“Only if you are a serious vegan”

Bonita Cafe and Social Club
Ranked #220 of 10,792 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Silom
Description: Pure vegan cafe/restaurant, serving pure vegan western dishes, managed by pure vegan ultra-marathoner. Non fast food. Home-hand-heart-made slow soul food. (good for vegan people, good for vegetarian people, and good for all people.)
“Only if you are a serious vegan”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

If you are a serious vegan and want to dine out your options are probably fairly limited so go try Bonita - it's a friendly place. Otherwise don't make the mistake we made and assume the high tripadvisor ranking means this a really special place for all too enjoy.

1 Thank BritBangkok

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Zurich
“At home in BKK”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have accidentially discovered this little gem when walking around in Bangkok. Excellent food, especially also when you're a vegetarian or vegan. You can feel the love being put into every detail by the two owners. Very sweet decoration.

2 Thank Pooji
Toronto, Canada
“great vegan reprieve from thai food”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

stopped in here on a recommendation from friends - that along with the tripadvisor reviews beckoned. I was not disappointed. I'm not vegan, but enjoyed this little cafe that sits fewer than 15 people. Warm welcome, friendly owners, and good food made this a great place to eat and hang out. In fact, I loved it so much I returned the next day for breakfast! Not your traditional thai restaurant, but that's part of its charm:)

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank SassyCdnFoodie
Chicago
“Very ordinary vegetarian food”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Three of us dined. I had a burger – OK with a very small amount of country style fries and a very small and simple salad of lettuce and a tiny amount of tomato. The burger had 2 dressings – one of which added texture but little taste. I would give the meal 3 out of 10. My mate had a vegetable curry. He gave the meal 3.5 out of 10. Our Thai friend had a pizza and his only comment was that it was small – but he liked the home style fries. I was embarrassed that we had taken our Thai friend out on a special occasion (he has a new job) and it felt like a flat experience when we wanted a celebration.

We all had Singha beer – which was cold.

The restaurant is small with a collection of old western style artefacts. The music was mainly from more than 40 years ago – including the Eagles and Beatles. Very main stream for that era.

I am mystified by the reviews on Trip Advisor for this restaurant – as visitors we could list a dozen better restaurants in Bangkok and yet at the time of our visit this restaurant was number 1 on Trip Advisor for Bangkok restaurants. This is a low-key aging hippie type restaurant with OK food. However, we found nothing above the average and it isn’t hard to get vegetarian food in Thailand.

2 Thank Joe_33
Edmonton, Canada
“Went for the food, left with an experience.”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I took our first trip to Thailand this past Christmas, at the end of our trip we stayed in Bangkok and relied on Trip Advisor for most everything we did, or ate. I try to eat vegan most of the time, but I was aware that coming to Thailand it could prove to be a little challenging. My husband is not a vegan or a vegetarian but does choose to eat ethically raised, local meats when he can. So when I did the search for Bangkok and Bonita Cafe came up as number one-a VEGAN restaurant I was thrilled!!!( I had become good at picking chicken out of curry, finding the indian food restaurants with vegetarian options and eating a ton of fruit and nuts!) So this was a welcome surprise. We located the spot and set out via train and foot to find the place.

Easy to find, given some of the descriptions from other reviewers. When we arrived we were the only customers, not a usual thing for a number 1 restaurant. But the treatment was brilliant, the owners were so kind, and hospitable. Our iced latte's were divine, and so was the conversation. I asked, "is it always like this?" And the response was, our customers are never predictable, but every so often its quiet, and then we can really share about our food! My husband ordered a curry and was a big fan, I opted for the teriyaki lentil burger and was amazed, it was delicious! We also shared the banana sorbet, and it tasted just like the kind my dad makes. Overall we ate great vegan food, enjoyed a quiet atmosphere, and really connected with a local family. This sort of dining experience is truly special, and rare. We literally felt like a guest in their home, which in a way we were. We were able to share stories, and experiences. If you are a traveller that likes to have authentic experiences that are meaningful than this spot is for you. This was one of our favourite evenings in Bangkok.

1 Thank capezio