“The 40's are Back”

Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“The 40's are Back”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

When I walked inside the restaurant, the decoration and music made me feel i'm in the 40's & 50's especially the music they played. I like it very much. It's classy and cozy. The food were great. Roast baby carrot were wonderful, fresh and naturally sweet. My fish steak was nicely cooked, crispy skin and the fish is not dried. Yummy!! They also have lots of cocktail and wine here. I'll definitely go back.

• Thai first
Oslo, Norway
“Trendy eatery with great food in Soi 45”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Went her with a colleague who had heard about this new, trendy place. It is a tapas type of place, with plenty of small dishes and a decent wine selection to choose from. Very quick, friendly and attentative service. Busy place when we were there at 7.45pm on a Wednesday in March.

We ordered 7 small dishes, while 5 would have been enough. Croquettes (good), Iberico (very good), pork and chicken terrines (ok).

Definetely recommend the place, very nice ambience and feel to it.

• Visited March 2013
bangkok
“Excellent and interesting menu.”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Quince is a lovely dining experience. The food is well conceived and interesting in a very positive way. One real plus is lunch is served right up to dinner so for late lunchers, like me, it's heaven sent. Wonderful sandwiches are among my lunch favorites. Service is informed and graceful.
Pricing is very fair.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank bangkok8
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous Food with not so fabulous service!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The reviews and buzz surrounding Quince made it's way up to Chiang Mai, so naturally we had to come and try the place for ourselves. I'd left it to the last minute to book and when I enquired about a table for 2 on the night, we were told they were booked out. So my friend then suggested that we get the concierge at our hotel to book - voila, suddenly a table appears free.

When we arrived, there were several tables empty so I'm thinking 'what's going on?'. The welcome from the waitress was non plus at best, and we were shown to our table in the back section of the restaurant which was not yet set up. Unfortunately, we didn't realise that the election was on, so no alcohol was served at all. They did have an excellent selection of fresh juices and smoothies.

We loved the overall space; I agree with some of the reviews here that the back section does look a bit empty but I personally love the ambience of open, warehouse spaces like this.

The food was fabulous! Really fresh produce cooked simply and cleverly - everything was delicious. We loved the wet roasted chicken, hand cut pasta with crabmeat and the vegetable side dishes were yummy and full of flavour. Reminded me of the food I have missed since living here in Thailand.

We didn't like the service at all. There was no warmth or smiles at all, the manager didn't even say hello to us and you just got the overall feeling that they would rather be somewhere else. Maybe we went on a bad night, but you just don't expect this sort of thing especially here in Thailand where service is second to none.

We'll go back to try it again and hopefully next time, the service will be as good as the food.

• Visited March 2013
Sanya45, Owner at Quince - Eatery & Bar, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Mister7Star,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

We are glad to hear you loved the food and our decor, we have put a lot of heart into the making of it. Sorry to hear that our service that night lacked the very heart we've put in elsewhere.

Saying hello or goodbye and smiling are the fundamentals of this industry and we have reminded our employees diligently. We also try to accommodate the booking arrangements as best as possible so that the kitchen is not overwhelmed with multiple tables ordering at the same time at peak periods, which could result in delays between courses.

Hopefully indeed when you come back, your experience will be perfect.

Sanya Souvanna Phouma
Owner, in charge of Guests Relations and Social Media
Bangkok
“Perfect Sunday lunch with the family”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

in a city with as many restaurants as Bangkok, it often becomes a challenge to find a place that is just right for an occasion, simply because of the bewildering choices in front of you. This can be especially difficult in the Sukhumvit area, where restaurants are usually packed even on a Sunday.

I thought Quince would be no different, as I read a good review of it on CNN. Surprisingly, the restaurant was not at all busy on the Sunday we went. I would like to think it was due to the timing rather the food, which was outstanding.

We pre-ordered the roast lamp shoulder to share. It was delicious, as were the salads and pasta dishes. You could tell everything was cooked expertly and the produce was very fresh.
My only gripe was with the risotto with its slightly hard Arborio rice, but everything else came out great. The pasta with crab meat was a highlight as was the Canoli dessert.

Service here is among the best in the city. From the constant e-mail communications since reservation to the prompt seating, every step was a breeze. Food came out lightning quick, water was filled without asking and both the Thai and foreign staff were courteous and patient.

I love the decor of Quince, with its floor-to-ceiling glass windows, rustic wood tables and quirky paintings of circus memorabilia. It is on Sukhumvit Soi 45, which is a remarkably peaceful oasis next to the main road. The place draws families with children like ours, so it must be somewhere you can have a family get together in peace. Our lunch lasted nearly 1.5 hours, which showed how much we enjoyed the the restaurant.

Best of all, I thought the food here was not expensive at all - awesome value for money. Most dishes were below 500 baht. I would definitely return again.

• Visited February 2013