“Good Food but Service Not Great”

Aldo's Mediterranean Bistro and Wine Bar
Ranked #1,619 of 10,782 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Sathorn
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Food but Service Not Great”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The food quality was good but the famous Thai service smiles were sorely absent.

The guest next to our original table was speaking so loudly that we couldn't hear ourselves think! We asked for a table change and the "lead" waitress didn't seem to be happy about it. I noticed she had a perpetual "unhappy" face throughout our visit.

• Visited March 2013

Adelaide
“Very relaxed and easy going atmosphere with great food”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I enjoyed a great Italian meal at Aldos. The service staff were friendly and there was a nice buzz to the place. Good menu and wine list. We loved the poolside dining area, very comfortable. Will go there again as we were made to feel very welcome.

• Visited February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Atas but otherwise average”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

So, I've been really excited about my most recent trip to Bangkok. One of the reason is that me and my gf will be coming to this restaurant (which was found online by her) at Ascott Hotel for my birthday. The only problem we faced was that this hotel isn't really well-known to the locals (I'm not sure why too), and taxi drivers couldn't pick up what we were saying. Fortunately, our hotel staffs assist us with the booking and translation, and we managed to come here. Even so, the taxi driver had to charge us not by meter, which is very common especially for unfamiliar and crowded area.

So finally we came to this hotel, really grand and beautiful, mostly occupied by business-class people. We went to the restaurant and stood outside for quite awhile. No staff came to us (a few saw us but didn't bother about us), and we had to go inside ourselves. The entire restaurant was empty, except for the poolside, which was occupied by a few tourists. It wasn't really what we had expected as we thought there should be more diners. But I put it aside as I thought it was a Sunday afterall, and maybe most of them will be shopping or dining outside.

The service was actually alright, staffs were quite friendly and approachable. However, the wait for the food wasn't too pleasing. Was approximately half an hour or longer when the entire restaurant was actually not that full. Still, I put it aside as I felt that maybe my order (Veal Tortellini) required time to prepare.

Overall, the experience was fine, but I felt that it was a little overrated. The food weren't that cheap (I understand due to the fine dining), but the irony thing is we couldn't feel that ambience. And the food was also not as great as many had claimed.

The moral: Only dine here if you're staying within the hotel, or you're living nearby. Also, I felt that we went there at a wrong time, hence the weird atmosphere. Perhaps, a Friday or Saturday night will be a better choice. :-)

• Visited February 2013
“Unusual and romantic”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Two years since we last visited and prices now quite high, but still just about worth it for the lovely setting by the swimming pool and the very romantic 'cabanas'. Quality of food excellent - our starters of soft shell crab with generous avocado best ever. I had to send my mixed grilled seafood back however as most of it was cold with just one piece piping hot; could therefore see why, having to wait for the 'hot piece' ! But soon rectified. My wife wanted red wine, and I white, so we each had a 500 ml carafe of our house choice, both of which were very acceptable. With a dessert, the total bill (including the ++) came to 4,400 baht. Fully recommend for an occasional romantic night out.

• Visited January 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good food, Good Service, Ambiance so and so!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I been there one month ago. The food was not bad ( only the pasta was lil bit overcooked), the service staff was good, the only thing that i didn't like is the ambiance. The restaurant was empty, not much customers. Not a really good wine list. Nice pool outside.

• Visited December 2012