“Classy but something missing”
Review of W Bangkok

W Bangkok
Ranked #22 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This brand new hotel certainly has the W feel but there is something lacking I felt. First impressions were not great as upon check in they said my booking made on their own web had been cancelled - despite me calling the hotel to advise of a late arrival. Then I had issues trying to get them to give me breakfast on my rate that included breakfast. The rooms do have a nice feel to them but the design is perhaps a little dated. The breakfast is good without being amazing. Pool area again is nice but doesn't blow you away. The staff are friendly and helpful. The location relative to other 5 star similarly priced hotels is not great and very few taxi drivers know where the hotel is.

• Stayed: December 2012
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Hi Zhangram,

I am saddened to hear that your check in experience was not satisfactory and I have discussed the point with our Welcome team to ensure no-one else has your similar experience.

It is nice to see that you feel the hotel is nice but sad to hear it does not meet your personal expectations.

We are looking into more design elements as W Hotels always like to focus on what's new/next so watch this space.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok on your next trip to the city,

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The first thing you have to realize is the location of the hotel is absolutely awful. Its 20 min from Sukhamvit Road, 15 min from Siam Square, 20 min from Grand Palace, and NO CAB DRIVERS KNOW WHERE IT IS. I repeat-the hotel is so new-that ZERO cab drivers know where the hotel is. The W tries to alleviate this problem by giving you a tiny "card-map" each time you get in a cab from the hotel but the only problem is the streets are in english and it doesn't help the cab drivers. Hotel is walking distance from NOTHING.

Pros-the staff is very nice and friendly, speak great english, you get 2 free drinks (any drink) upon check in, customer service is fantastic, rooms are spacious, luxurious, and in room products are state of the art (mini iPad for tv/lighting remote), gym is spectacular, pool is very trendy. Everything you would expect from a W brand hotel EXCEPT the location. You will literally drive around for 30 min looking for the hotel every time with the cab driver-so only stay here if you've been to bangkok before and know your way around and can direct the cab drivers to North Silom Road.

Hi CLonds,

Yes, we are a new hotel and it does take some time for all taxi drivers to get to know the hotels location in such a large metropolitan city. The marketing department is working with the taxi companies to promote the location of the hotel. We have also looked into our taxi card where we had the English address in the front and Thai on the back. We will now print new cards with the address in both languages on the front of the card.

I am sad to see that you feel our location is not ideal, we are situated in the central business district where we are 3 stops from Siam Paragon and only 2 stops to the river via the Skytrain so it is easier to get around as we are located in the middle of the city.

It is great to hear that you think the Talent is nice and friendly and I have passed on your comments to the team as well as liking all our areas in the hotel.

I understand that we are not ideally located for your personal preference but we do look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Over the last twelve months, I've stayed in at least 6 different W properties in Asia, US and Europe. While some are hits and some near misses, no W comes close to W Bangkok in terms of the unpleasant overall experience. Let me just clarify myself first, the hotel staff is great and friendly but the design of the hotel especially the room is questionable. The design is in such bad taste that I swear that I will not come back to this W until some serious design modification work is done or I desperately in need of some kinky sexual activities.

The public area of the hotel
Like most Ws in the world, the design of the lobby is trendy and funky. It is clear that the hotel is targeted at a crowd who is probably enjoys a more flashy design (read sequined throw pillows, etc). The public area is bigger than some of the Ws that I've stayed. Hence, the first impression is relatively good. So far so good for the sight. But something is missing... the signature BLISS scent that embraces the property. That's probably a premonition to what's going to come in the room.

Lift
No labeling on the lift panel? This is the first hotel that does not have proper labeling in the lifts. You better know which floor the facilities are. If not, you are going to have a hard time locating the facilities. It's weird that the panel reflects the numbers and nothing else. How would I know where is the restaurant, gym and pool? Must I memorise them? Not that guest friendly.

Something's missing again
One of W's signatures is that they change the carpet in the lift accordingly to the time of the day. Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening... it really perks up your day. I can expect the carpets to be in local language but having a plain solid coloured carpet is so un-W.

The room
Avoid any room with numbers ending with 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06. They face the afternoon sun. We checked in at 4pm and the room was so warm (and it's in one of the coolest months in Bangkok)! We had to draw the blackout curtains and set the aircon temperature to the lowest to cool down the room - fast.

The first impression of the room is like most other Ws - strong local design elements. But it seems to me that the interior designer's impression of Bangkok is Muay Thai and Ah GoGo bars (read strip clubs). The tacky bedspread is a huge turn off (I hated it when I first saw the promotional photo on the website). The sequined boxing gloves? Just okay to me.

The biggest turn off in the room is the toilet! And it makes the room oozes nothing but sex, sex and more sex. Why do you need a pole in the bathroom? Especially when it's just besides the bathtub? I'm quite sure it's not for any structural purposes. I can tolerate and accept open concept design (most W's have open concept toilet) but this toilet is beyond open - it's risque! There is no door to the WC?? Come on, some people might have fetishes looking at their partners doing their businesses (small and big) but the odour??? This is basic common sense! Even though there is a curtain to block out the bathroom/ toilet area, it is insufficient at all. The worse is that the curtain does not even block out the entire bathroom! I've stayed in W Bali where it boosts an open concept toilet but it was much tastefully designed and privacy is respected. W Bangkok is just plain BAD. And also, the shower area is not covered properly by the shower curtain. Please make sure the floor mat is close to the edge of the shower area. The shower curtain cannot keep the water from seeping into the rest of the bathroom.

Oh... by the way, do you provide bedroom slippers? I thought that's like a given in Asia Hotels? I couldn't find any bedroom slippers.

On the whole, the designer has definitely done a great job to showcase the infamous side of Bangkok in a room.

Turn Down Service
The turn down service is close to non-existent. The housekeeping actually left a pile of dirty towels on the bathroom floor without clearing them! The turn down service is just removing the tacky bedspread, changing the towels, giving a couple of bottled water. Disappointing.

The restaurant - The Kitchen Table
The mainly western dish menu has very limited selections. Maybe they are not ready (I understand that only 100 plus rooms are open out of the projected 400). That explains the limited options? And also, the food quality is not great. My pork was too dry and my partner's seafood pasta was over done as well. The only good thing that we had was the Thai ribs soup.

The breakfast fared slightly better. But then, it was not value for money. We stayed at the St Regis Bangkok before we moved to W Bangkok this trip. And I must say W Hotel Bangkok is no way comparable to St Regis Bangkok (in every sense).

The Pool & Gym
I didn't use the gym but walked past it on the way to the pool. The gym again embraces an open concept... why is everything in this W is so open? You see everyone working out in the gym. The gym looks well equipped.

The pool is tad too small for a 400-room property. And frankly, please have a heated pool. The water was so cold that it's near impossible to swim during the colder months.

Frankly, there is a thin line between cutting-edge design and impractical fluff. W Bangkok definitely leans more towards the impractical fluff. Oh, not unless you enjoy bathing and defecating in the open (or at least in your room).

Room Tip: Avoid the west-facing rooms at all costs.
16  Thank QCInspector

Hi QC Inspector,

Thank you for your comments and I am saddened to hear that you did not fully enjoy your experience at W Bangkok. We are looking into all of your points and thank you for your feedback.

Each W is unique and has a different design approach and I am surprised you felt that the room is designed in a matter that just promotes what you call “the infamous side of Bangkok”, as this is not the design direction for any of the hotel and is the first comment we have received mentioning such. The pole in the Spectacular Room next to the bathtub is a ‘grab bar’ for safely getting in and out of the freestanding bathtub. It is only centimeters away from both glass walls which is why it is attached to the ceiling and floor and it is not possible to use it for anything else.

I apologize for any inconveniences that any of these issues caused during your stay. I am pleased to hear that you found our talent great and friendly as it is good to know that we have the correct team in place to make sure your next experience with us meets your expectations.
Perhaps next time you will be more comfortable in our Wonderful Room.

