“Fantastic location, great staff but very noisy at night” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel California

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
Hotel California
Ranked #325 of 604 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Brussels
“Fantastic location, great staff but very noisy at night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Booked through booking.com, and got a much better deal than the rack price.

The ups: The location is fantastic. Very close to the skytrain but tucked away on a quiet side street. The bed was huge and comfortable, the shower had decent pressure. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The downs: The room could've been cleaned a bit more thoroughly. There was a lot of noise coming from within the building late at night and early in the morning. Every time someone closed the door, walked down the hallway or flushed the toilet, it sounded like they were right in our room.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
Maastricht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Hotel California is located quite in Sukhumvit Soi 30 and a great base to explore the town. The Skytrain BTS Station Phrom Phong is just a short walk away. The friendly staff can provide a lot of advice about how to travel around in Bangkok and about visiting attractions. The rooms are quite nice as well, working air-condition, TV, a fridge and a safe for valuable belongings. The bathroom was alright and somewhat typical for an asian budget hotel. I enjoyed my stay and would come back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andy_Kelong
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Brooke and her staff really make this place a great budget friendly option in an unbeatable location. As others have mentioned the hotel is a short walk to the BTS, and Soi 30 is a quiet little street where you can relax after spending a day exploring the wonderful chaos of Bangkok. I had family members staying at the hotel, some of whom aren't the most experienced of travelers, but they felt very comfortable and were appreciative of how the staff always looked to take care of their needs. If you have a chance, the very friendly guy who works the night shift recently came to Thailand from Myanmar, and very admirably he works on improving his English at night when things are quiet, so strike up a conversation with him if you can.

Some other nice features of the hotel include free wireless, some tables outside where you can have a drink or two in quiet settings, 24 hour service (important when you arrive in the middle of the night like many travelers do in Bangkok), and people who will help rectify and problems you might experience during your stay. It's important to note that like any budget hotel you may experience minor problems like a lack of hot water perhaps, but if that does occur the staff will fix it or try to move you to a different room so if someone is reasonable in their expectations I think they'll be very pleased with their stay. All in all a great base for exploring Bangkok with a staff who will remember you when you return.

Room Tip: We found that rooms on the lower floor were better and the staff was quick to change if it was possi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Adam S
Mangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

We were on a short business trip to Thailand. Didn't have much time to look and book a hotel room in advance. But with some research found this hotel which had pretty decent reviews. I didn't book it online but sent them an e-mail about my arrival. We arrived early morning and found a person on the help desk who was quite helpful in getting us a room although there was some initial confusion. We paid 1100 baht which I could have got for 800 baht if we had booked it online.The room was pretty decent and had all the facilities but a little congested. We were exhausted with our traveling and caught some really good sleep. Later, we met the owner Brooke who is extremely helpful & cheerful and helped us out with a lot of stuff.
We had to leave to Phuket the very same day but on our return we got a very good deal for a single room which was spacious.

Overall, I liked the vibe, the location and staff. Sometimes, these things make a lot of difference than just luxury and comfort.

So yes, most probably I will be coming back to the same hotel in future. Thumbs Up (y)

Room Tip: Room A1 is spacious !
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I arrived late and staying overnight en route to Sukhothai. The hotel is rundown with a smell. Worse, my room was infested by Mosquitoes that bit me in the middle of the night, making me lose sleep. The aircon is not functioning and smelly. The person on duty is really helpful and moved me to another room which was okay. But it was a hassle to move in the middle of the night. It was so noisy - the doors kept shutting even at 2am!

I initially booked two more stays in January and February, but cancelled both stays. It is a shame. It could have been a good value in a good location. Service is not bad too. But the maintenance was awful.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here from 9th to 12th and extended my stay till 13th. Its the second time I'm there. Overall I love this place. Walk-able distance to Phrom Phong BTS if u're lazy just hop on the bike taxis to this place in Soi 30. The owner was kind enough giving me discount on my extended stays and both of the counter guys are helpful. Of cuz I'll be back here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I wish I would have a chance to had a good experience like other reviewers but it wasn't my case.
The person en charged of this hostel had no clue of what a good customer service was, he didn't even say hi to us when we arrived or walked by him (like 10 times) He look very unhappy.
We were very frustrated with him, even though we tried really hard to understand his english but we couldnt communicate, maybe this place is ok if you have no complaints at all and you dont care how you are treated.
I'm not blaming him for not speaking english, I just wished his english level were higher to solve problems and not get frustrated with the customer and scream at them. I hope the owner read this review and realize that things without him are not the same.
We tried really hard to get in touch with the owner to let him know about our issues at his hostel but the gentleman in the lobby didn't care about our feelings. He didn't want to give us the owners email or phone number. We also asked him to call the owner but he refused to do it. What are you supposed to do in situations like this, where people do not understand your complaints. His easy solution was to leave the hotel if we weren't happy. We initially planned on staying there for 2 weeks (that's a great business for a small place like this) but we didn't get offer a better price for a longer stay. I'm glad they didn't offer a better rate otherwise we would have been stuck in there for 2 weeks dealing with this guy and the mean housekeeper that we never had a talked with her but she was rude, as well.
Besides the horrible experience, this place needs a major deep cleaning. there is dust in the beds (the mattress was comfy though) but the shower is pretty much next to the toilet so it gets really messy when you shower and you can barely move.
Also, this is not a place if you want to rest, you can hear the sound of everything happening next door. They should provide with earplugs.
Do yourself a favor and find a better place for the same price that you would pay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Brooke J, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
This customer and his South American girlfriend were the type of customer that want everything for nothing... They were already getting a discounted rate of 800baht per night for a King bed room, but they wanted even lower. When they didn't get it they said they were going to check out, but instead went ahead and made a second booking.... I ask if things were so bad why did you make 2 AGODA bookings???? That just doesn't make sense or correlate back to the comments you made on here and Agoda.... I don't think I need to say anymore!