“A must do (don't forget to cover up!)”
Review of The Grand Palace

Ranked #9 of 569 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Bangkok's famous palace complex was built in 1782 and features several magnificent buildings including Wat Phra Kaeo (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), which contains a beautiful Emerald Buddha that dates back to the 14th century.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Grand Palace is a must do when in BKK (even if like us you are only there for 1 full day). Recommend going early before it gets too humid (it is open every day 8am - 4pm) and take a fan and plenty of drinking water. Don't forget to pack some layers to cover your legs/arms/shoulders & closed toe shoes (if you forget you can queue to hire some Thai clothes but I imagine these are rather stinky!) Oh and remember your camera!

There are newer reviews for The Grand Palace

Date visited 12/02/2013
Entrance Fee 500 Baht - foreigners of all ages, free for Thai nationals
Dress code - conservative, strongly recommended to wear long pants, tops with sleeves covering down to elbows and shoes with covered toes or socks with sandals (shudder).

Now some people were allowed in with 3/4 pants, long shorts, dresses above the knee, sleeveless tops. Other people were not. There did not seem to be a pattern as to who got through and who was rejected so to speak.

It is only a handful of days a year this complex is closed - less than 6 days. So it is not closed when some 'helpful' person insists on telling you this and then lets you know they know someone who can take you to a bargain......yeah right.

An amazing complex. Full of wonder, crowds, statues, carvings, craftsmanship, colour, porcelin tiles, plaster work, wood laquer, stone work, inlaid mother of pearl, Buddha's, murals, plants - did I mention the crowds? You will be jostled. Do not let this put you off visiting this site.

There are several toliets onsite and a cafe as you are exiting the complex but still in the grounds.

We spent 3 hours there today and still feel like I should of stayed longer. So many nooks and crannys to work your way round and photograph. I am surprised my camera didn't passout from the workout I gave it today.

I saw a couple of people trying to push strollers around today and was so glad it was not me. Not a stroller friendly place just due to the volume of people.

I would visit this site again and just not think too much about the entrance fee cost.......

3  Thank FlightlessKiwi-NZ
Reviewed February 12, 2013

So beautiful and so much to see, worth every baht....
Make sure you cover up but wear something light too as it'll be HOT!
Probably best first thing in the morning if you are an early bird....

Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Grand Palace on the third day of our visit. This was the second time we visited the Grand Palace as our two kids had never been there. It was as beautiful as before. Our first visit was 14 years ago. I could not remember it to be that busy. This time the place was flooded with Tourists. There were also quite a lot of local school kids visiting the palace for school projects.
The Grand Palace was huge, beautiful and shiny. One can probably spend the whole day exploring the place if time allows. However, we had limited time and after all you will probably get pushed around by crowded tourists and be forced to move on very fast.
In general, the Grand Palace is worth a visit!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I would definitely say the Grand Palace is a great start to a list of attractions to see while in Bangkok. It was interesting learning more about Buddha, and the different parts of the Wats are truly breathtaking. I am not a huge history person, but the Grand Palace kept my interest. Be advised: no showing legs, arms, or feet- both men and women. However, just across the street you can buy a beautiful skirt or dress to cover up with & bring it home as a souvenir.

Been to The Grand Palace? Share your experiences!