I am always happy to discuss more in detail and happy to be contacted on pr.wbangkok@whotels.com

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at the W Bangkok for one night on way back to Dubai. Hotel is nice but unfinished. Construction was still going on. I could not hear it but the traffic on the street. Did not have time to check out the pool area but it looked nice from my window. It is was a pleasant experience for a new property. The staff was friendly but still not fully in the game. It will take a little time but I think it will be a cool place to stay in a few months when everything is finished and staff is more aware of what's going on. I got a little annoyed with the Whatever/Whenever desk as both girls were involved helping a group of 3 guys and made me wait. But they were nice and helpful afterwards. Also in the morning they called a cab for me to take me to the airport and once I left i realized the driver did not put the meter on and tried to ask for set fee and after I yelled at him to put meter on he was a bit upset and drove me to the airport at a speed of 140km/h. Got there safe but staff should be more careful when calling a cab and making sure all is good before letting the guest leaving the hotel and having to deal a driver who does not speak any English.

Also had a drink at the bar. Very nice ambiance, friendly staff and good music.

Give it a few months and definitely will be a top recommended property in town. I give it excellent rating considering it is a new hotel.

Room Tip: I have a room facing the pool and I liked it. Rooms and suits on the other side were not all ready y...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ivolicious
W Bangkok H, General Manager at W Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Hi lvolicious,

Thanks for your feedback and your understanding that we are a newly opened hotel. We still have some interior work taking place in the building. The suites we look forward to having in the beginning of February and our Spa will open in March.

We have addressed the taxi meter point to our Welcome Ambassadors and they will ensure that taxis have the meter on before you leave the premises and if the taxi does not want to put it on, we will find you a taxi that will.

We look forward to your next stay with us at W Bangkok,

Reviewed January 1, 2013

After a recent stay at this hotel, coupled with some of the comments about the staff here, I felt compelled to make a TA account to rate this W.

Despite some expected opening pains (construction etc), the facility / rooms are beautiful and the staff is truly fantastic. They went out of their way to help us enjoy our time in Bangkok and were extremely pleasant 100% of the time. The duty manager (may nave name wrong, but believe her name was Ji) was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

I have over 150 nights at SPG properties over the last three years (many of which were Ws), and have to say this was one of the most helpful staffs I've encountered.

Also, the Woo bar cocktail menu is surprisingly good.

Hi Ashwin K,

Thank you for your understanding that we have some opening pains, our Talent is extremely engaged in offering the Whatever/Whenever service culture of a W hotel.

I have passed on your positive feedback to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to W Bangkok in the near future.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at the W Bangkok during 2nd week of it's opening. Granted it was their second week but most of the staff were clueless when asked questions. Only about 80 rooms were open so there is still a lot of construction and banging going on early in the morning. I could still smell the paint in the room which was awful. The shower stall wouldn't drain properly so the bathroom almost got flooded. I told management about it but didn't really get fixed. The food at the restaurant is horrible. I ordered egg benedict and it came out cold. One evening I ordered beef tartar as an appetizer which was served with soggy french fries, really? It's a brand new hotel and it's going to take some time improve it's service to Bangkok standards. I'd avoid it for a few months, I switched hotels after 3 nights.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Hi Cardinalbeagle,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review as it is only with feedback we can improve.

I am happy to say that we have over 180 rooms available and we should have all rooms in the tower back in February. With a new hotel we do have faults in rooms and we are trying to fix all reported items like your drain in your bathroom.

I have passed on your comments to the Chef and she will look into how we serve future Eggs Benedict to ensure they are hot when arriving at the table and she has also noted your comment of the beef tartar.

Please let us know when you are planning to return to Bangkok so we can live up to your expectations.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is my first ever review on tripadvisor. I write it sitting poolside at W Bangkok. We transferred here from an horrific 1 night stay at Lebua (we were supposed to stay for 6). i can't even begin to explain how great this place is. The staff are incredible, including Nick the GM. The lobby bar is a lot of fun. The location is great. The pool terrific. This new addition to Bangkok does itself proud. If you want a friendly, design orientated, trendy, fun and relaxed holiday look no further. This new W is one of the best in their portfolio. I rate it with W HK and W Mexico City.

Room Tip: Looking forward to heritage area being open later in the year

Hi melboi,

Great to have met you while on your trip to Bangkok.

Thank you for your kind words which I have passed on to our Talents.

We look forward to seeing you again, the next time you are in Bangkok.