“An evening treat!”

Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Fusion
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown / Yaowarat
Description: Nang Gin Kui is a private guerrilla dining lounge at Bangkok's amazing River Front spoiling guests with a million dollar river view.We serve thai fusion full-course dinner set menus including flowing beverages and wine pairing on selected evenings. Please email us if you are looking for a truly one-of-a-kind experience for special dinners and events. ** Reservation ONLY **
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Recently enjoyed the truly rich, new dining experience of Nang Gin Kui in Bangkok. The welcoming, relaxed & stylish environment overlooking the Chao Phraya River was the perfect setting to appreciate the ongoing array of mini-courses flowing from the kitchen complimenting the free-flowing wines & conversations with new friends. To share this restaurant experience in the company of other singles & couples was also refreshing & surprisingly rewarding. We will all surely be returning to Nang Kin Gui! Heartfelt thanks to Goi & Florian : )

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Excellent food and beverage, the most special experience you can get during your staying in Bangkok.
food and amazing people, and the sympathy of Florian made this dinner memorable,
Breath taking view.
You don't need anything else if you want to stay with the best memory of Bangkok.
Please try it!

1  Thank catarina b
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was recently invited to a dinner at Nang Gin Kui. The occasion, in fact, was my birthday. Quite plainly, the whole experience was simply excellent: the food was absolutely top shelf, the venue, impressive, and the service, was flatly, the best I've ever seen in Bangkok.

Before I continue my post, I should like to offer a brief disclaimer. I have lived in and out of Bangkok, for the past 30 years. Presently, I manage a restaurant myself. I am quite familiar with the cuisine, and have a rather acquired sense of expectations, in terms of dining in this town. Although I am a partner in one of the restaurants in the same neighborhood as Nang Gin Kui, I very rarely cook myself; I have lived out of restaurants in Bangkok, for the better part of 10 years now.

Florian and his team, put together a 10 course dinner for us, that was in brief, at least as good, if not better, than any other restaurant I have ever frequented in Bangkok. The food itself, was excellent, and the presentation was absolutely perfect. I have dined in most of the better restaurants in Bangkok at one time or another, some at absolutely exotic expense, but have never been more satisfied with either the quality of the food, nor the selection and order of the courses served. In brief, the whole process of the dining experience was done just right.

Let me point out, that there are a number of very highly rated restaurants in this town, most of which are extremely expensive, and starkly disappointing for most of us who really know their way around the dining options in Bangkok. In fact, I'm of the opinion that at the upper end of Bangkok dining, there is, almost across the board, a profound disconnect between cost and value. Plainly, there are lots of very expensive, and very mediocre restaurants. For those of us who live here, it is understood that most of the restaurants serving the best food, are rather unleavened in their decor; they sell excellent food, not presentation and setting.

Even for example, Nahm (located in the Metropolitan Hotel) which was awarded a Michelin star, and considered to be one of Asia's top 50 best restaurants, is in my opinion a lesser restaurant option by comparison. Admittedly, the food and the menu at Nahm are quite good, but certainly not better than Nang Gin Kui. The prices on the other hand, at Nahm, are next to ridiculous. And the service, is at best, okay. The dining room, is pleasant but offers no view, save for that of a room full of patrons who obviously have more money to spend on a night out, then an acquired understanding of Bangkok dining.

From a service standpoint, one must understand that in a traditional restaurant setting, your table is competing for attention with another 30 to 50 tables, at any given time (certainly, on a busy night). Similarly, the staff in the kitchen, is cooking not just for your table, but for the entire restaurant. Private dining just doesn't work that way: it's one table, one group, per night. The kitchen prepares food for only one table, and the staff focus there attention on only one group at a time. There's simply nothing else like it. If you want to sit down with a group of friends, for a truly exceptional dinner in a quiet setting, and receive absolutely top end service, private dining is the only way to go. The constraints of a traditional restaurant setting, simply preclude that type of excellence in service. In this respect, Nang Gin Kui is flatly the best in Bangkok.

