“You get what you pay for”
Review of Shadow Inn

Shadow Inn
Ranked #945 of 1,387 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Don't expect much. The exterior looks like a prison, the interior isn't much better. In fact prisons are better equipped. Hard to find, and the area doesn't feel safe at night if you're alone. The single room had a bed only, not even a curtain on the window. It was 30 degrees at night and you can't open a window due to security/mosquitoes. The bathroom had no water the night I was there, I discovered after trying unsuccessfully to flush the toilet. Cold water showers only. There wasn't even a handbasin. I moved elsewhere after one night.

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Ok ok. It's dingy n dark and It's rough and ready but hey what do u expect for $5 for single room shared bathroom. Great location between Chinatown and trainstation. Albert the owner is a great guy n extremely helpful and I enjoyed plenty if laughs with him. If your on a budget n don't mind it roughing it check it out

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Eoghan F
Reviewed June 27, 2013

it was incredibly hard to find. Google maps was wrong so we spent a long time looking for it on the other side of Bangkok. Once you do find it, it's very conveniently located near a 7-11 (corner shop) and a 3 min walk from Chinatown.
The place is quite dirty and very basic. But we're students so we're used to that kinda thing and we're just happy with how cheap it is.
The owner is awesome. We had a few drinks with him in the evening and he was really laid back.
Overall great if you're a student. If you have any kind of class this isn't for you

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We didn't expect much for the price, but the reality was much worse than expected.
Disgusting, dirty, it seems that they never change the bedclothes. Fortunately, we stayed there only a couple of hours before the early flight to Yangoon. Very difficult to find, even the people living in the neighbourhood don't know the place. The only advantage was that the taxi driver couldn't find it as well so we didn't pay for the transportation. Don't stay there. It's possible to find better accommodation in Chinatown for the same price

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We expected the worse for this price but went for a cheap one night stay before taking the train the next day. Location near Chinatown and train station is good. Extremely hard to find though. Staff is nice but doesn't make up for very tiny, dirty, locked in rooms. Common bathrooms are unbelievable as there isn't as much as a sink. Even if you want to save on money, this is beyond bad so just pay a little extra for a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This place is a complete flop house. Let me preface that I wasn't expecting much, given that I wanted a bare-bones place just to sleep because my arrival was at BKK airport was around midnight and I was checking in at my much nicer and more expensive hotel around noon that next day. I figured since I'd only be there for 6 to 10 hours I didn't want to pay my usual $50 USD a day for only a third of a day. . I booked my room from at Shadow Inn through Agodo.com for $6.50. USD.

FIrst off, no one knew where this place was. I had about 8 taxi and airport officials trying to find it's location, so either this place is extremely hidden or thai officials can't read google maps print outs. After 45 minutes of standing around, as my poor taxi driver eventually felt comfortable to leave, we spent another 45 minutes asking tuk-tuk drivers and locals as to the Shadow Inn's whereabouts.

When we finally found the place, there was no obvious check-in desk. Only a side-room with two Indian gentlemen in plain clothing who looked to be quite occupied with facebook. One of them was the "manager" and the other apparently was just a friend. I was escorted tby the manager to my room which was little more than a desk and a bed Which I was fine with. There was only a fan but it was only about 80 degrees fahrenheit so I could handle it. I asked to see the shower which was crawling with ants. I also saw a small lizard which was unsettling. I took a quick shower and went back to my room.

If you look at the mattresses you will notice they are quite colorful, which I found to be unusual. Upon further inspection, I saw that these were children's beds and hard as a rock. I quickly went to bed at about 2:00AM and checked out at 8:00 hoping that my next hotel would allow for an early check-in.

If you do insist on coming here. please copy the phone number from the Shadow Inn's website because the maps and pictures from Trip Advisor and Facebook do nothing for the taxi drivers. I also took the liberty of posting their business card They need to call and be told first hand on how to get there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nick G
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I made a booking 6 weeks in advance for a double room, shared bathroom. After a night mare and 600 baht later trying to find the place I was informed that they had double booked, so I had to go into a mixed dormitory. I reluctantly obliged only to be put into an unsafe top bunk in a room which was grubby and stank. The temperature in that room was unbelievable, even with a fan blowing directly on to my head. After deciding to check out the following day I tried to get some sleep, only to be awoken by a rat!!it was running around the roof!! There was a small whole above my head in Which the rats nose protruded! Being a veterinary surgeon I am certain that this was a rat!! I checked out immediately with no refund. Not the start to my 4 months in thailand heading a spay project in one of their leading animal sanctuaries. I strongly advise that this is avoided!! Shambolic

Room Tip: First time travelling alone? Always read reviews, also book through booking.com as cash paid on arri...