“Good food at affordable price worth trying”
Review of Som Tam Nua

Som Tam Nua
Ranked #615 of 10,959 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Siam
Singapore
“Good food at affordable price worth trying”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

It was crowded when we went there but it didn't take long to get a table. However, when we went past the restaurant a few days later, there was a long queue. Food was nice and affordable but we are not sure whether it's worth queuing for it. Ordered fried chicken with garlic, grilled pork neck and fried noodles (I think). Both chicken and pork dishes were nice, but I don't think you should spend time queuing for it.

• Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Bangkok's hidden somtum treasure!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

One of my favorite places to eat in Bangkok. Definitely try the Fried Chicken basket, Tum Mua, Kanom Jeen Phat and Kor Moo Yang.
Their Nam Jim Jao is one of the best spicy dips i've ever tried.
Try not to go during lunch or dinner hours or you will find yourself waiting on line.
Make a reservation so you don't have to wait on line. Give them a call at 02-251-4880.

Singapore, Singapore
“Best fried chicken in Bangkok”
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Yummy fried chicken. It is very busy so I come in before 6pm as service is slow so don't expect changing of tables and set up will be quick. Other food are so so but just the fried chicken alone keeps me coming back for more.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good just falling short of great”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Visited the somtam nua restaurant last Sunday evening, around 830pm which admittedly was the peak of the rush hour dinner crowd, as it is located in a cramped alleyway just look out for the crowds waiting outside for a table, you just need to out your name on the list and your orders will be taken immediately, after a wait of around 20min, my companion and I were ushered to our table, shortly therefore drink orders were taken and then the food started arriving,
The somtam for which it was awarded the honorable mention on the CNNgo list for best somtam was admittedly delicious albeit somewhat too salty for my palate, the fried chicken is indeed a must try item on the menu-crunchy and for a garlic lover like me totally addictive with the addition of fried garlic chips on top, we also ordered the fried fish with Thai dressing which was also delicious, to top it all off we had a northern style Thai soup-which was the let down item amongst all the dishes.
Cost around thb850- so rather expensive rustic Thai cuisine, although you need to factor in the convenient location and the authentic nature of the food,
Definitely worth a visit if your in the siam square area, very short walk from the paragon shopping center and very convenient for the people stopping at the siam bts hub,

Wellington, New Zealand
“Looked promising until...”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I took our 2 daughters to this place which looked great & had a busy, upbeat feel. There were plenty of young waiting staff zooming all over the place & all was looking promising until the following....
We indicated clearly by pointing out what we wanted to order from the menu and indicating quantities with our fingers (a method that has served us well all over south east Asia). The guy who took our order nodded & so we sat back and waited for our order. Half our order arrived promptly, so far so good. These dishes were eaten entirely and still we were waiting on another bowl of rice and my wife's main dish. Efforts to catch the attention of waiting staff failed and it was apparent they felt we were some sort of hassle. Only after my wifes frantic waving could no longer be ignored did they produce one other dish we had ordered (my daughters noodles) yet my wifes main and rice was still missing so we reiterated what was originally ordered...more nodding and smiling by the waiter.. By now the rest of us had all finished eating and my wife and I were truly mistified by the lack of service.
As if things couldn't get any more annoying we had to give up in the end and I asked for the bill (even this I had to get out of my seat and walk over to a cluster of waiting staff to ask...by now I am l getting very frustrated).
The bill was produced & I was very aware I didn't want to be overcharged so I checked it carefully & all seemed in order (446THB). I paid with a 1,000THB note and waited for my 554THB change. The waiter returned with only 534THB and the original receipt was missing. I asked for it back, he took me downstairs and the cashier typed up another receipt..this time adding another bowl of rice (which we never received) onto the bill so it fitted with the change! I would have stayed and argued about this had my wife not been so desperate to eat that we had to walk around the corner and get her a burger.

This has to be one of the worst dining experiences we have had! Terrible service! I want to stress that this should not simply be put down to language barriers. We have dined in many restaurants all over Asia and never had problems communicating what we wish to eat...especially when the menu has both images and English translation.

2 Thank voonman