“A unique and local Thai experience”

SSIP Boutique Dhevej Bangkok
Ranked #11 of 670 Bangkok B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A unique and local Thai experience”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at SSIP for two nights recently with my girlfriend and absolutely loved it. I had visited Bangkok many times in the past and always stayed in a variety of hotels closer to the touristy shopping area (Silom/Sukhumvit). At SSIP you get a truly unique Thai experience that isn't colored by the standard tourist lens. The building itself is beautifully restored and decorated with colonial furniture from the early 1900s, taking you back in time the moment you step inside. The rooms are very comfortable and all of the linens and furnishings are top notch (we slept extremely well). The service is quite personalized (my girlfriend wanted to buy a grater to make papaya salad and one of the women went to a local market near her home and picked up three) and you'll feel like you're in good hands the entire time. The highlight by far though is the Thai breakfast, which is unlike any of the standard hotel buffets you see at most Western hotels. It's made to order and there are plenty of delicious savory and sweet options (see attached pictures). While the hotel isn't situated close to the BTS, it's a short walk to the river where you can take a boat ride to the Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Wat Pho, etc. Also, taxis are rather inexpensive in the city (even when they try to rip you off it's not too bad, especially compared to most Western cities).

All in all we highly recommend SSIP!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dave L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
TPE
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed in SSIP Boutique for one night, not very long, but it's already enough for me thinking over and over. This is my third time to BKK, "SSIP" means to me is not a place to live, and it's a memory bring me back to my grandmother's hug. Comfort, clean, quite human touch, the wood floor with more than a generation history, tradition "Thai" breakfast with surprise, each woody furniture with countless stories.

If you want to find a place to stay, it will just like your second "home" or you could call "A home away from home". Staff in hotel will talk to you like your family. When I had difficulties in turning TV on, their staff came taught me with nice smile instead of teaching me through phone line with cold voice. What attract me most is their woody floor, stepping barefoot comes with a feeling of release. Heard from hotel staff, the woody floor was from hotel owner's passing away grandmother's house. Hence, the whole building makes me thinking of my grandmother's era, cherishing the past, happy , simple, comfort time.

If you search for an experience to feel anicient Thai life, choose "SSIP", it won't let you down. For me, it's just like a home away from home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Tracy_Chiu
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have been to Bangkok for several times. Each time I stay in different hotels.This is the only one that I want to go back again because it's a warm place like grandma's house full of old memory and colonial style. The best part of it is the "people" - service quality is so good that makes you feel like home. The owner is an MBA graduate who choose to be herself and to fullfill her dream. I think it is quite special, when many B-school graduates,like me, are buried in financial numbers and presentaion slides everyday.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Eric C
Mildura, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed here one month and it was really lovely. Ssip Hotel is not in the normal tourist areas but in a nice part of the real Thailand. It is a beautiful hotel, brand new and very tastefully set out and furnished. It is run by cultured, educated very helpful family people with exceptionally well trained staff. There are no problems with the hotel at all. But the best thing for me is the great position. It is near the Thewet ferry terminal for easy travel on the river and there are buses and taxis outside the door. On two sides of the road just around the corner are stalls selling any kind of food and local eating places inside the markets. Best of all is it is just about next door to a fantastic noodle soup restaurant where it seems half of Bangkok eats every day. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in, and that is the truth.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely but on the road end the traffic is a bit noisy in the daytime.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Rosie J
Taipei
Reviewed October 23, 2012

As my first trip in Bangkok, I did have a lot of fabulous memories from SSIP. They offered more precious experience beyond five-star hotels. If you're a person who really like to discover culture of a city, enjoy having meal with local tradition, then, SSIP will definately be first rate boutique hotel in Bangkok! There are most friendly and enthusiastic staffs, always providing me the most abundant information to travel in the city. What's more, you can't miss the unforgettable breakfast here. They offer different breakfast related to Thai culture as a surprise everyday! You'll see a lot of cute, tiny weaving stuff in your dishes as a decoration. It never occured to me that SSIP is so attentive to details. Furthermore, the hotelier is a very easygoing, and good-looking young lady, she speaks English and Chinese very well! If you're still looking for place to stay in Bangkok, I'm sure SSIP will be an unregrettable decision. The most important thing are: 1. You'll definately sleep very well, because it's very clean. 2. It takes only 10 minutes (within 65 THB) to get to the city center. Highly-recommanded, I can't wait to go back again!

旅館十分乾淨、安全,離最熱鬧的逛街區域Siam Paragon等百貨公司只需10分鐘車程,搭計程車65泰銖可抵達,非常便利,離著名景點大皇宮也很近。旅館本身就是個泰國文化的美好展示,對於行程中沒有足夠時間體驗泰國文化的人,更會是很棒的選擇,因為透過居住的經驗,就可以體驗豐富的泰國文化,並享受可愛的驚喜。旅館主人通中英文,也收藏了許多具有故事性的古董,讓人欣賞,每天的早餐更是讓人難忘。無論一個人、一群朋友自助旅行、家庭旅行、蜜月或出差,都非常適合。

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Yinru_Tu
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I spent my time in bkk with business trip, and found this hotel from my friends. The SSIP is more than wonderful . Location is easy to reach, I can find food and stuff just in few walking distance. The best thing is the room that very clean and comfort. The rooms are decorated with various decorating items even in the same room type, in colonial atmosphere. Breakfast is deeply great, I was asked to choose on my favorite choice. The owner's so lovely with full of service mind, make me feel like home staying with family members. Promise to be back again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Piriya
United States
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Our stay in Bangkok was a delight, especially because of our enjoyable stay at SSIP Boutique. The folks warmly welcomed us and were incredibly thoughtful in recommending sights and restaurants. They also continuously volunteered to help gather information about our other travels like going to the Bus Terminal and looking into train schedules. Breakfast was amazing! Yummy and so beautifully presented. Room was incredibly comfortable. The attention to detail made our stay wonderful. We will definitely be staying here again when we return to Bangkok! Thank you!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple