“A charming restaurant”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Banglamphu
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I was having a late afternoon stroll in Bangkok when I passed by this quaint little restaurant. I must say, the name got my attention first because it was a book that I had read years ago. I ordered 2 dishes and the chef (who is probably the owner, too) came to me and told me that too much food might not be good for me because it might give me a stomachache. Though I would like to tell her that I could eat a lot, I was touched by her concern and decided to follow her motherly advice. That means she's not just after the business, she cares about her customers, too. Anyway, I got a chicken dish in coconut cream and a rice shaped like a teddy bear - what a cutie! Tasted great, too. I only had a short stay in Bangkok but the next time I go back I will definitely visit this restaurant again.

2  Thank RamblingRunner

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I love the food in Bangkok, so fresh and the flavors both bold and subtle at the same time. I enjoyed several meals in high end, expensive places, and then also got to enjoy the small places (much less expensive). The small places win in Bangkok. The two women who were running the place were "Minnesota Friendly", truly warm and welcoming. The place is small, the walls and tables full of misc. stuff, and the tables are certainly broken in, so don't come for the exotic feel of Asia, come for the food. So good, and so reasonable. Street food is cheaper, but this is a step up and you get to sit inside and enjoy the attention of the great staff. While we eat and drank our beer, a single mom was in the place with her small child...when the mom got the call, the staff played with the child in the back of the room. Its that kind of place. Enjoy!

1  Thank PeterfromPhilly
Reviewed January 10, 2014

it's a place out of any places, it seems when you enter that little room you are no longer in bangkok, maybe in paris or spain... and when the little thai woman come to bring you those tasty potatoes chips you cannot avoid smiling at her and hug her... she is such a powerful and energetic person and this is confirmed by the love she put in all the dishes she prepares with her hands as if all of us were her children. We were 11 people and she was able to prepare fastly one of the best dinner I've evere had in 2 weeks vacation in Thailand

1  Thank Loredana B
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Nothing big or fancy but very tiny, cute and having some kind of a home atmosphere. We went in for a caffe and to relax and refresh after the long walk and firstly we liked the interior a lot. Waiters were nice, caffe was great, the music as well and shortly, we enjoyed our time in Joy Luck Club.
At the end we decided to take a small snack and it was very good choice, the best spring roles in our lives.
Highly recomended!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I'm Thai and just found this nice Thai restaurant to dinner with friend. I live in Bangkok but not knowing much about which restaurant is having good Thai dishes near Pha Artit road. Accidentally, I walk passed Joy Luck Club and my friend told me that this restaurant is famous so we interested and just tried it out. We ordered two menus : Omelette Formula 1(special formula omelette by the owner and she also have Formula 2 we) and fried tofu with vegetables. Both menus are tasty and make we wanna try other menus next time. Also, lemon juice is great refreshing. It is the real Thai food I think.