“Superb Location”
Review of Riva Surya Bangkok

Riva Surya Bangkok
Ranked #21 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We chose Riva Surya as its new and closes to Khaosan Road. We want to explore the area. The hotel has been refurbished and been open for 9 months. We were on 2nd Floor, it was a low season so wasn't crowded at all.
Room - We stayed in Premium Riva Room with Balcony & Breakfast. Bed & pillow were so comfortable and top quality. Balcony was good as we sat & watch the storm rolling in. Also quiet too i pay a bit more for this room as the Urban room faces the street were too noisy.
Breakfast - Really good coffee, very limited on choices. We stayed there for 4 nights and Breakfast menu was boring as it offered same food every day.
Pool - Pool n Bar Area is a bit crammed. Wouldn't want to be here in high season.
Bar - We had drinks there every night. Cocktail menu were quite creative. i wasn't too impressed when i asked for Pina Colada and it was serve in an old plastic Tumbler with no decorations. Cocktail meant to look impressive n creative?
Services - Excellent, all staff were very helpful n courteous.
Getting there - Since its new many Taxi Driver doesn't know it's there. Tell them to go to Thanon Phra Artid (Thanon means road) it's on riverside adjacent to Soi Chana Songkhram n 7-11. There is Bus stop right in front of the hotel.
Soi Chana Songkhram connects to Ram Buttri, you can find a lot of Restaurant n side street shops along the way. We ate at Pad Thai stall on the street n it was really good!
Overall this hotel is in the heart of BKK, closes to Khaosan Road, many of local shopping mall n market close by, distance away to MRT or BTS due to traffic jam. If u like Street food but like to stay at an upper class hotel then you should check out this Hotel.

Room Tip: For better sleep quality choose the one along riverside. The Urban room faces the street and it gets...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Perfect position, close to many touristy sites, then the pier for the ferryboat is out of the hotel.
Great swimmingpool, very nice rooms e wondreful breakfast, served nearby the river.
Not too much expansive!

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

1. Location
Good location but the taxi driver does require some help to find the place as the hotel is new. If the driver doesn't know the place, you can quote 'New Siam' as it's just next to it. Hotel is walking distance from the pier 'Tha Phra Arthit' (N13) and about 25 minutes walk to Grand Palace, but there is an alternative to take the boat which is only about 10 minutes.

2. Surrounding
Lots of good food across the hotel especially the small cafes. Walking distance to Khao San from the 7-11 across the hotel, there is a lane leading to Khao San and during the day before 6 pm, there is a short cut to Khao San from Wat Channa Songkram.

3. Hotel Room
Simple room, I thought the finishing looked filmsy, it wasn't as classy as it looked from the photos. It was very noisy after dark when the band started to play from across, the noise level was as good as sitting in a pub. We read reviews about the noise and it wasn't a problem for us. Anyone who prefers a quiet sleep should consider only the river room.

4. Service
Acceptable service but could be better

5. Overview
Likely to come back to the hotel because of the location. Hotel is slightly over-priced.

Room Tip: River room for a quiet sleep and if you don't mind the noise, the city room is good as it has a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nthreefive
Tim V, General Manager at Riva Surya Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you very much for providing feedback on our hotel and very pleased to know that you would come back to us again, although obviously disappointed that you were not fully satisfied with the service, if you could advise which part of our service we could improve I would be most grateful.

Regarding the noise from the bar opposite the street of which they are occasionally too loud, we are pleased to advise that plans are underway to have an additional double sliding door on all our Urban rooms which are the only ones effected, as such this will solve the issue.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a comment and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Tim Vongswang

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at Riva Surya on my first trip ever to Thailand. First of all, great location. It’s close to many touristy sites. A 3-minute ride on a “tuk tuk” (only 50 bahts, or US$1.5) got me to the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha. There is a pier right outside of the hotel with a speed boat that takes you to Asiatique for shopping (be aware that the last boat back to the hotel is around 9pm though...I lost track of time and ended up taking a taxi). The night market is within walking distance.

Second, I LOVE the designs of the rooms, the hallway, the lounge…everything! It’s chic with a classic touch. The hotel molds its accent candles in house. There is even a stuffed peacock as you walk in! It’s such a precious gem and definitely stands out among its surroundings.

Other great things include a beautiful and relaxing outdoor pool, friendly and polite staff, affordable massages (only 300 bahts / hour…such a good deal!), iMacs in the lobby for the guests to use etc. It was all around a great experience and I’d definitely recommend this place. I would totally stay here when I visit Bangkok again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sandy X
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The positives

Amazing cooling riverside location yet right int the centre and a 5 min walk to the hustle and bustle of kao San road. Verry relaxing lying by the pool watching the river boats and barges go by. Gorgeous bedrooms, great wifi signal, excellent service from concierges and restaurant team. Proper luxury. There is also a lovely wee restaurant across the road called good story whcih does lovely dinner and lunches as well as relaxed live music.

Negatives
These are insignificant to the positives but:
The urban rooms are noisy ( ear plugs provided) until about 11-midnight because of the open air bar across the street. We didn't mind as we're out most nights.
The reception staff who charged us at the end were pretty pedantic and not coursed on customer service. Maybe they are not used to group bookings:
We used this hotel as a meet up with 5 friends after 4 months on our round the world honeymoon. In total over 4 days we probably spent over £1000. The first friends arrived on a Saturday and had a room. The other 3 arrived on Sunday morning and we had a train to koh tao that eve. I had advised the hotel this and was assured all ok at checkin that we could get drinks at the pool on Sunday and then leave. But
1. It was £15,to use the pool - fair enough- and as soon as a friends went in the reception man came running out insisting I pay cash for this at that moment. I asked to add to bill and he declined. Massive hassle.
2. They missed £10 off our bill when we checked out, which we didn't realise after just paying our massive bill. We left our bags and nipped across the road to have something to eat. We were in a rush and when we had taxis and nipped back for our bags they called security and insisted we couldn't leave until we had settled the last bill. Really poor and utterly stressful.

Despite that we still returned at the end of our stay, but were very vary about bills and charges.

Also agree with comments below. Poo and wu were excellent!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Faybear

Thank you very much for the wonderful comments you made regarding our hotel and staff, however I am concerned regarding the two points.

First being the cash payment for non-hotel guests using the pool which was an error on the part of our staff who informed you that you could not sign this charge for the room, we have now ensured that all staff are aware that this charge can be posted to the room.
Regarding point two, it appears that the bill from the restaurant was not posted in time for the front office to add to the total amount of which you had already settled, again we have adjusted the procedure.

I can certainly appreciate the stress these situations caused and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I would also like to thank you for a taking the time to write these comments so that we may improve our services. I have also ensured that Poo and Wut know that their attention to service has not gone unnoticed.

Regarding the Urban rooms and noise from the bar across the street, I am pleased to report that work is now underway to install another set of sliding doors so that on the occasions that the bar’s music is too loud it will not affect our guest rooms.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Tim Vongswang

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Every person on staff was very helpful at the Riva Surya for my first stay in Bangkok. Although I cannot remember everyone's name... (Boopsy, Patti, Tai, Wit and Ong) I was always greeted with smiles and a "Sawatdee Ka/Krab" - I loved it there! It began with a phone call from the U.S. when I asked if they could provide transportation services for my stay and Mr. Wit was very helpful and helped me to be at ease before departing from WA. Mr. Ong, my "driver", was the best! He made sure I was where I needed to be-on time, everytime- lol because I used there "limo" service for long distances. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better for me and my husband because we could walk to sights and also hop the water taxi to The Grand Palace, Wat Arun, and Wang Lang Market. It is located close to Khao San Road also. The restaurant in the hotel made great Thai food, the Som Tam Salad I ordered was very spicey but very good and the Satay, Thai Chicken, Sticky Rice, beer and wines were very good also. One evening the restaurant made a Thai soup for me after the restaurant was closed. Very nice of them considering it was after hours. Our view of the Chaopraya River was amazing and the bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've been in for a hotel stay. I had such a memorable time for my fist visit to Bangkok, I absolutely fell in love with this place. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side and on the left side of the building are the best. My room 404 and 304.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Arriving in Bangkok can be an overwhelming experience with so many sights, sounds and smells. It was great, therefore, to have such a quiet and relaxing place to return to each day after a busy time sightseeing. Excellent location near the backpacking centre of Khao San road and right on the banks of the river (tip: use the river tram as a convenient way of traversing Bangkok). The room was clean and spacious and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The bar and restaurant served excellent cocktails and the menu had a good mix of local Thai and western dishes. The pool area was nicely laid out and I advise talking advantage of a poolside massage. Finally, the staff, Wit, Poo, Joe, Sup etc were kind, courteous and eager to help. A thoroughly relaxing stay - I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple