Lodge 61
$253
$464
Mandarin Oriental
  • Pool
All reviewssukhumvit roadekamai btschicken piedeposit bahtcomfortable sleeppriced hotelincluding breakfastcomplimentary waterair conditioningminute walkclean roomsnight staynice roombreakfast buffetwifitrainlaptop
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I booked this hotel because its location, closed to Ekamai BTS Station and some places to eat and it was perfect to my requirement. Luckily the Sleep Quality and Cleanliness were fine, room was really basic and breakfast was very poor.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I book different hostels/hotel when in Bangkok. I chose this among those I scout because it's close to Sukhumvit where the life is plus it's also very accessible to the BTS station (Ekkamai).
I arrived at 11am at the station from a Phuket and I still can see 2 malls open to where I'll pass by to get to Lodge61. I was surprised that from afar, it looked like a building, and the as I walk toward the open lobby, it seemed like it's an outdated, old style building, it's so gloomy and dark. It seemed that it did not try to upgrade the over all interior and look of the hostel while all others have chic, modern eclectic, or themed interior and exterior (Chinese lanterns hung, not much lights at the lobby, etc.).
None of the staff cared to accompany me to my room, it felt from creepy from the elevator to the hallway, and in the room. The room interior is also outdated, with basic old style furniture and fixtures in brown varnish, flatscreen TV with very few cable English channels, a noisy a/c, shower area and toilet in one space, bathroom door that doesn't lock, and the door card that shuts off the light and a/c a number of times. It's so creepy and gloomy. What I like though is having my own fridge, safe deposit box, comfortable mattress/pillow, clean sheets and bathroom.
I also hear the noise from people downstairs even when they talk late at night, the noise from other rooms too.
I also had my room changed to 3/F to have one with window, to my dismay the room has a small balcony where the exhaust fan is. It's a huge exhaust that you don't want to bethere hanging out and the view is not nice anyway. It's faced against another building where there are tenants as well. Not much privacy.
I'm also disappointed with the breakfast, it says on one of the reviews I've read it's buffet and the pad thai is a must try. Again, to my dismay, it's just the usual jam-butter-bread-coffee-juice with either a choice of fried rice, congee, noodles depending on which is offered for the day. I opted to buy breakfast outside or just have brunch if I can.
Generally the staff (or I'd say the owners who are at the reception at day) at day don't look approachable and always busy so I cannot ask for some direction or advice on my itinerary.
I realized too how far it is to stay in Sukhumvit coming from the famous landmarks (Grand Palace, Asiatique, Victory Monument, Pratunam/Petchburi area). The only convenience is being close to BTS, Thong Lor, Siam, JJ.
If could have let 1 night pass just to recover from a long day or flight, but would rather stay at other places along Sukhumvit.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I booked his hotel for its proximity to Ekamai bus station (or eastern bus station) and as promised it was very well located.

This area is set up with a lot of western food, mcdonalds, KFC, coffee club and so on, but there are also few local places to eat.

My room effectively had no window (room 404) but was reasonable in size with a fridge and tv showing local stations (including TV Australia and BBC news for English speakers).

Cons: hot water in shower would not turn on no matter what combination of buttons were pressed. As it was so hot I was not worried to simply have a cold shower. Also, I did hunt down a little cockroach, but only saw one and was not bothered.

Beds are VERY hard, but that's what I like so again, not a problem.

Checked out at 6:00am with only minor delay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This hotel is located in Sukhumvit area, just a stone throw away from Ekamai BTS station. There's also an inter-city bus station located not far away from the hotel, which made commuting easier.

The room is quite simple, but it is very neat and comfortable. The breakfast provided was okay, but one thing I liked the most is the coffee machine. However one thing bad is the sound insulation in room which is quite bad. You can easily hear the noise from the hotel aisle when people entering or leaving their room. But it's not quite an issue for me since I'm able to fall asleep quite easily. Overall a reasonably priced hotel with very comfortable room. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed here for one night after arriving on a late flight into Bangkok. The next day we had to take the bus from Ekkemai bus station. Hence the location of the hotel is perfect, even for going into town as the BTS sky train is located a mere 2 minute walk from the hotel. Also a McDonalds is located next door, in a small shopping mall, as is a 7-eleven. The rooms are clean, with the exception of one cockroach and a few ants. Furthermore the mattresses are rather hard. The bathroom is good including the hot shower. Staff is helpful but not overly friendly. Breakfast is Thai food or white bread with jam. All in all good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple