“favorite place in Thailand!”
Review of HI Mid Bangkok

HI Mid Bangkok
Ranked #210 of 1,253 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
San Antonio, Texas
“favorite place in Thailand!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was my first "hostel" and it was literally amazing. Perfect location near Victory Monument so you can travel by van to tons of destinations. Right by the BTS sly train and some great malls. The staff was so sweet! They were very helpful and were pleasant in answering all of my questions. The breakfast is simple and good and the lobby has a community fridge for the guests as well as a tv and a cute lounge area to read. The rooms are gorgeous and kept very clean and you can do your laundry there instead of taking it to a laundramat. So happy I found this place!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rebecca H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Chennai
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Been to HI Mid Bangkok for couple of times and again I have a new booking. It is perfect. One of the things is location and I find it to be the best: few steps from Victory Monument, where you can catch a bus anywere. Local busses and minibusses to the islands. As well as there is a skytrain stop in Victory monument so it is easily reachable from the airport too. I very much like the surroundings of MID Bangkok. It is surrounded by the best shopping (cool and modern clothes with 100-200bath just across the street), lots of street food stalls, so the area is quite local. This would be an opposite of the horrible Khao San Road area.

Rooms are nice and clean, and you can isolate yourself with a curtains which is provided with each bed. The bathroom and the shower are also clean. There is always hot water and pressure. Breakfast is good with coffee, tea, juice, fresh milk, cereal, fruits, jam and white bread, also some cookies! The lobby is very cool and you can tell the building inside has been newly renovated. It has a modern Asian style mixed with concrete. Also, lots of travelling books (lonely planets, rough guides, city guides) provided in the upstairs lounge area.

They have dorms and private rooms. At least the private superior twin (1550bath) incl breakfast is a nice room! Havent stayed there yet but have seen it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is a nice wee hostel in Bangkok, very clean and welcoming. Easy to get to from the airport using the airport train and Skytrain. Nice wooden decor, decent sized rooms and bathrooms were good. Very nice outdoor common area on the top floor. I found the guy more helpful and friendly than the woman on reception. Breakfast was OK - lovely fresh fruit, tea or instant coffee and toast but I don't think there was any butter or spread so I never ate the toast. Feels a bit out of the way but the Skytrain stop is close. No real complaint with the hostel but when we return to Bangkok we'll probably stay somewhere a bit closer to the 'main attractions' just coz we like to walk around rather than have to catch public transport everywhere. Generally quiet because it's down an alleyway and off the main street but was kept awake from 3am one morning thanks to a dog outside howling non-stop. Very much doubt this is a regular occurrence though...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hostel is close to Victory Monument where there are a lot of shopping malls etc, to get to the Grand Palace by taxi is around 300 baht if I remember correctly. Clean rooms, water available for purchase, and breakfast was included. Lots of young travelers, we had a private room and it was nice and quiet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShelleyBelle88
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and myself stayed four nights at HI Mid between Christmas and New Year. Excellent base for exploring Bangkok.

Very clean, well decorated, nice lobby area, nice staff, quiet.

We stayed in a double and it was excellent.

Location: not in the middle of downtown, but next to Skytrain BTS. Tip: Take Sky Train to nearest river and take a river boat for 10 baht. Very convenient and nice experience.

• Stayed December 2012
Takamatsu, Japan
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was a wonderful place, with wonderful atmosphere. Easily the nicest place we stayed at during the trip, and remarkably the price was the best too.

I enjoyed talking with the staff, as they were very funny, and very helpful. Would look to stay here again if I had the chance.

Room Tip: All rooms have AC included, so this is convenient
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
HK
Reviewed December 17, 2012

It's been one and a half month I have finished my trip to Thailand - I didn't forget my promise to give claps on this hostel.

Are you first timer to attempt hostels?
Are you looking some place cheap but with high value?
Are you concerning about the reliability of the reviews in the forum?
Do you not sure the limited posts here but all comments are above average?
Are you not sure about whether the photo and videos shows the reality of the hostel.
All the above were my thoughts when I was choosing Hi Mid Bk. But my friends and I want to bid on it and we definitely won the game!

Hi mid Bangkok is opened in Jun2012 as per other travelers’ post. This makes sense that limited reviews are posted (with none below average) here comparing to those with hundreds of posts with goodies and badies.

The hostel was stunning - if you have stereotype on hostels like me before check-in. It doesn't look like a hostel (from my stereotypical images) at all but a stylish with quiet B&B. The hygiene is even above most of the 4-star dusty hotels (comparing to those with carpets on the floor and you never know (and don't want to know!!) what is hidden underneath.

My 3 ppl bedroom shows on the profile picture here - the first door when you see the picture. Why I am that sure is because it looks the same! We have a private bathroom that the staff is so thoughtful to provide shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner. But sometimes I do sneak to the public bathroom and that is another surprise - it is as clean as my private bathroom.

If you have chance you shall go onto the roof to have a look. Another beautiful decorated place for chit chatting.

OK the breakfast here - very simple with milk and some cereal plus some drinks. To be honest we rather to try Thai Food instead of filling up the stomach with the "normal" food that you can grab anywhere. Nonetheless, the most valued part is the staff's service. In the morning if you can see the lady in the kitchen, she will deliver a plate of fresh fruit, of course with her warm smile to you to start you day. Although I am not interested in the breakfast, the morning smile does give me energy to start my day visit in Thailand.

No worries about the security problem. The entrance of the hostel is locked at midnight and there is a staff guarding the entrance overnight. The bedroom is opened with electrical key. There is a locker in the bedroom that I personally put all my passport and belongings (my friends didn't dare to do) and it was safe over the four days. I feel it is even risky to bring them on the street.

The above points are just redundant from the previous reviews and posts in hope of increasing the credibility of the reviews. But there is one thing the other posts don't mention - the flexibility.

The hostel has the flexible policy that it would charge less if you check-in late / check-out early. I can't remember the exact time I think this is very worthy-noted as it shows the plasticity and fairness of the host. One of my friend came late for one night but the host was willing for us to stay in the 3bedroom with charging only two person at the first night. And we were staying in one room over the 3nights.

The only comment is that we found that many taxi drivers don't know how to get to the hostel. But this can be solved very easily as the hostel is so close to the Vic Monument Station (10mins walk) and Fashion Mall (5mins walk) and sometimes we direct the driver to Vic Mon Station and guide them to drive thru.

This will also be a clause that the hostel is not too popular that I hope more people can comment on Hi Mid Bk to make it bright!

I believe in improvement makes competitiveness. For the good sake, I will point the flaws in Hi mid although they are critical.
1. the common area is too hot to stay, although there are huge fans in the common area. We didn't want to stay there after the shower.
2. Wifi - the wifi is quite unstable. But it is not a problem as we finally bought the unlimited 3G card which is cheap too!

Overall, unlike the usual rigid hotels, Hi Mid gives a warm stay with stylish environment and more importantly -- valuable prices!! I highly recommend this to those who want to smartly and effective spend their travel expense in Thailand. And this definitely changes my impression to hostels from now on.

***Thank for your patience in reading such a long long passage!! Hope you enjoy it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends