“Best Chinese Food in Bangkok”

Jasmin Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #1,707 of 10,959 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Muscat, Oman
“Best Chinese Food in Bangkok”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had the pleasure of eating at Jasmin for the last 10 years.the Pecking duck is very nice.the location is just across Robinson department store on Sukhumvit Rd.the service is good.nice view of the road below.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Al-raisi99311194

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“More suited to asian tastes...”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I've been taken to this restaurant several times now and while it would not necessarily be a place I'd choose to go myself I thought I'd better throw my tuppence in particularly after I read some rather absurd comments with regard to the peking duck with which I simply had to take umbrage.

As stated in previous reviews the restaurant is situated on the 4th floor of an older mall which has pretty much seen better days, it was not always thus!! The decor of the restaurant will not be to everyones taste and most certainly isn't to mine, it's busy, disjointed, tacky and overly fussy - very Chinese!! The restaurant like the mall is tired and not especially clean. Quickest way to get there is to either park on this floor (if driving) or take the lift, I mention this as the escalators are not always in action.

On the Monday evening we visited there was a table of expats (who spoke perfect Thai), some Singaporeans and a smattering of others in the general area; not particularly busy. They have a number of VIP rooms and we took over two of these (80th birthday party for aunty) that co-joined for about the 30 of us. The service was excellent and the food arrived in waves, clean plates appeared the lazy susan's were constantly re-arranged to give prominence to the new dishes and dips were refreshed - doting attention was paid to the kids and respect to the elders, I could not fault the service one bit.

In terms of the dishes, I'll comment on a selection of those I tried;

Peking Duck; skin was generous in size, devoid of all fat, light and crispy, the pancakes served with it were a cut above - it was at least excellent and If the surroundings had been more salubrious I would probably have described it as exceptional. The duck meat arrived separately and was dry from being deep fried so I passed on this, please note that as is the convention the duck meat can be prepared in the manner you choose! While I also prefer the UK style of Peking duck with the meat, fat and skin all in situ, personal preferences should in no way detract from the quality on offer here - at the end of the day this is the authentic version and was right up there...

Suckling Pig; I've rarely eaten this dish but to my mind it was delicious; the skin was beautifully crisp.

Prawns in mayonnaise/deep fried taro basket; excellent, loved it, again on the better end of my experience.

Char Siu Pork; excellent, large blocks of pork that were seasoned and caramelized, I'm not sure if this dish was a different slant of Char Siu/Moo Daeng or whether it was something altogether different, loved it either way...

Fried rice; good but run of the mill.

Red bean pancakes; tasted more like Roti than pancake and was all the more delicious for it.

In summary the food was excellent and a number of the older family members declared that this was their favorite Chinese restaurant. I read a previous comment about the Queen being an occasional visitor, I'd have no reason to doubt this as the privacy and size of the VIP rooms would easily facilitate this - in terms of dignitaries we had 3 MP's and a Senator there! I'm of the impression that this is without question an old school favorite and it certainly seems to resonate more with a more traditional audience than those who as looking for a more stylish contemporary occasion.

As for me, I may actually hold my nose with regard to the venue and venture back under my own steam; order judiciously and it's well worth the trip. Can't comment on cost.

Hope this helps!