and i´m glad we didn´t. our experience was totally different. of course the cab drivers don´t know where it is, happens when a place has just opened. but as the W sign in front of the building is quite flashy we never had a problem to find it. we stayed on the 17th floor, view was great. so was the staff. i can highly recommend the berry smoothie from woo bar. we even got 2 vouchers for free drinks. the only objection i have was the toilet as it´s quite open and there´s only a curtain to close the entire bathroom from the rest of the room. so u really have to feel comfortable with the person u r travelling with.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wolferinn
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hi wolferinn,

I hope you are well and thank you for your great feedback,

I appreciate your understanding regarding your taxi driver not being familiar with the hotel but we have started a campaign to ensure it is rectified as soon as possible.

I have passed on your positive comments to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok in the near future.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

As a SPG member, I was defintely looking foward for a new property ( especially W) to be present in Bangkok. However, all the excitement and the anticpation was recriprocriated with disappointment and somehow a bitter after taste.

First the location was not very ideal. Upon checking in the concerige was great ( the only good thing i can praise about the hotel) Again, i can recognised many of them were formally from other great hotels in Bangkok.

The check in was okay, though i had to wait for more than an hour for my room. However, interesting to note that upon checking in, the front desk failed to ask me the likely time I will be checking out, which i thought is a standard SOP.

What i find lacking is the sincer warmth and greeting that you would associate with the Thai smile and friendliness. Perhaps the culture is a little too american?

The room we got is the deluxe, clean and sleek, with ample of day light which i like. However, on checking the anemintes, they dont provide mouth rinse and the bathroom also flooded.

The next day at the Breakfast was rather a lousy and bad experiences. Being a SPG platinum member, I am entitle for complimentary breakfast and upon checking in, i also request to utilise my free gift to pay for my friend breakfast. Somehow this data was not captured on the system and I was denied my breakfast at the restaurant entrance. I requested the staff to double checked with the front desk, knowing perhaps it was some miscommunication. After a while, i was told that no, i dont complimentary breakfast and i will need to pay for it. I decided to speak to the front desk personally. By then, I was a little annoyed and embarassed because i was standing in front of the restaurant and was been rejected. I decided to speak to the front desk over the phone. Within a few minutes, the front desk staff told me it was a mistake and i can have my complimentary breakfast. she never apologised and also failed to explain what happened and why after confronting her that she noticed i was indeed entitle for a breakfast. by then the staff who was serving us at the restaurant was gone. I went in found a table and start to look around for food. When i came back with my juice, i realised that the chair was a little too low for comfort and i decided to change table not once but twice. The amazing thing was during this 15 minutes not even a single serving staff came to me and offern any help or even asking whether I would want to have tea or coffee. The whole experiences just spolit my mood on New Year Eve. No apology, bad staff attitude just spoilt my day.

Upon checking out, I decided to speak to the duty manager and she was kind enough to hear me out and would act on it and investigate and get back to me. is more than 6 days and i still have not heard from her or even an apology from the hotel That really reflect how much the hotel value the hotel guests feedback and the service recovery was simply not up to standard.

The whole experiences in W was reallyfar off from those that i experiences in other W hotel around the world. Perhaps in the first place, i should have lower my expectation and that will help me managed better.

So my overall experiences was just an average and if people do have the money to spare, there are better option in Bangkok that sure make your money worth while.

Christopher Tan

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank chrissing

Hi chrissing,

I hope you are well and thank you for your review,

I have taken your comments to our restaurant team and we have discussed detailed scenarios and solutions for cases such as yourself so that no other guest has an unpleasant experience such as yours and can only apologize for the lack of following up on your request.

We do have great Talent who has come from other top 5 star hotels in the city as you have noticed and we are all looking forward to exceeding your expectations on your next stay with us and will ensure you have your allocated benefits befitting your status in SPG.

If you would like to discuss anything further please reach out to me at pr.wbangkok@whotels.com

Reviewed January 5, 2013

A brand new hotel expectations seems to up there because of W brand. My advise is to go with minimal expectations and you will expect a better result. The taxi-drivers have no idea where the hotel is located. Staff are friendly, smily at the door and whenever you meet them. While waiting for our room, sat in the Woo-Bar for drinks and see mosquitoes flying around. When mentioned to the staff, they just smile and acknowledged. Rooms are equipped with the most modern technology, in-room tablet to adjust your lightings, air-condition, do-not-disturb sign etc. Have to get someone up to teach us how to use the sound system. The bathroom have no doors with just a big blind to cover in case you have guests coming over. The bathroom does flood and overflow often due to the design layout of the standing shower. Bathtub is small. Love the pool, they offered sunglasses to guests. Witnessed a hotel guest slipped and fell facedown as he missed one step and assistance was rendered but took a long time to decide what to do. During breakfast, had a little commotion where the in-house report said our room does not include breakfast but as a Platinum member, breakfast was complimentary. Confirmed twice and finally Reception said its inclusive. That was an unhappy experience at the breakfast room. No one came to ask for coffee & tea until I signalled and the manager came to ask how we are doing. A big breakfast room but only 4-5 staff working. We called to ask for more carrier bags and moisturizer, it came up with a small carrier bag mentioning the hotel has ran out. Instead, they brought soap and shower gel. Location is behind BTS Chong-Nonsi, no shopping malls and convenience shops nearby. Daytime you have Dean & Deluca to go to. Overall a good experience but will only revisit a year later to wow us back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank engineers1213

Hi engineers1213,

I hope you are well and thank you for constructive feedback,

We have implemented a taxi campaign to educate drivers of the location of the hotel and I can understand your frustration but I am happy to hear you feel our Talent is friendly and smiling.

All of your comments I have taken on board and I have discussed with the team on what solutions we have and I believe we have found some positive solutions to ensure we stop anymore experiences you had at breakfast and in your room.

Our suites should be coming online in mid-February and we are excited as they truly are W standard so hopefully you will be coming sooner than in a year and we look forward to welcoming you and offering you your benefits befitting an SPG Platinum member.

If you would like to reach out to me please do so at pr.wbangkok@whotels.com

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Location. A fairly good location close to a metro station. Hard to reach with a taxi though.

Atmosphere. Empty and lacks any kind of wow factor. Nice details like the stairs to restaurant but it just doesn't have that something. Bar downstairs is just dead on arrival.

Rooma. We had a nice room in 9th floor, quiet and lots of nice and quirky details. Bed was good and aircon worked.,nothing much more to say about that.

Service. Staff has practised an american axcent which is rather amusing. Sometomes it works, sometomes it doesn't. We endedup using google rather than the concierge since they just aren't ready yet to serve the needs of the customers.

Overall. Not finished yet. I.e. The historical building in the courtyard isn't finished yet. Its restaurant and feel might bring that something extra the hotel needs.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LittleFox77
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Hi LittleFox77,

I am sad to hear that you feel we lack some WOW, we are always trying to move forward and focus on what's new/ next so maybe in the near future we will have your WOW element so watch this space.

I have passed your comments onto the Concierge so that next time you come; we will be ready to answer all your questions about the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok in the future,

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Loved it. This is the third W property I have stayed in this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't see any of the teething problems other people have mentioned. They absolutely got the formula right. My only complaint was no slippers in the room but otherwise cannot fault the place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank bwgs888

Hi bwgs888,

Thank you for your great feedback and I have informed our Style department (Housekeeping) regarding your slippers.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Bangkok.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This brand new hotel certainly has the W feel but there is something lacking I felt. First impressions were not great as upon check in they said my booking made on their own web had been cancelled - despite me calling the hotel to advise of a late arrival. Then I had issues trying to get them to give me breakfast on my rate that included breakfast. The rooms do have a nice feel to them but the design is perhaps a little dated. The breakfast is good without being amazing. Pool area again is nice but doesn't blow you away. The staff are friendly and helpful. The location relative to other 5 star similarly priced hotels is not great and very few taxi drivers know where the hotel is.

• Stayed: December 2012

Hi Zhangram,

I am saddened to hear that your check in experience was not satisfactory and I have discussed the point with our Welcome team to ensure no-one else has your similar experience.

It is nice to see that you feel the hotel is nice but sad to hear it does not meet your personal expectations.

We are looking into more design elements as W Hotels always like to focus on what's new/next so watch this space.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok on your next trip to the city,