And then there's the view. Nang Gin Kui is located in a residential building, in the north east corner, on the 15th floor, overlooking the Chao Praya River. The view is simply spectacular. The river itself, is in my opinion, hands down, the most compelling feature of this town: it is in fact, the very reason, why Bangkok is situated where it is. It is a thing of sublime beauty; there's simply nothing like it in this city.

There are also a number of restaurants set on top of some of the tallest buildings in town, but there is a distinction to be made here: as for a finer view, altitude can not make up for lack of content. For example, the Banyan Tree Hotel has a restaurant on the roof, on the 61st floor, called Virtigo. Their website claims that the view is both "breathtaking and panoramic". I’ve been there too. At night, the view is hardly "breathtaking" - it's dizzying and vague. The view is savagely overrated; it lacks content and is too high up to allow the viewer to connect with anything. It reminds me more, of looking down on a city, from the vantage point of an airplane. And as a side note, by the way, Virtigo is an excellent example of what I referred to above, as a disconnect between price and value. Nang Gin Kui on the other hand, has a view that is a rich and settling (and if you're there early, the sunsets are perfection).

Let me wrap up by saying, that if you're just after good food, there are plenty of good restaurants in Chinatown (Yaowarat) and along the river, north of Bangrak, most of which are rather frenetic, and usually quite busy, especially on the weekends. Most of those which come to mind, are outdoors and a bit rough. They're noisy and the service usually falls somewhere between okay and desperate. But if you want to sit down with a group of friends and have a really nice dinner in a setting where everyone can relax, and just hang out together, with some of the best food this town has to offer, in a classic neighborhood, Nang Gin Kui is what you want. This is it. Even the priciest restaurants around Sukumvit or Bangrak simply cannot offer you something comparable. Nang Gin Kui, overall, is the best restaurant in Bangkok.

9  Thank Michael O
Florian_Gypser, Owner at Nang Gin Kui - Bangkok Private Dining, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Dear Michael,

What an awesome review from a highly respected guest and expert in the Bangkok restaurant field! I remember you telling you would write your opinions down on TA but who would expect such an article!

We are truly thrilled after reading through and just look forward to have you again soon,

Sending lots of love and wishing you and your gang an enjoyable Sunday in Bangkok,

Yours sincerely, Florian & Team Nang Gin Kui

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Getting a reservation in advance was a must and I had read many reviews of this private dining experience on many websites. I wasn't sure if it was a private dining club or how private dining worked. We showed up at the Sheraton Orchid Riverside at the designated time and there were others who were waiting around, but none of us we sure who would be picking us up. In walks a tall and smiling man and he introduces us as Florian and asked if we were waiting for the private dining experience.

When our group was gathered, we all took a short walk through an amazing part of Chinatown filled with food cart vendors and produce stalls, a walk through an Indian Festival which happened to be taking place during our evening and we made it to a nondescript building. When we reached the top floor and followed Florian through the entrance to his private home we were greeted with an amazing view of the river, the smells of delicious Thai food being cooked, and smiling faces of the chef and assistant.

12 courses including drinks and ample opportunity to mingle with our new found friends. We met couples from all over the world of all ages and from the most interesting backgrounds. We were seated Thai Style on the floor on comfortable cushions (dress comfortable shorts and light cotton shirts as this is not a FORMAL place). From that point after the cocktail hour we were seated and the food started flowing. Dish after dish prepared before our eyes and as fresh as fresh can be

We can't thank Florian and his family enough for hosting us in this once in a lifetime dining experience. Glad we added it to our bucket list and were able to get in during our visit to Bangkok.

1  Thank brianDenver
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Very hard to find the place but once you arrive there, u were absolutely will be amazed from the spatecular view. The bespoke Thai food acompany with free fliw wine and beer. Its awesome. But the price is a bit too pricy though.

1  Thank Damita P