“Atmosphere great and feel good food”

Quince - Eatery & Bar
Ranked #137 of 11,259 Restaurants in Bangkok
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was recommended this restaurant by a friend and then I read up about its philosophy of using fresh and sustainable produce. It was really easy to find with the huge sign on Soi 45 directing you and I instantly felt like we were going to be going inside somewhere special. There are huge floor to ceiling windows all the way around the front of the restaurant and candles everywhere. It is a bit like walking into a trendy NY or London bar. Lovely decor that makes it homely but cool.

I was actually surprised to be greeted by western staff and there are even some western waiting staff. We thought the drinks list was fabulous and if we were in the mood for cocktails it would be the perfect location. We ordered our favorite beer and unfortunately it was not in stock but they had beer Lao dark at 120 baht which we thought was reasonable in such a nice restaurant. We did have to ask for a food menu as they were not fourth coming however the rest of the service was very attentive.

We were given complimentary appetizers and bread with salt and olive oil which I think is a really nice touch and wish more restaurants took on the med tradition of doing this. I was also happy that they just had plain water not all fancy water that is expensive, imported and tastes the same. I think they should consider having a water filter though to cut down on the use of plastic bottles.

We ordered starters of potato and cheese croquettes and some olives. These came promptly and the olives were absolutely delicious. Our salads and main came very quickly after this. Many people have commented that their meals came at different times but we found the timings fine for us, if anything a little rushed. We could not decide of the salads so we ordered two. The green beans and dukhah which was crunchy and healthy tasting and the aubergine and Romesco sauce. The later was incredible and would be fine for a main meal for an individual. My partner also order sweetcorn risotto which i thought was very strange to order but actually it was well cooked and the Parmesan foam worked well, although the foam soon turned liquid. We both agreed that it was nice to see a cheap and local ingredient that is often taken for granted, as the hero of the dish. We really enjoyed having the table full of all of the dishes and just grazing as we talked and enjoyed the atmosphere.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to couples and friends, I cannot wait to go back and try the desserts, as they look incredible! Altogether our meal for 3 beers, water, 2 salads, 1 main and 2 starters was 1500 inc ++. I think this is very reasonable. Above our usual dinner budget but not so much that we would not go again, a lot!

Only one thing that annoyed me was that on the menu it has a lot of vegetarian dishes and then it says 'and for something more substantial' which was all meat dishes. Anyway that's my personal dig. Many people wouldn't even notice.

Oh and the toilet is really quaint along with the rest of the decor, such as a union jack sofa :)

1  Thank natalie L

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I really enjoy Quince. Great atmosphere. Service was excellent. The starters were actually better than the mains. The group liked the albondigas, eggplant, squid, and the creative drinks. Excellent choice of beers, wines, and drinks. We took our friends here because the vegetarian choices however, My pork belly dish was perfection.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stumbled upon Quince on accident...and we sure were delighted. The restaurant is housed in a lovely building and the decor exudes lots of character and charm. The food was excellent and service was good too. The drink menu is extensive; you're sure to find something to wet your whistle. It's a perfect place for when you're needing a break from Thai food. (After your delicious meal, be sure to stop by the Casa Pagoda home furnishing store next door. They have awesome stuff!)

1  Thank PeanutButters
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Excellent choice if you want to try something different than Thai food. The menu is original. A new french Chef from Ducasse since 3 days....new menu will be even more surprising.
Reasonably priced and good service.
We definitely recomend it!!!

1  Thank Nicolas O
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was three of us, order appetizer and main dishes. All the dishes we ordered were beautifully plated and look so delicious. But it was all brand and boring when we actually ate it.

My boyfriend and his male friend arrived the restaurant before I did. The waiter seated them just right before hallway to the bathroom while the whole dining room in the back was empty. I arrived and politely asked to be moved to somewhere better. My boyfriend said the waiter was having some kind of attitude when they first arrived. But it was none of that to me.

so all and all.... I rather go somewhere else for the same price. Really beautifully decorated restaurant and so bland and boring food.

It's good for you if you don't care for great food, only care for atmosphere.