“Nice big rooms, good location”

Best Western Premier Sukhumvit
Ranked #162 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 28, 2013

In thailand for a holiday my sister and i stopped a week in Bangkok to have some dentistry done and stayed at the Best Western Premier after booking a wot room on wotif.

The positives: the rooms are quite big, and the hotel seems quite new. It's very conveniently located for BTS - right near Ploen Chit & not far from Nana station. There are night markets right around the corner on soi sukhumvit and the hotel is only a few meters from Bumrungrad hospital, which is a great landmark to tell a taxi tour guide or tuk tuk driver.

The rooftop pool & bar is beautiful, though it closed very early at 10pm (early for Bangkok?) so we were only able to use it once. I would have loved to use the pool more, but getting around takes forever because of traffic, so it was hard to make it back to the hotel in time after a day of activities.The gym didn't seem finished, all the machines had plastic wrapping on them, so i regret taking up suitcase space with gym gear!

The entire hotel is non smoking (nice) unfortunately our room had no balcony and no view and i imagine the rest of the hotel would be the same.
The bathrooms are lovely, the hot water works for as long as you need. The aircon was nice and cold and easily controlled.

On several occasions our stay was hampered by our lack of Thai language skills, as the staff at the hotel were not great with english. Fair enough, we are the foreigners and should make the effort, still it was unexpected for a 5 star hotel.

We originally booked for 3 nights, and when we called the reception to enquire about extending our stay they told me the wrong check out date, and also would not do anything for us on their rack rate and recommended we book again on Wotif. Long story short, we ended up having double booked with 2 rooms on one night instead of 1 room for 2 nights - and half a day was lost trying to sort things out. In the end, Wotif changed the booking for us as the hotel would not.
We extended our stay twice as we were lazy to pack and move, and both times we had to check out and check back in, a slight inconvenience, but, inconvenient nonetheless.
A few times during our stay our room keys randomly stopped working and we would find ourselves locked out. Also there were 2 of us sharing a room, so we had 2 keys, but each time the cleaners came they would take one of the keys back, and it took 3 days for me to figure this out. I thought i was losing my mind and had lost 3 room keys!
Room service was difficult to order due to language barrier, on the first occasion they got our order completely wrong, but sort of fixed it when we called. The second time the order was right but the food was just blergh...But why order sandwiches when you are in Bangkok and the world's best street food is at your doorstep?
We seemed to drop off the cleaning schedule after a couple of days and our room went uncleaned for 4 days despite having the 'please make up my room' sign on. I eventually called and asked for someone to make up the room, which they came and did while we were still getting ready to go out (awkward).
The hotel advertises they have a Tuk Tuk for guests but when we tried to ask the concierge about it he always just offered to get us a cab.
For the price we paid i was happy with this hotel, but although the facilities, rooms and location are great, we felt the service let them down from being 5 star as advertised.

Room Tip: get around via BTS Skytrain, the traffic is so heavy in this area that a taxi or tuk tuk can be a re...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Yas_01

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Well, when I arrived, there was a complimentary tuk-tuk service to pick us up at soi 1. The bellboy was extremely friendly when we arrived and carried our luggage up. He did the same thing for us too when we were leaving the hotel. I forgot to take down his name. He deserved the compliment. I loved the extremely speedy internet, the rooftop pool (although it's a little small), the enormous room and I felt it's worthy for what I have paid for. It's about 10 - 15 minutes walk to PloenChit MRT Station. Anyway, the most disappointing thing is the access card. On the first day, after a long day, when I wanted to scan the lift access card back to my room, the elevator did not recognise it, and therefore I had to refer to the frontdesk (they were very helpful). On the 2nd day, after my swim, the same thing happened when I was drenched wet in my swimming pants. I couldn't access the lift back to my room on the 7th floor after the swim. Under that kind of embarassing condition, I had to walk to the frontoffice to get the card being reset again. They were helpful, but I felt like an alien being watched by other guests. I sent feedback to the hotel, they said they will take note and that's about it. I guess the frontdesk manager is in fact lack of sense of humanity and empathy, and only told me that they will take my feedback for future reference, instead of referring it as a complaint. I am doubtful if I will stay with them (Best Western) again - as I feared the same thing will happen again. Yet, they have the best beds I've ever slept on, and the memory of having the outstanding bellboy is unforgettable :). He is the only one whom bothered of our luggage throughout the check-in and check-out process.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nikalaos
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Highly recommended. I stayed at this hotel as I had a family member recovering in the Bumrungrad International Hospital, which is literally across the alleyway. The staff was very welcoming and were extremely accommodating as I had to extend my stay twice due to an unknown discharge date from the hospital. Hotel is very modern and rooms were very spacious. Breakfast buffet was very good with a lot of variety. Rooftop pool area was beautiful and very relaxing. Taxis and tuk Tuks are readily available at the hospital. Phloem Chit BTS station is about 500m away. Hospital food court serves wide variety if Thai food, Star Bucks also located in hospital

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This place started out as a great find, but their service quickly erased anything good this place had going for it.

We flew into Thailand, on a moments notice, and booked the hotel via online last minute, based on location, and lack of availability of our first choices. I had never stayed in a Best Western "Premeir", but know the brand, and figured it would be clean, comfortable, with good service (especially in Asia, where I have found the best service int he world regardless of star rating).

Upon check-in everything was cool. The hotel was nicer than I expected, and so was the room. It was comparable to other 4 and 5 Star spots I've stayed at in Bangkok. So we were happy. Inexpensive compared to where we wanted to stay, clean, comfortable, and nice.

We stayed for 6 nights, and each day we stayed, we started to notice the cracks in the first impression. The concierge desk was a joke. I mean, a laughable joke, at lease at first. The conceirge staff had no idea about their own city, and at first their effort to find out was admirable, but the rest of their team didnt care to help, nor did they seem to be able to use the computer in front of them.

After a two days and multiple requests not being followed through with, or getting the information, dealing with the incompetency stopped being funny, and started getting very irritating.

The final straw was the late checkout request. We started the request process (yes it was a process), two days before we left, as we figured since anything besides checking someone in, or cleaning a room seemed like a new experience for the staff, that we would give them ample time to take care of it. Upon our initial request, they said they could give us an extra hour even though we explained we were flying out at 11pm.

When we asked them to check with the manager they said would, and get back to us. We never heard back from them, or the manager. That evening, we followed up again, and got the same response, that the manager would get back to us. Then the next day after never getting a call, spoke to the same person that we spoke to the day before, and were told that the manager never called us because he was on leave. So we asked to speak to the duty manager, who ended up also not being there, and were told he would be there that evening. We never got a follow up, and when we followed up that night, we found a rude, dismisive and arrogant memeber of staff, who refused to call anyone to help us, and actually told me that I "talk to much" and I should just go to my room.

I was blown away, but since by this time it was obvious no one really cared about our request, nor did they understand customer service, and the fact that we were leaving the next day I decided to drop it.

Unfortunately, the team at this Best Western has done a great job and destroying the Best Western name in Thailand.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank GlobalDMT
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I switched from Citadines Soi 11 which had a strange feeling to it.

I used my BW rewards card and got an instant upgrade to a Studio ( suite)

Room styling is amazing, large bathroom etc .... Small room as u enter with settee and TV

Free wifi is great ... Free breakfast adequate .... Room service menu us extensive

Pool area nice....

All in all a great 4 star hotel at a great rate !!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A nice business hotel with a welcoming relaxing feel. Friendly helpful staff and good spacious rooms. Nice swimming pool and lovely reception area. The traditional Thai food seemed rather Westernized though.

It's worth noting that it's a 15 minute shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed on business for 3 days. It is located out of the busy Sukhumvit area, 10 min from the Ploen Chit skytrain, in a small street close to a major hospital. Despite the proximity to the hospital, it is a calm environment. The rooms are a bit old fashioned decorated (my impression) but the hotel common areas are nice. Staff very attentive. Breakfast is simple compared to other 4 star hotels, got a bit disappointed however ,lunch and dinner plates are good though, simple but well prepared.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business