“A horrible experience.”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #366 of 710 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I travelled to Bangkok along with my wife and teenaged son on 8 May 2013. A week earlier, I had emailed the hotel requesting for confirming reservation of a three-bed family room. When we arrived at the hotel at 4am in the morning, we found a young Thai man, who spoke no English, snoozing at the reception. I politely woke him up and showed our room confirmation on my lap top. The young man spent about 15 minutes looking at the hotel's register but could not find our names. He went and woke up the owner of the hotel: a middle-aged Australian lady, who agreed to provide accommodation for us in two separate rooms until noon when she promised to transfer us to a large room with three beds. Me and my wife went to our room; I kept my baggage and came out to the reception where my son was waiting. The Australian woman at this stage harshly accused me of using four-letter words when speaking to the young Thai receptionist. Of course, a person of my age and academic background would never ever think of being rude to anyone, and using four-letter words, which i never did, was out of the question. The lady warned that if I ever used any vulgar words with her staff she would throw us out of her hotel. I simply struggled to explain my position to her without any success. Finally, the three of us decided to leave the place expecting more trouble. I had been to many redneck places before, but Hotel California, located in Thailand, was a horrible experience to me, and particularly my teenaged son, who had never before come across such behavior from a hotelier.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pris0ner
Brooke J, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

This customer had sent an originial gmail booking request (not booking.com or agoda etc), I sent him back 2 prices but he never responded with a confirmed booking. Then turned up at our hotel at 4am and of course the room was full.

I have amazing Thai staff who explained to me that when they advised him this he started yelling four letter words at them and they felt intimidated by this man.

I gave them 2 rooms to sleep in that night and then by 10am had moved lovely willing customers from his room to another room with my staff moving their stuff. I went to his current room to advise him that we'd bent over backwards to have his room ready by 10am the next morning only to be slapped with a we're checking out.

I let him leave with no fuss. Sometimes no matter what you can't make some people happy and this was one of those customers.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Don't be put off by the name or the sign outside !! This is real little gem in the heart of Sukhumvit ... conveniently situated between Phrom Phong & Thong Lor on the BTS, you can find everything here from vintage dresses on sale outside, great lavazzo coffee, bagels, flatscreen tv, air-con, kettle (although would be better without ants inside ;-)) Brooke is the perfect host, friendly, helpful, total "can-do" attitude so hard to find sometimes in Thailand ;-) I will definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone coming to Bangkok, where it can be daunting, this is a real home from home.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Zoë J
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I just checked in to this hotel today and found out that the staff need to know how to run the hospitality business. I booked through latestays.com with a small amount of deposit which I have to pay the rest at the hotel. When I arrived, there is no one to check me in. I have to wait for a while until a man appeared. Then I handed him a copy of the booking that I printed out from my email. He asked, "What is this?" I explained that it is a booking from latestays.com, but he doesn't know what is it. He didn't even know what to do with me since he only knows 2 travel agents, booking.com and agoda. He kept saying he just got back from his days off and didn't know anything much. I again explained about the rate I have to pay, which is not the full price. He still affirmed that I must pay the whole amount. He said to me that the owner, currently on a trip to Laos, told him to do so. Then, I contacted latestays.com to confirm with the hotel about the rate. Quite a waste of time until I get my room. Staff need to be trained about how to deal with different situations. Because I have a clearly stated confirmation letter, he should let me check in a long time ago. My first impression to the hotel -- a bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Do not book through any weird name travel agent because the staff only know booking.com and agoda. Q...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

In response to your review, I'd like to say yes my staff had a little struggle to understand a new booking form they'd never seen before. But everyone is human, and they now understand that they have to deduct the deposit paid to the booing company.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and were upgraded to a standard room free of charge because of an overbooking. The hotel owner is super nice and friendly. The rooms are comfortable, everything worked and it was clean. Close to Phrom Phong BTS, Emporium mall and you can take the BTS to Asoke to get to Terminal 21 which has an amazing food court. Definitely will stay here again.

Room Tip: Unless you are small adults, chose a standard room. Economy is a bit small but perfect for 1 person.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

My Scottish friends and myself booked into this brand new bijou hotel in an exceptionally convenient location in central Bangkok, near the BTS train system (overground metro) for easy access to all of Bangkok (except Grand Palace and Khao San road area - no public transport apart from buses). Brooke made us exceptionally welcome, helping us move rooms and upgrade to accommodate an extra traveller. She is a very friendly owner operator and takes personal interest and pride in delivering the best service and cleanliness to all visitors. The beds are truly comfy, not always the case in Thailand, magnificent after long journeys for weary travellers. The hotel is quiet and you can have a coffee and breakfast to set yourself up for the day. There is an excellent connection on their internet and I even managed to Skype my bank in the UK. All around recommendation. Thank you Brooke, we will be back !!

Room Tip: Email Brooke to discuss your needs, she is efficient at responding promptly.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is a great hotel! Only newly opened so all fixtures and fittings are brand new and hotel is very clean. Beds are very comfy and shower is good and strong, best we had all throughout our trip. The owner is a lovely Australian lady who was very kind to let us have a late check out at no extra charge. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The room was quite small but adequate for two people. This a place to stay if you just want a place to sleep and not a place to spend a lot of time in the room.

The stairs could be an issue for luggage but not a deal breaker. Being fairly new the rooms were clean and service was excellent. Let's hope it stays that way! I would definitely stay here again!
About a ten minute walk to the skytrain station. Our room didn't have a window looking out but not a big deal for us, could be for some.
Strange to have a full length mirror in the shower and the tv channels were catered to the Asian community. Just side points, not like we spent a lot of time in the room anyway.
Staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends