“Amazing!”

Ranked #125 of 12,102 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sathorn
Description: By Customer Tripadvisor review... This smallish, cozy Italian restaurant in the heart of the city offers some of the best Italian food in Bangkok. Situated in a stand-alone Thai house, it has both indoor and outdoor seating and a room for private parties. The prices are average but the food is exceptionally good. There are weekly specialties on offer but the standard fair includes homemade pastas, salads, antipasti, fish, beef, lamb, chicken, and, of course, their famous pizza. They also have homemade desserts and an impressive wine list as well as a fully-stocked bar. Definitely worth a visit.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Bolognese felt like the best restaurants in Italy. We had caprese with imported barrata, gnocchi with lamb ragout, spinach ravioli, and 3 glasses of tasty house wine and the bill was a bargain at $60 us. I will definitely return! Also loved the amuse bouche and intermezzo sorbet.

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We finally arrived at Il Bolognese after our very naughty taxi driver had driven us round the block a couple of times and dropped us outside the secret garden. ..We almost went into the secret garden as we were weary and hungry but luckily talking pidgin Thai and pointing and talking loudly and slowly got us to our destination. And how lucky were we to persevere. It has to be one of the best Italian restaurants I have ever been to before. .The food was superb but the attentive discreet service was absolutely incredible. The attention to detail just made our evening absolutely fantastic. A huge pat on the back to the owner and may i wish him huge success for the future as he really does deserve it.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Il bolognese - formerly sambuca - has been one of our long-term favourite restaurants in bangkok: consistently great food and service in a family-friendly setting. Over the past year the new manager has introduced quite a few delicious dishes while also retaining some of our favourite classic dishes. Many happy family meals! We love it.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We enjoyed our best Pizza since living more than 6 years in Bangkok. Prepared with special dough you don't feel replete after you dinner. They have great choice of fresh salads and the house wine completes your meal. Their staff is friendly and service is fast and professional. We also liked their small garden which differentiate Il Bolognese definitely from the other Italian crowds mainly nestled along Sukhumvit Road. Prices are European standard but worth in case you like to explore an authentic taste of Italy. A place worth to come back.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Nice large Restaruant. A bit on the dark side.

Of to a bad start... Stale bread which is a shame as there is nice oil and vinegar.

Minestrone soup (no pasta). Need to check on that authenticity. Lots of vegetable, very hot so it had to sit for at least 5 mins before I could taste it. Overall was fine. Seasoning maybe a little bit on the salty side, even for my Scottish palette.

And speaking of Scotland, the soup reminded me of a very homely broth, deep stock flavour, beans well cooked and lots of vegetables that have released their flavour into to soup ie well cooked. 4 out of 10.

My main course, risotto with Italian sausage and saffron. My first comment is well done to chef as it was not over-cooked. An excellent bite to the rice. But.... I think they could have used a fuller flavour stock and extracted more starch out of the rice. Not sure how much onion and garlic were used. The balance of the use of saffron was excellent. 7 out of 10.

To finish I went for tiramisu. What a long wait.. It had better be worth it! No, I sent it back. Enough said. 2 out of 10.

Service very good attentive but not intrusive.

A very good menu item is the half litre of house wine. Keeps you away from a whole bottle but prevents the need to buy multiple glasses during the meal. The house red is drinkable, not heavy but has some body.

Overall I picked items that I can cook myself even the bread. And I give this a thumbs down at 3 maybe 4 out of 10.