“Location is good, but hotel needs alot of work”
Review of The Emerald Hotel

The Emerald Hotel
Ranked #418 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed here in January 2013. Requested a non smoking room and was given a room that was filled with cigarette smoke so much that we as non smokers could not breathe. We left the door open and requested another room. It took them one hour before they could locate another room for us. We had to stand in the hallway while they "attempted" to find us another room because of the smell. The carpet in the hallways desperately need a good steam clean, they were filthy! When we were given another room, we had to go to the front desk to get the key after being told to wait in our room. I guess no one cared to offer the customer service in coming to us instead. The second room we were assigned had no cigarette smoke but it was apparent the cleaning staff did not do a thorough job as the previous guest's undergarment was still hanging on the chair. The thermostat on the wall does not work, you need to use the device close to the phone to adjust temperature. Would have been helpful if they removed the non functional thermostat on the wall or put a sign so other guests would not get frustrated when they cannot get the temperature to what they would like.

The shower curtain had mold on it.

The staff was not friendly at all. They are just there to do their job, nothing more and quite indifferent. There was no apology at all for the first room and no follow up to ensure that the second room was satisfactory. Therefore do not expect great customer service.

Room Tip: Even though you request a non smoking.. insist when checking in that it is a non smoking room and it...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cindy433

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The serving staff in the coffee house opposite the reception counter were incredibly unfriendly and their sour faces most certainly tarnished the good name of Thai hospitality. One particular lady in a dark suit presumably the supervisor was the worse!

Room Tip: Please choose another hotel. Strongly not recommended
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank davechua57
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here more than 15 times over 20 years and always liked it but this time the smiles have gone to be replaced by indifference. Screwed up check in after I paid in advance, holes in the bedsheets and the thai food in the coffee shop twice the price and half as good as it used to be. Time to find another hotel?

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I was on a business trip. This hotel must have been very nice one back in the 90s. But it needs refurnishing already. The type of furnishing is too outdated. I just couldn't make myself feel at home throughout my stay.
The rooms are clean. I stayed in two different rooms during my stay. Both room smells like they have not been properly ventilated especially when the aircond is on. So it must be the ac unit n general lack of ventilation. I had to open my room door for as long as i can to help let the air out but it doesnt help much.
Water heater malfunction for the sink, for one of the rooms that i was in; hot water only.
I did not drink the complimentary glass bottled water after i tried one coz they tasted funny. Have to buy proper bottled water from 7-11 which is right behind the hotel.
They provided iron n ironing board upon request. I requested twice and both times they were brought to me promptly. But both times the boards were simply a board, very old board with almost no sponge, n badly stained. Can't they even invest a little on new ones? :(
Other things are fine though.
Plenty of tv channels, the always customer friendly Thai service, massage service. .
Breakfast choice of food, below average and the same every day for a whole week. Did not try room service because my appetite would have been ruined by the musty and damp air. I normally like to call for one. But no, not here.
Location, could have been better, but depends on your liking. Five minutes walk to the subway train that goes anywhere you like. Massage parlor/centres/shops from low end to high end are few steps away, but to go to shopping places, you need to take the train.
Summary : This hotel is too old fashioned in furnishing for my liking. Badly aired. I won't stay here again if I have it my way. Have stayed in way better ones in Bangkok before.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Travel back in time to the 70s at this very large, classically tacky hotel. The rooms are refurbished and comfortable. Everything is fine but certainly not 4 or 5 star. The area is not great. The hotel is surrounded by massive massage parlours and casanos (sic) which are all brothels; barely disguised. My stay was ironic given I was at a women's health conference in a hotel nestled amongst massive sex worker parlours. There is nothing else near the hotel - and a walk down the street (to nowhere) is unbearable due to the traffic and pollution. Downtown is a long way - at least 30 minutes in a taxi. There is a train station across the road but it's too difficult to cross the road!

Room Tip: Stay at the Banyan Tree!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Buffett breakfast has good variety and the food is good. I also ordered room service one night (Thai food) and it is probably the best room service I have ever had (I travel extensively). And I ate at Wine 99 one night and both the wine and food were good. The staff is very helpful. The fitness center is extensive, and I wish I could have taken advantage of the yoga class. Don't bother with the spa--it is bare bones and expensive. I paid 700 baht for a pedicure which was little more than a polish off polish on deal. Expensive for Thailand. There was no music, and I felt like I was sitting in a rundown back office somewhere.

The rooms smell a little musty, and the phone didn't work most of the time. When it did (and I'm just talking about calling within the hotel) the connection was awful. I was confused by the one bit of high tech--there was a central device by the bed to operate the lights. I didn't realize until the 3rd night that it also operated the temperature in the room. No wonder the prominently placed dial temperature control did nothing! Duh.

There was one 3 prong American style plug in the room. The plug in the bathroom didn't work at all. The plug by the desk coud accept two prong American cords (like for my iPhone).

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Emerald feels like an older hotel. The staff is really nice and helpful. The guest rooms are adequate. It's clean and has everything you need. The one big problem is mold. The humidity does a number on vacant rooms. You'll notice the smell and damp air when you first open the door to your room. However, the A/C works quite well. Just run it for about an hour and you should be good.

Breakfast is not bad here. They offer the typical breakfast fair, complete with made to order omelette/fried eggs, as well as a variety of Asian breakfast choices. The fried rice is pretty good, even better when you get an over-easy egg on top.

Room Tip: The Emerald does not have a convenience store in the hotel. However, if you go out the lobby door...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo