“Stylish and well-located on Sukhumvit”
Review of The Cabochon Hotel

The Cabochon Hotel
Ranked #11 of 728 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed in March 2013 for 5 nights. We really enjoyed staying here, v. handy to the BTS and walkable for Thonglor. The hotel is quiet and the roof-top pool amazing. We stayed in one of the cheaper rooms: the decor charming and colonial but still modern, not at all fusty or chintzy. My only gripe here was the liberal use of tortoise/turtle shells in the hallway: I really hoped they were sourced ethically (if that's possible??)... The room was a bit too small, it would be ideal for a single person a bit squeezy for two. The breakfast in the morning was excellent the only pity being the coffee: a place like this demands a proper espresso machine, but we found our hit around the corner at Segafredo (on Sukhumvit) or at Farm Design, in the food hall at the top of the Emporium Mall nearby. The staff were friendly and helpful. Unfortunately we didn't get time to dine in but Quince almost next door is worth a look.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This beautiful hotel located in the center of Bangkok, only 8 rooms and 5 apartments, I treat it home away from home. It is so comfortable, you've been treated like house guest. I love the design, the room, the food. Specially the host/owner of the hotel she always there to taking good care of us. It is remarkable place. The service is awesome, the people are so friendly. I will going back again for sure.

Room Tip: If you travel in group, book the apartment, you will feel really like at home.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 871RachelW
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This hotel could almost be alive it has that much personality. Warm, welcoming, homely and a real sense of place so hard to find in an Asian city these days with their insatiable craving for modernity. I couldn't have felt more at home, a fantastic relief to return to after a busy day in the city to return to this oasis of calm. Great location, a few mins walk to the BTS and tucked down a short residential lane, only adding to the charm of the place, the sense of home and of course gauranteed peace and quiet. Old world charm with modern conveniance, wonderful night's sleep, excellent WIFI, and what a shower...more a monsoon shower than a rain shower, superb. I loved my stay here, a business trip and a meeting which was held over lunch at Cabochon. And yes the F + B service was equally excellent. A great lunch, a successful meeting and a wonderful stay, Bangkok's best kept secret? Well, this secret's best shared!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 208, wonderfully sunny, spacious room with lounge and bedroom and the world's b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank PHWalker
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is perfect if you like smaller hotels with some personality. The people at the hotel is very nice and helpful. Breakfast is good. Beds and rooms very nice.
the pool at the top of the hotel is perfect in the hot days in Bangkok. Very quiet and not much people since the hotel has very few rooms.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stinehen
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel is pricier than many of the guest houses but it's worth it. It is a real boutique hotel - small, charming, not a chain. It's an old house and they've renovated it to create very nice updated rooms while maintaining the antique feel. It was large, airy, nicely decorated and quite premium.

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite with a separate living room (couch, big table) and bedroom. It was too big for...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank allisonlaux
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Cabochon is a gem of a hotel in the city. I loved the location it was in... there is a gorgeous restaurant and interiors store on the same road, and lots of great places nearby. The hotel design is beautiful. The owners have spent a lot of time paying attention to detail. The bed linen and pillows were very high quality and the room had a great shower.

There were a few things that didn't work properly that staff should tend to... The handle on the toilet in our room was broken and the pumps for the conditioner and body wash in the shower room weren't working so we couldn't use either of these things. Luckily I had brought my own. The breakfast was only ok and the hot tea that I ordered was given to me cold. Also, when I arrived in the evening time the place was lacking in atmosphere - the staff could have turned on some music and asked me if I would like a drink at the bar, or shown me around the hotel. They just checked me in and gave me my key so the hospitality wasn't there. Its the little touches and the great staff that can make a boutique hotel a magical experience but unfortunately it was lacking in these areas.

Overall, I would stay in this hotel again as it is so beautiful but I hope that the management takes note of how to improve.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelgalLondon
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I was stimulated to try this hotel after a recommendation in Gourmet Traveller (if my memory serves) - a real hot spot. Hmmm. It is a lovely property in an interesting part of Bangkok that is well worth getting to know. The hotel is beautiful - the decor is chic, intriguing and overall the place is very comfortable, and the staff are terrific. Maybe I dined there on an off night, but I was the only one in the bar and one of three people in the restaurant, either that or there was a bit of journalistic licence in the review. The food is good but you'd be better off taking a 10 minute stroll to Bo-Lan.

Like its sister hotel the Eugenia, it is a property that is a little left of centre which is great, but some things were just a bit annoying. The toilet in my room didn't work properly and had running repairs rather than being fixed. Staff training was a little wayward and the drinks bill needed watching. The continental breakfast was dismal and coffee, like an espresso or latte, was extra. Did I like the hotel, yes. Would I stay again, probably not.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo