“You must see this”

Ranked #9 of 581 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Bangkok's famous palace complex was built in 1782 and features several magnificent buildings including Wat Phra Kaeo (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), which contains a beautiful Emerald Buddha that dates back to the 14th century.
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The grand palace is one of those must see places. It was absolutely packed the morning I went and I have heard since, that it is better to go in the afternoon - fewer people, but hotter. Do dress appropriately or you will have to hire clothes. The guidelines can be found on the Internet or from a tour guide. The temple that houses the emerald Buddha is just one part of the complex. The palace grounds themselves are very interesting. You can save money by going on your own but I recommend a guide. My guide was excellent and gave me a lot of information about the complex, Buddhism and Thai history.

1  Thank BrissyGirl00

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I think nearly every tourist, foreign and domestic must come to the Palace every day, because it was packed & our guide mentioned that it was a little "slow." Even though every where you turn there were crowds of people. Everyone seemed to move at a good pace and nothing was left out on our tour.

You can go it alone, or get head sets. But the grounds are just so big and each temple, building, mural, architecture has its own story. It really is best to go on a tour. We did a private one (Absolute Bangkok) so we could continue with our own pace rather than waiting on random people.
There are a LOT of hawkers outside the grounds; be very careful about belongings as we where told many times about pick pockets ect....

Dress code is very important: Do not embarrass the Thai people or yourself by showing up in shorts and singlet tops, because it is just not allowed. Take your camera, enjoy the beautiful gardens and magnificent buildings and get to appreciate some lovely Thai culture.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This glitzy and ornate place is overwhelming, clean, and the crowds we not a hindrance.

I hope you bring a big memory card for your brain and one for your camera!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Although I believe the King now lives in a suburb with more trees to escape the heat, the architecture is still astounding. It is well preserved and the grounds are beautifully kept.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Unmissable and unique in my experience. Relatively expensive. Very crowded mid morning, may be fewer people earlier and later in the day. But there are other sights in Bangkok which should not be overlooked.

Been to The Grand Palace? Share your experiences!